Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 636 KRT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy from Kentucky here. I've been riding for about 15 years all on Kawi's. Hopefully I can soak up as much knowledge as I can from you guys and continue to learn and add to my craft. I started out on a 2000 zx6 then moved to a 2003 636 (My most beloved bike). After a few five years or so I picked up a 2007 zx6 (Most hated bike). Two weeks ago I found a 2020 636 KRT w/ zero miles at the local dealership and jumped all over it (Amazing thus far). Anyways, glad to be here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious what makes you say you hated your 2007. I have a 2008 I just picked up the other day, have gotten about 100 miles in the saddle now. It's my first sportbike (came from Enduros). What made you dislike that gen of ZX6R?

New bike looks awesome btw!

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Where in Kentucky you at? I'm western

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Greetings!

·
Registered
2020 636 KRT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm curious what makes you say you hated your 2007. I have a 2008 I just picked up the other day, have gotten about 100 miles in the saddle now. It's my first sportbike (came from Enduros). What made you dislike that gen of ZX6R?

I believe it initially was where I had came from a long time on the 03' 636. My 07 just felt underwhelming to me. It was more of a feel issue that's hard to explain. It wasn't bad mechanically I just never was happy with it and ended up selling it to a buddy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe it initially was where I had came from a long time on the 03' 636. My 07 just felt underwhelming to me. It was more of a feel issue that's hard to explain. It wasn't bad mechanically I just never was happy with it and ended up selling it to a buddy.
I gotcha; It's my first 600cc (and first sportbike) so it feels like a rocket to me right now. Guess I need to test out my buddy's 636!

·
Registered
623 Posts

Have to say haven't ridden a 2007 or 2008 ZX6 but my first 600 was a Yamaha FZ6 - which was fast after a Ninja 250. From there to a 2012 CBR600RR, more power and better handling but peaky power. Then I had a 2014 ZX6R 636 (my favorite bike). To only have the "cheater' 36ccs it had lots more midrange grunt than the CBR. The CBR felt almost as fast if banging off the rev limiter but for everyday riding was not as nice as the 636. Traded the 636 for a BMW F800 GT now that was maybe my most hated bike! It was a good sport touring bike but a parallel twin that had all the sound characteristics of a coffee can filled with coins bolts and nuts and an 8,500RPM redline. It made descent HP but when I first got it I cannot say how many times I ran it into the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd. Waiting for the power to come on waiting waiting BAM I'm thrown forward by abruptly hitting the rev limiter haha. Didn't have to worry about unexpected wheelies or breaking the rear loose. I never could get used to the engine and wound up trading after 26 months and 26,000 miles for a Yamaha Tracer GT. It's a great bike perhaps a combination in a vague way of the power of the ZX6R with a sport touring chassis like the BMW F800GT. It has a good sound but not the wake up the cops shriek of an I4 at 15,000RPM - I do occasionally miss that. I'm about to head out for a 5 day trip to Topeka KS to pick up a seat and to get away. My wife wants to know why I don't just have it shipped - my response "I need a ride"!

I sold the CBR600RR super cheap and wish I had kept it. It was a beautiful bike and while not as fast as the ZX6R it was a thrilling ride with it's top end peaky power - a bike you ride just for fun. I commuted to work on all these bikes except the BMW and Tracer. LOL I was 63 and riding to work almost every day on my ZX6R 636!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts