Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm a newbie and have noticed a lot of vets getting pissy about people asking questions that have already been answered on this site, and I'm just letting you know, I've spent 2 brain-racking hours trying to find an answer already. So if you dont have anything nice to say, FUCK OFF!!

That said, I have a '00 ZX6r. with a Yoshi slip on. Unfortunately, having bought the bike used, and being the third owner... i don't know too much about what else has been changed out/ removed or added.

The problem is...... I was cruising at 60 mph, around 7,500 - 8k rpm, and suddenly my bike lost almost all of it's torque and the pitch of the exhaust lowered TREMENDOUSLY. I had about another 2 miles to the house, so I cruised it as much as i could. You can still hear the rpms moving up, but it sounds as if something's blocking my exhaust tremendously, and it has no GO to it. ( I'm thinking the word is torque, but don't want to use a word that will throw anyone off). Anyway, I get it home, All air hoses are good to go, gas is fresh *just filled up from E this morning*, and after sitting for a bit, she cranks right backk up , with no problems at all. What else should I look at? Plugs should be good as I just changed out 2 months ago, and battery is kept on a maintenance charger nightly. Any help in figuring this out before I end up stranded on the side of the road, pushing it would be awesome!!!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Saying "fuck off" probably won't get you an answer this isn't really a trolling site. Well i troll but still

Anyways have you checked your injectors?

Cleaned your air filter?

Is your bike running rich/lean at all?

Oh forgot you have a carbed bike...

Cleaned your carbs? Jetted them? Anything of the sorts?

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
First off, I'm a newbie and have noticed a lot of vets getting pissy about people asking questions that have already been answered on this site, and I'm just letting you know, I've spent 2 brain-racking hours trying to find an answer already. So if you dont have anything nice to say, FUCK OFF!!

That said, I have a '00 ZX6r. with a Yoshi slip on. Unfortunately, having bought the bike used, and being the third owner... i don't know too much about what else has been changed out/ removed or added.

The problem is...... I was cruising at 60 mph, around 7,500 - 8k rpm, and suddenly my bike lost almost all of it's torque and the pitch of the exhaust lowered TREMENDOUSLY. I had about another 2 miles to the house, so I cruised it as much as i could. You can still hear the rpms moving up, but it sounds as if something's blocking my exhaust tremendously, and it has no GO to it. ( I'm thinking the word is torque, but don't want to use a word that will throw anyone off). Anyway, I get it home, All air hoses are good to go, gas is fresh *just filled up from E this morning*, and after sitting for a bit, she cranks right backk up , with no problems at all. What else should I look at? Plugs should be good as I just changed out 2 months ago, and battery is kept on a maintenance charger nightly. Any help in figuring this out before I end up stranded on the side of the road, pushing it would be awesome!!!

Grab a flashlight, and look inside the gas tank to see what the metal looks like. Rust = Bad.

A 13 year old bike has a strong possibility of having sediment, or water in the bottom of the tank. Running it almost dry is likely to disturb that, and may dump it into the carbs.

First order of business is to run some fuel drier through your tank. That's mainly isopropyl alcohol, which would chemically bind with whatever water may be in the tank, and allow it to burn well enough to get it through the system without stalling the bike.

Once you're sure you have done as much as you can to get rid of contaminants, you should run some injector cleaner through the next tank to ensure the carb jets are as clean as possible. DO NOT use it any stronger than the label says. Seafoam, B12 Chemtool, Techron..... any of those should dissolve some of the gunk and varnish on the needles or jets that may have built up over the years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saying "fuck off" probably won't get you an answer this isn't really a trolling site. Well i troll but still

Cleaned your air filter?

Air filter is clean, it's run rich since I bought it, and the carbs were cleaned in December

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grab a flashlight, and look inside the gas tank to see what the metal looks like. Rust = Bad.

A 13 year old bike has a strong possibility of having sediment, or water in the bottom of the tank. Running it almost dry is likely to disturb that, and may dump it into the carbs.

First order of business is to run some fuel drier through your tank. That's mainly isopropyl alcohol, which would chemically bind with whatever water may be in the tank, and allow it to burn well enough to get it through the system without stalling the bike.

Once you're sure you have done as much as you can to get rid of contaminants, you should run some injector cleaner through the next tank to ensure the carb jets are as clean as possible. DO NOT use it any stronger than the label says. Seafoam, B12 Chemtool, Techron..... any of those should dissolve some of the gunk and varnish on the needles or jets that may have built up over the years.
I don't see any rust, or sediment in the bottom, but will give the isopropyl alcohol a shot tomorrow followed up by some Seafoam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
was it fine after you fired it back up or is the problem still persisting?
It was fine after I fired it back up, took it on about a 20 mile ride ( 2 mile strip in front of my house x 10 would hate to have to push it too far)lol and she did fine.....i'm just worried about her because this is the second time in 2 weeks, and she's my only transpo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Cleaned your air filter?

LOL! I"m not sure what trolling is, but i'll do my best to keep from doing it, and sorry if you took it offensively, I just can't stand the smartass's that go around telling people how stupid they are. I know i'm ignorant, if i weren't I wouldn't be on this forum looking for advice..... and thanks to all that have responded

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Agreed with the above alot of the times its issues with the carbs...

I've only done carbs on 1 bike (98 SRAD) and failed miserablly at it which is why i stick to injected

But... When the carbs are not properly done you have bogging issues, fuel issues, on top of possible burnt pistons. (from personal experience)

I'd redo the carbs and see if there is any difference

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You mentioned you already checked the air hoses... make sure there are NO air leaks or it will run out of breath (rather poor fuel delivery) since there isn't enough vacuum to suck in gas.

Take a spark plug out to see if it's running lean, rich or good. Vacuum leak it will run lean and the spar plug ceramic will be white.

Mine did that to me about a year ago. Symptoms where running fine at lower rpm until a wind gust came or i when going faster, pushing more air in.

It had full power and all over sudden it died. Let it idle for 30sec and it was running fine again (cabrs filling up with gas again).

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hope you get it fixed. I hate to see somebody with bike trouble. Especialy when its your only ride. I pray to the racing gods you get'er running top notch!

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Way to not come off like an asshole. :coocoo

It's nice that you've spent the time to look for an answer. It's nice that you are asking for help. It's not nice to tell a bunch of people you're trying to get help from to "fuck off" before getting to the problem.

I've decided not to read any further than that. Way to go on having a nice intro. :bigthumb:

Hope ya get whatever the problem fixed.... :O

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Way to not come off like an asshole. :coocoo

It's nice that you've spent the time to look for an answer. It's nice that you are asking for help. It's not nice to tell a bunch of people you're trying to get help from to "fuck off" before getting to the problem.

I've decided not to read any further than that. Way to go on having a nice intro. :bigthumb:

Hope ya get whatever the problem fixed.... :O

1 - 16 of 16 Posts