Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ive been changing it every 2500-3000 kms or every 2 weeks(yes i ride alot) using motul m1 full synthetic 10w40 and a k&n filter.when it comes time to change my oil thats usualy when the ticking from my bike starts returning and my clutch starts feeling weird, like my shifts wont be smooth anymore. then when i change it it runs perfect.just wondering and worying if im changing it often enough,cause the oil that comes out is also very black.normal:confused

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Are these all track miles? It is unusual for oil to be black after ~1500 miles (sorry, I just think in miles, ya know how it is). I usually change mine between 2k-3k miles and its still only a little discolored by that time. All easy commuting though.

Does your model have an oil cooler? If its getting really hot that can cause pre-mature breakdown.

The only way I know of to really tell if you are changing it often enough and how good the oil that comes out is would be to send it to a lab to be analyized (not expensive). Blackstone is very popular in the states:)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
3000km is probably twice as often as the manual calls for. It is for Suzuki's, I do mine every 3000km, filter as well.

Are you changing your filter at the same time, it holds a bit of oil and are you draining hot? I've found draining it hot gets more of it out, and faster too which seems to carry more contaminants, especially anything that might be floating, it doesn't get a chance to settle at the bottom of the sump.

I always fill the oil filter before fitting it as well so there is less running time needed for the pressure to come up after the change.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I use castrol act-evo with a kawi filter every 1000 miles but my changes are free :D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
is it hard to change the oil & filter by yourself?

(little mechanical experience here)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not hard at all, K&N comes with a ratchet slot. For Kawi, get an oil filter remover tool.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think your oil changes have become so frequent because of some fault. Please get it checked out, unless of course you are driving in 5mph traffic or keeping revs near the red line most of the time. Analysis would be good before getting a mechanic to look at it (would save you time and money).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts