Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have 2014 ZX6r, and one of my headlights is gone. I was wondering what bulbs do you recommend on getting these days? I guess can't go wrong with pretty much any H7 LED bulb right?
Font Office supplies Camera accessory Audio equipment Screenshot

This is one of the first ones I found on amazon, any thoughts? Not sure what Lm I'm exactly after
Also I'm wondering if the rear fan piece will have any fitment issues with the cap cover?

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
First question….. when you say one of the bulbs is gone, do you mean that you only have one low beam?

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
This is something I have been debating for a long time. The most critical factor is how much farther ‘backwards’ the fan assembly on the back of the led bulb sticks out compared to the H7.

There is a limited amount of clearance between the forks and that dimension when the steering is full left or right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I see, I did this also for 2008 fireblade, and was just riding without the covers from what I can remember, but I don't know if it's a good idea.

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
The boots around the lamps keep crud from getting into the headlight housing.... Having said that I haven't had those boots on my bike since I bought it used 9 years and 60+K miles ago.

·
Registered
272 Posts
..if you WANT the inside of your headlight lenses to NOT be spotless, clear, free of spider webs than leaving the cover off is the way for you.

and to clean all that out your will have to put your headlights into an over - then split then in half to clean the insides of the headlight lens...

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
..if you WANT the inside of your headlight lenses to NOT be spotless, clear, free of spider webs than leaving the cover off is the way for you.

and to clean all that out your will have to put your headlights into an over - then split then in half to clean the insides of the headlight lens...
or shove a microfiber in the opening and a long thin but strong/flexible shaft to swish it around

but yes the covers serve a purpose and depending on the weather and air quality where you ride could effect some more than others

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stock H7 was 58mm, these are the bulbs I used and they fit inside the headlight housing. There was just enough space behind the bulb. YMMV.

So far, so good with these bulbs. They are bright enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just tried installing similar ones to yours, and obviously the rubber backing doesn't fit at all as I would've guessed. Would this cause any problems when it comes to rain, to have that fan part sticking out and also the cable is no longer in any housing (normally sits in the rubber cover)?

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
I just tried installing similar ones to yours, and obviously the rubber backing doesn't fit at all as I would've guessed. Would this cause any problems when it comes to rain, to have that fan part sticking out and also the cable is no longer in any housing (normally sits in the rubber cover)?
That plug looks pretty well protected. 90’s cars had headlight plugs super exposed. Just put some dielectric grease on the blades/pins and call that good.

Just make sure to cycle your steering and make sure you don’t snap anything off.

P.S. Retrofitting proper HID projectors (with built-in cutoff bars so you’re not blinding anyone) is an amazing upgrade. Properly focused light that you won’t outrun at faster highway speeds. Costs time and money but was well worth it. Plenty of threads on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That plug looks pretty well protected. 90’s cars had headlight plugs super exposed. Just put some dielectric grease on the blades/pins and call that good.

Just make sure to cycle your steering and make sure you don’t snap anything off.

P.S. Retrofitting proper HID projectors (with built-in cutoff bars so you’re not blinding anyone) is an amazing upgrade. Properly focused light that you won’t outrun at faster highway speeds. Costs time and money but was well worth it. Plenty of threads on it.
Are there any inexpensive retrofit solutions? Most I’ve seen are hundreds of dollars, like the morimoto. Ideal would be to fit something up for $50.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Are there any inexpensive retrofit solutions? Most I’ve seen are hundreds of dollars, like the morimoto. Ideal would be to fit something up for $50.

No. Projectors, ballasts, igniters and bulbs are not cheap. You could maybe find a kit in the $150 range but it’s gonna be garbage. Nothing good happening for $50.

HID projectors are not a small lighting upgrade. It’s an absolute epiphany of lighting, especially on dark roads at whatever speed. Motorcycle lighting is incredibly weak even on many newer bikes. Don’t know why they refuse to put in quality lighting. If you want cool looking bulbs, get them. If you want lighting improvement, you have to change the entire lighting system.

Doesn’t matter what bulb you put in a reflector, it’s limited because it’s not focused light. You can only really change the color temperature and fill of the cast pattern that’s already there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I seem to have bigger problem than a bad bulb. I have swapped out for another new one, and it’s still not working. I took to garage and they said the problem might be the ignition switch, it’s supposed to dim the light when bike powers up so maybe that is stuck. Something they will check next week, any thoughts? Maybe someone here had this problem? The light actually rarely cuts in just driving down the road, although less than it used to

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
Light bulbs require a source of power, and a return path to the battery to complete the circuit. Loss of either side of the circuit will stop the bulb from lighting. Check your grounds. Take the connection apart and clean off the corrosion so so have bright bare metal. Treat with dielectric grease and reassemble.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
One wire to your low bulb goes live (12v) when the bike is started. On my 2006 it’s blue. The other is ground (black). Hi beam should have a black (ground) as well, and a red. You should be able to put a multimeter to the wires and get 12v in proper state. Key on, the hi beam should light. Low beam, only when bike is started.

Check for ohm continuity between black wires and ground at frame and ground at engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts