Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made some changes to my 2020 ZX636 and am now throwing a check engine light and the air intake temp is reading "negative 22 degrees fareinheit". Mods I just made were an FTEcu bike side harness (flashed to unrestricted), and the PAIR plate removals (used Graves). Bike runs great, but check engine light is driving me crazy.

Once I saw the light, I bought a HealTech PS Eliminator. Plugged that in. same issue. I also checked my FTECU tune and it shows the "Air Switching Valve" is disabled...so the PAIR shouldn't throw any code.

My OBDII code reader is showing P110 "Air Intake Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit".

What am I doing wrong here? Do you think there's something going on with my air box temp read? Maybe I unplugged something else or clipped a wire by mistake?

Please help if you've seen this before.

·
Registered
14,692 Posts
Minus 22F does sound like a false reading, so I would be looking for a short, or a broken connection on the sensor circuit itself. My bet would be on a short.

Depends on what kind of air temperature sensor is used. A thermocouple is the typical thing used. That’s two kinds of metal wire spot welded together… a change in temperature produces a change in resistance. As the bimetallic blob gets colder, I believe it’s resistance drops. If there’s a sort, that would be calculated as a very cold reading by the ECU.

The other type of air temperature sensor also measures air flow; they were common on the first generation of fi cars and were hot wire anemometers. That design actually has a heated wire passing through the middle of the intake air stream, and the current flowing through it changes with the temperature and density of the air flowing over it. If I remember correctly, there was a fixed amount of current which meant the measured voltage changed in a proportional way to the mass of the air flow. Cold dense air can suck away more heat than cold thin air, or hot air. I don’t know how quickly the change would occur, but I suspect it is too slow for engines that can change RPM (& airflow through the engine) as quickly as a super sport.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Is there a test procedure in the manual for the air temp sensor? -22F isn't happening without serious hypothermia on the bike so it has to be an error somewhere in the system or a missing/disconnected/cut wire.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts