Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

In the midst of rebuilding my forks and I just got a new oil and dust seal kit from All Balls racing. The oil seal fits perfectly, but the dust seal.....well it doesn't look anything like the OEM dust seal? I'm scratching my head wondering wth to do with it, is this truly how they've constructed their dust seal or should I be looking to buy a pair of OEM?

I have the OEM dust seal resting against the All Balls dust seal on the lower fork in the picture btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
As long as the diameter for the tube and fork leg are correct, I wouldnt worry about it. The one not in the fork has an internal spring, the ones in the fork have external. Two ways to accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Lol, I bought another kit online thinking the one I first bought wasn't meant for the 03/04 Zx6R. Now I have an extra one....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm....I was supposed to work on re-installing these this weekend. Darnit, may have to wait until some OEM seals can come in

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Hmmmm....I was supposed to work on re-installing these this weekend. Darnit, may have to wait until some OEM seals can come in
Have you measured the diameters of the seals?

I would normally go with Nat in that there are some things that I strictly use OEM but bearings and seals I get from AllBalls for every bike and never had a problem. They make some quality kit.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
IMHO and experience, you will see a much more trouble free service life out of OEM seals and sweepers. Not that you shouldn't use aftermarket, just that OEM last longer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you measured the diameters of the seals?

I would normally go with Nat in that there are some things that I strictly use OEM but bearings and seals I get from AllBalls for every bike and never had a problem. They make some quality kit.
The ID of the seal that actually comes in contact with the silver housing is 1mm shorter on the aftermarket kit than the OEM seal.

While I've never seen a wiper like this on any sport bikes I've owned, my brother mentioned these are common on dirt bikes.

I think I'm going to run with it, I really don't see any reason to buy OEM ones at this point when these should work just the same. I'll be the guinea pig for the forum

·
Registered
10 Posts
i've run all balls bearings with no problems but, i know plenty of stunt riders and motocross riders that dont think much of all balls fork seals. oem seems to be the consensus.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Got that seal kit for my bike, seems like a good quality material and product, comparable to oem, I can report back after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got that seal kit for my bike, seems like a good quality material and product, comparable to oem, I can report back after a few thousand miles.
Exact same kit, the wipers looked the same as the ones in my picture?

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Anyone else? I'm replacing mine soon. OEM or aftermarket? I would think all balls seals would be of similar quality as NOK. Either way seals are not expensive but just looking for reviews.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Use the All Balls. Be sure to check the tubes for nicks. Most often a nick will damage the seal and make the fork leak. If you find a nick sand it out with 600 grit , 800 and then 1,000.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts