Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a new K&N Air Filter for my 2007 ZX-6r. I was wondering if anyone knew how to change out the air filters. Ive looked the bike down pretty hard and i really just cant figure it out. thanks guys..

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes first pull off you seat and two plastic black side covers then remove your tank, but go easy dont take out tank bolt under seat use it as a hinge till you remove you fuel line. where the fuel line gos into the tank the is a i think yell part that is a clip pull it out easy and remove fuel line and unclip harness to fule tank. then pull the tank off. you will see four or so good size screws in top of air box thats your filter. unscew and slide out old and in with the new. DO NOT TURN ON IGNITION WITH FUEL LINE OFF or you will dump lots of gas fast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow... i really didnt think it was gonna be that complicated. i might be 2nd guessing on if im gonna do this myself or not haha. thank for the info man.

·
Registered
99 Posts
all it takes is a little bit of pulling stuff off.... instead of completely removing the tank i just set it to the left side of the bike on it's side. easier when the tank is empty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeh i never remove my tank when working on air filter or injectors. i have a friend hold it or prop it out of the way.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You don't need to do all that. Just remove the side plastics around the seat. Then remove the seat and then remove the front two tank bolts. The tank will then tilt up out of the way. If you tilt it far enough it will lock upright by itself. Then remove the airbox lid and change the filter. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
does anyone know the recommended replacement time for the air filter? i've got about 5600 miles and still on my original air filter. should i change it? any recommendations, k&n? bmc?

·
Registered
117 Posts
My owner's manual states something like 7000 miles. However if most of your riding is done in dusty conditions and/or buggy areas I would change it sooner. No one will second guess you if you change it at 5600 miles. You would be very surprised to see just how bad it can get after just 3000 miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll probably go ahead and change it because there is a lot of construction around me and a lot of dust. I'm still debating on OEM vs aftermarket. The price difference is not much, OEM vs. K&N, but the BMC is a considerable penny more. I don't do much track days so I'm leaning towards the K&N.

·
Registered
571 Posts
From what I hear OEM is better than K&N and BMC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From what I hear OEM is better than K&N and BMC.
That is pretty much what I've gathered too. There are only small gains to be had with a BMC race filter (the highest flowing), and only if you get the bike mapped for it, on top of that you have to clean it very often.

Only disadvantage to stock is that you can't clean it and reuse it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts