Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzj5SpH6M1g

I just switched to D209's and OMG those things are some hard ass side-walls! :rant I was slidding two wheel drift through T-1 :confused They stuck however! Just felt weird.. grab slip grab chatter like

I also tucked the front in t-2 for a sec and then I chilled out but still managed to pull off a 2:10 lap

I miss my Pirelli's :banghead

I softened my suspension and its 80% better but I will need to waist another track day dialing in these tires! WTF!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
looks like a good track.. Hows it going over the hill at 57 seconds? looks nasty..

·
Registered
571 Posts
Nice video, I'm jealous. :hail

Man I can't wait to get back out to the track. Gotta wait till April 26th :banghead

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well so far my best is 2:08 on the Pirelli's.... no sliding!

I'm not happy with my setup on the 209's. and can only muster a 2:10 sliding all over the place. but constantly 2:13's. I know the tires will stick but I don't know if I can set my compression dampening soft enough to deal with the hard side walls of the 209's and keep the bikes balanced. I'm also getting some wicked head shakes so I think I'm gong to drop my fork tubes on the triple tree a few mm or so to se if that helps and get the front end up a bit higher.

Also they put the oil soak all over the track and that shit had me sliding too!.. Over all it was a fun day.

When I go back to Sears Point I will probably like the 209's because that track is so smooth.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm also getting some wicked head shakes so I think I'm gong to drop my fork tubes on the triple tree a few mm or so to se if that helps and get the front end up a bit higher.

The 209's can grow up to 14mm at speed, especially the rear. Add that to a taller sidewall than the pirelli, and the geometry can really produce some high speed wobble. Same thing happened to me when the 209 came out. 3mm settled down the high speed instability.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 209's can grow up to 14mm at speed, especially the rear. Add that to a taller sidewall than the pirelli, and the geometry can really produce some high speed wobble. Same thing happened to me when the 209 came out. 3mm settled down the high speed instability.
Thanks for the info.. what Tire pressure do you run on your 209's I'm at 28 rear and 29 front but I had some friends who race AMA say to drop them down to even 25 and see how the tire starts to ware. However I don't exactly want to chew up a set of tires in one day either.. their all about 10 to 15 sec faster then me on any given track. I'm not trying to set the lap record just smooth out the ride so I can feel confident.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was a dunny guy for about a year and a half ending Nov 06.(*shameless plug* I now run Michelin, the finest tires on the face of the earth).

I was on UK made SportMax GP's (209's) 190/60 & 120/70 and generally started with 30psi frt and 29psi rear cold readings. Mostly at WSIR which explains why I ran 1psi more than you're running now.

I'm wondering what the ama guys suggested the low psi for. Was it the instability caused by the growing rear tire, or the relative lack of flex in the dunny sidewall, or something else?

Anyway, I don't think a sesh or two at 25psi is going to kill the tires. The UK made SportMax have ridiculously rugged wear characteristics...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine are made in USA 190/55 & 120/70. My suspension guy said that my setting are as soft as he can get them with out making the bike un-even or too soft for rebound dampening and said I just need to get familiar to how these tires feel under me! So I guess I will! However resetting my suspension for these tires did help quit a bit.

My next track day is at Sears Point a much smoother track so we will see how these tires fair there.

I'll probably get back on Pirelli and think their sponges now!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Welp, guess you better throw all that info I gave ya out the window. The US made might have the same characteristics, but then again...they might not. And since I have zero experience w/them, everything I said in the posts above is moot...

Hope it turns out ok for ya though....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts