Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2014 ZX6R today, after 1 day of use my gloves failed at the seam.
Purchased in February but due to being 30 days old am only offered a repair by the supplier.
Really concerning that £200 CE2 gloves could fail so badly without having a crash and with 1 days use

Sent from my SM-A805F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
After reading the title of this thread, maybe next time buy some Alpinestars instead...... ;)

anyway ....that is completely unacceptable! I felt the same way about some Dainese gloves that I bought once. I would hope there is some sort of warranty to take advantage of, but it still won’t regain your trust in the gloves. I personally use Held brand.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
From what I have seen and heard, Alpinestars gloves are a crap shoot. I use Held gloves as well, and they hold up extremely well.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Have had good experience and not so good with Alpinstars. Currently have Held Phanton II and they have been fantastic. Only bad thing I can say is they turn my hands black after riding all day in the rain - but that's my fault for using summer gloves in 50F all day rain!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Picked up my 2014 ZX6R today, after 1 day of use my gloves failed at the seam.
Purchased in February but due to being 30 days old am only offered a repair by the supplier.
Really concerning that £200 CE2 gloves could fail so badly without having a crash and with 1 days use

Are you sure they are authentic? Do you have anymore pics of the gloves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure they are authentic? Do you have anymore pics of the gloves?

I paid for authentic from a reputable retailer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Have had good experience and not so good with Alpinstars. Currently have Held Phanton II and they have been fantastic. Only bad thing I can say is they turn my hands black after riding all day in the rain - but that's my fault for using summer gloves in 50F all day rain!
These gloves have never even seen the rain, but like you said if using Summer gloves in that sort of weather you can accept the colour run.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I paid for authentic from a reputable retailer

I only ask because Alpinestars hasn’t made the “GP Tech” model in like 3 years. They were replaced by the “Supertech”. The GP Techs and GP Pros has a lot of fakes going around in the past as well. I think you just have a 4-5 year old model glove. Not sure if that would matter though since they look new.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
After reading the title of this thread, maybe next time buy some Alpinestars instead...... ;)

anyway ....that is completely unacceptable! I felt the same way about some Dainese gloves that I bought once. I would hope there is some sort of warranty to take advantage of, but it still won’t regain your trust in the gloves. I personally use Held brand.
Haha wondered what you was talking about when I first read you post.
Just seen my title
Alpunstars removed lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I only ask because Alpinestars hasn’t made the “GP Tech” model in like 3 years. They were replaced by the “Supertech”. The GP Techs and GP Pros has a lot of fakes going around in the past as well. I think you just have a 4-5 year old model glove. Not sure if that would matter though since they look new.

Thanks for the advise!
I will push for a refund and look for some alternatives

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Want an all black or primarily black/ with white glove so am looking at the Knox Handroid Mk 4 as a possible alternative.
Will speak to retailer today, tell them I'm not happy with a repair and see where I get.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Want an all black or primarily black/ with white glove...
Check out the Held Titan Evo's (around the same price as those Alpinestars, but light year ahead in quality): Held Titan Evo Motorcycle Gloves - buy cheap ▷ FC-Moto

I had the Held Titan's (previous model) first, and they have lasted for years (I still have them as my backup gloves). I just recently purchased a pair of the Titan Evo's which are the newer model.

Here is a post from one of our forum members (but this post is on another forum) where he compares the Alpinestars to the Titans (he even crash tested them): Gloves

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check out the Held Titan Evo's (around the same price as those Alpinestars, but light year ahead in quality): Held Titan Evo Motorcycle Gloves - buy cheap ▷ FC-Moto

I had the Held Titan's (previous model) first, and they have lasted for years (I still have them as my backup gloves). I just recently purchased a pair of the Titan Evo's which are the newer model.

Here is a post from one of our forum members (but this post is on another forum) where he compares the Alpinestars to the Titans (he even crash tested them): Gloves
Thanks for taking the time to post that link.
I've had a look they're all available for around the same £200 mark.
Emailed the retailer, at first they were going to collect and arrange a repair which would have been end of April earliest.
After a phone call, they agreed they would look at the glove and possibly issue a refund but could not promise anything.
Finances are very tight at the moment after the bike purchase so may wait to hopefully get the refund before splashing spending another £200.
I have a pair of Alpinestar SP5 summer gloves that I wore today, so can persist with these for the moment if needed.
I've also emailed Alpinestars and messaged on Instagram with no response yet.
I will update when I get some info

·
Registered
71 Posts
Damn, that’s terrible. I’ve heard good and bad about Alpine. But I guess that goes for almost all brands. I just ordered some Alpinestars GP Plus R gloves. Hope they don’t disappoint! :(

·
Registered
488 Posts
Looking at the pics, I did have 2 pairs of the those gloves. 1st pair defiantly better than the second pair. Felt like they had worked to reduce costs on the 2nd pair which was 2 or 3 years after 1st pair. Felt like the leather on the fingers on the 2nd pair was too thin. After Klim it's going to be hard to buy Alpinestar again. I'm weary of companies cutting cost and not keeping quality under control. I don't mind paying for quality but seems like too many companies go for a feature list but cut quality. I'll pick quality over cheap with a long feature list.

UxbR - was wearing summer gloves in summer LOL, early September in North Dakota. 16 day 5,300 mile trip with temperature ranging from 97 to 48 F. Was packing light so didn't bring waterproof gloves. 3 day before spent the afternoon riding across Montana at 97F. Lonely 2 lane road, almost no traffic - every 5 miles or so would see 2 or 3 cars or trucks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn, that’s terrible. I’ve heard good and bad about Alpine. But I guess that goes for almost all brands. I just ordered some Alpinestars GP Plus R gloves. Hope they don’t disappoint! :(
I was wearing these thin under gloves which meant the gloves were very tight going on. Didn't even consider they would split but if I get a repair/replacement rather than I refund I definitely would not push the seams to that sort of stretch again.
I've got a pair of SP5's I've been wearing since those split, I've looked those over thoroughly and seem pretty solid so hopefully you'll be ok and I just had a dodgy pair

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking at the pics, I did have 2 pairs of the those gloves. 1st pair defiantly better than the second pair. Felt like they had worked to reduce costs on the 2nd pair which was 2 or 3 years after 1st pair. Felt like the leather on the fingers on the 2nd pair was too thin. After Klim it's going to be hard to buy Alpinestar again. I'm weary of companies cutting cost and not keeping quality under control. I don't mind paying for quality but seems like too many companies go for a feature list but cut quality. I'll pick quality over cheap with a long feature list.

UxbR - was wearing summer gloves in summer LOL, early September in North Dakota. 16 day 5,300 mile trip with temperature ranging from 97 to 48 F. Was packing light so didn't bring waterproof gloves. 3 day before spent the afternoon riding across Montana at 97F. Lonely 2 lane road, almost no traffic - every 5 miles or so would see 2 or 3 cars or trucks.
Definitely not quite summer over here in the UK just yet. Temperature is picking up slightly but only just reaching about 50F.

The company received my return yesterday via post. I'll give them till next week to hear back before I give them a call and see what they day. They didn't agree to a refund over the phone but said they would inspect them and see what they could do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
An email back from Alpinestars and they have agreed to refund/replace the gloves through the retailer.
Spoke to retailer today and have received credit for the £200 I paid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts