Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive not got a clue mate im not mechanically minded just had the can fitted through kawasaki when i had the bike brand new

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
ive posted this a week or two ago but still had no luck,anybody know how to remove baffle on a akrapovic 2019
Check the install manual that came with the can, or go to their website and download it.

Here’s a link to a web page from sportbiketrackgear.com that has links to instruction documents, with photos.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/akrapovic-kawasaki-zx-6r-09-17-carbon-slip-on-exhaust/

Also, as others have said, you need to get a link pipe...

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/akrapovic-kawasaki-zx-6r-09-17-optional-link-pipe/

... to replace that big (quieting) resonance chamber sandwiched between the slip-on and the header pipes. I know, I know ...not mechanically minded, but you’ll learn.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
ive not got a clue mate im not mechanically minded just had the can fitted through kawasaki when i had the bike brand new
The exhaust system on your bike is made up of three segments. Header, mid section, and muffler.

Your dealer almost certainly only installed a replacement muffler at the end of the system. If you're in the U.K., odds are good that the can they installed still has a valve in line to further limit noise.

The mid section is hidden under the bike, between the back of the transmission, and the rear suspension. It's a rugged, heavy, muffler. You can unbolt that and replace that heavy box with a simple straight through pipe section that has the correct mating points to bolt in place of it. Makes the bike a few kilos lighter, a bit louder, and could be reversed in an hour with simple hand tools if necessary.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well it's pretty obvious, from the picture you posted you can clearly see that the pre chamber is still there, and if my eyes are not playing tricks I can see there's a baffle too.

First thing, get a link pipe and second, pull the damn baffle out.

If you don't know how to do that just youtube 'akrapovic baffle removal' and do the same.

·
Registered
122 Posts
When I used to have a Yoshimura exhaust that looked similar to yours, there was a screw hidden under a little piece of rubber near the top that once you removed it, the baffle would come out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's pretty obvious, from the picture you posted you can clearly see that the pre chamber is still there, and if my eyes are not playing tricks I can see there's a baffle too.

First thing, get a link pipe and second, pull the damn baffle out.

If you don't know how to do that just youtube 'akrapovic baffle removal' and do the same.
there is no screw for the baffle i cant find it anywhere?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I really like that in the video above they state that there may be a spot weld that needs to be drilled out to be able to remove the db killer. I think this may be what the OP’s problem/dilemma is.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
i can see something that looks like a spot weld on the side of the exhaust
:bitchslap: It would be on the side of the exhaust next to the rear tire...not the side with the brand logo. All I see in your photo are the rivets that hold the stainless steel bands, which hold the carbon fiber canister together.

·
Registered
29 Posts
some Akrapovic Exhaust have screws for the baffle inside... check the baffle itself if it has screws on it...

·
Registered
47 Posts
All you need is a hex key set, some pliers and a nice grip. The picture he is showing is the only thing you need to worry about. That one screw - take it out and grip the insert to pull the baffle out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ive posted this a week or two ago but still had no luck,anybody know how to remove baffle on a akrapovic 2019
There should be a torx bolt on the wheel side of the your exhaust towards the end of the carbon area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the silencer inside the slip can be removed with a small wrench. it will make the slip sound better. its not that difficult

as other have said until you remove the prechamber and install a link pipe the akra will never be loud.

akras in general are not loud. go with 2 bros or m4's if you want volume

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Just picked up a new 2019 ZX6R this weekend. Before I bought the bike I knew I wanted to get the carbon fiber akrapovic slip on. The dealer had a package for the ZX6R which included the akrapovic slip on and frame sliders. So thought I would just get the package. Once home I looked and noticed it had the baffle. At first I thought cool it came with the baffle. So I went to take the baffle out and noticed no hole to remove the screw holding it in there. So now I'm going to drill a hole in the side of the can where the screw is so I can take it out when I want to. Pretty messed up that they build it this way. I took picture but don't have a place to host them. So good news OP you just have to drill a hole where the screw is.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts