Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI ALL.
i have a 06 636,and between 3-4,000 rpm i get a tapping sound from the airbox area,have been told by dealers its a kawasaki trait and they all do it.
above 4,000 it quitens down a lot and dont notice it,any comments would be greatfull.
cheers.

andy

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have a 2003 B1H and mine has a very definite "tapping" from top-end. ALL kwakas do this. FACT.
Mine got worse though. I won't scare you too much but had a totally new top end rebuild, including - cylinder head, 2 camshafts and all 16 valves! My bike was 3 months out of it's warranty period (how do they do that?!?!?) but Kawasaki UK agreed to provide all the parts on a good will gesture! My local dealer, TAZ, did all the work free for me too. Result!
MY bike still has a slight tapping noise from top-end but nothing to worry about, "they all do that sir".
I have heard older Kwaks do it and new ones too. It's all part of the Kawasaki "rawness" we all like. Just ride it and enjoy mate!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quite few bikes have what is known as a flapper valve in the airbox. At certain rev's a vacuum tube from the carbs opens a diaphragm valve that pulls a flap open or shut in the airbox. It is usually to aid with noise or smoooth out transition airflow.

On my 99 VFR800 it sounded like a stone in a fan!

Most Kawasakis have a trait though, of noisey cam chain adjusters that can sound like a tick from the head.

I don't know if the 06 bike had a flapper in the airbox, but it sounds unliekly that you have cam chain problems on such a new machine.

A

·
Registered
30 Posts
HI ALL.
i have a 06 636,and between 3-4,000 rpm i get a tapping sound from the airbox area,have been told by dealers its a kawasaki trait and they all do it.
above 4,000 it quitens down a lot and dont notice it,any comments would be greatfull.
cheers.

andy
I have an 05 model. Mine does it. Scared me at first but they all do it, and I have ridden my bike hard with no probs. I wouldnt worry about it mate. Gray.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I just recently replaced my stock air box with one from Attack Performance, now it just howls like a banshee,it's pretty cool!!.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The Attack Performance air box is made from carbon fiber and is designed to work in conjuction with the Attack Performance velocity stacks and is designed for true "ram air" induction offering peak performance. Also once I've finished installing the new headers and getting everything set up on the dyno, I should be running between 125 & 130 horses(I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
125 and 130! That's uh, optimistic. Or am I naive?

How much did that set you back?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I got the air box along with other goodies from a friend who has a rellative who works for Attack Performance for an undisclosed amount(you never know who could be reading this forum!). As far as the horse power goes,those figures are just an esstimate, I'll let you know the real figures once I get the results.:cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts