Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Registered
1,085 Posts
I remember my first track day. I did a bit of looking back. Only after I ran a guy off the track though. I was working my way to the outside of the track(far left) to set up for the next right hand turn. It was no sudden jerk to the outside or anything like that. I felt bad. That guy tried to beat me to the corner instead of slowing down. He forced himself off the track in other words. Sessions later is when I started looking behind me so I didn't do that again.

A control rider told me to stop looking back. I told him why I was doing that. He told me it was not my fault, that the person behind is in control of not hitting the person in front. I guess that is why that guy didn't come to my pits to question. The control rider found that guy and apologized for me, told him I felt bad. He kept it up, and he told the control rider it was all his fault.

I was trying to be a gentleman and not crash nobody else and let faster riders go on. Looking behind me only screwed my lines up. Faster riders know the lines, and know how "most" riders will flow through them. I was told "there is nothing gentlemanly about letting somebody pass. Stay focused on what is in front of you, and your lines will be more predictable to other riders."

Thanks for the write up.

· Registered
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Very happy to hear this. People who have no respect for the rules seriously piss me off. If you want to go hurt yourself, then by all means have at it, but don't put anyone else in danger because of your stupidity.

My buddy was out there (A group, ZX10R) and said he had a great time. I will be there the 28th for my first track day!
Black one? I remember seeing him I think. Right on!

I won't be out there on the 28th.. :( I have to work Saturdays. But I'll be there in October. It's a great organization and a really fun track! Use the coaches to your advantage when learning the lines... It'll help a lot just getting an idea of the lines of the track. :D

What a bunch of dicks! hopefully you don't see them around anytime soon! Good writeup PG, I do have a quick question though.

Maybe it is just different for different orgs, but i was under the impression that NO one, including CRs could stop on the track if there was an accident? The orgs on the east coast dictate that everyone has to be off the track so they can roll medical/ambulance. It would be up to the corner workers to tend to the fallen rider. Even a stopped bike on the track could probably cause some riders to target fixate and run right into the bike.
You are correct.... to a point...

As a control rider my job is to ensure safety... so my bike wasn't in a spot that it could have been in someone's way... also... had I tried parking in the dirt like I did at first... she'd have laid down on its side... kickstand went into the dirt 3 inches so I had to pull onto pavement. Also.... I was right next to a corner worker waving the big ass yellow flag... and I was slowing people down as they came into the turn as well... (wacky waving incredible arm flailing tube man style) it was very controlled. Now that I think of it... it went pretty flawlessly after the crash.

You're right though that NO ONE should be stopping on the track.... however in these instances it can be a judgement call for the control rider. I had a guy laying on the ground hurt and possible badly... time was critical and I was pretty much out of the way and out of the racing line.

· Registered
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

· Registered
3,364 Posts
Glad the guy on the R1 was not hurt badly. To be honest, I generally try to avoid being around guys like that on the track. I'll pick up pretty quick if they are a danger or not and then avoid them. I know once he was in the middle of them the R1 rider was screwed and he couldn't tell he was about to hit from behind.

However I would have pitted out to get away from them and rejoined later in the lap. Just pull into hot pit, wait for them to get about a half lap ahead and then rejoin. I leave it to the control riders and corner workers to police the morons. I would usually let a control rider who was in the hot pit know or a flag/corner worker if they are close to hot pit. Otherwise I'd let someone know after my session. You have to be responsible for your own safety too. Personal responsibility also extends to not riding with them.

Don't jump on me thinking I'm blaming the R1 rider. In no way am I saying he was at fault. What I'm saying is for folks doing track days, if you see someone you think is unsafe, be responsible for yourself and DON'T RIDE WITH THEM. I've seen plenty of people who are unwilling to just get off the track and avoid these guys.

I've been with entire track day groups that I would never ride with again. I now know that most of the folks they attract are not safe. Just like MOM pointed out, there was a red flag in almost every session. It isn't any fun and it cuts down a lot on the track time your paying for. So, I won't ride with that group again. Other groups I love riding with. Great people and almost never a red flag.

· Registered
3,293 Posts
Good write up and reminder PG. It's all about having fun and learning in a safe enviroment. Shame some ass hat wanna bees had to spoil some expensive track time. I've seen alot of bikes on the track and wonder how they passed tech. Sure there's alot of people and bikes to attend to. Don't worry about being That Guy who says something to the organizer or a CR. If it's a safety concern chances are your not the only one who has brought it up.

· Registered
564 Posts
Black one? I remember seeing him I think. Right on!

I won't be out there on the 28th.. :( I have to work Saturdays. But I'll be there in October. It's a great organization and a really fun track! Use the coaches to your advantage when learning the lines... It'll help a lot just getting an idea of the lines of the track. :D

Yep! Good friend. Good rider. I ride Palomar Mt with him all the time.

Dang, I'll just have to come again in October to meet you:D:

Thanks! I will. I believe it's going to be CCW on the 28th.

· Registered
989 Posts
Went back and read your camera insert. I really don't know how anyone can worry about anything on the track except riding. Maybe I'm different but when I drop my visor its like turning on a switch. Nothing but me my bike and the track matter, except the guy in front of you, because you are ultimately responsible for him, as far as not running into him or over him if he crashes, and passing him cleanly. Hell I have two scratches in my visors mirror finish from transport and within half a lap I don't even see them any more.

· Registered
564 Posts
Nothing but me my bike and the track matter, except the guy in front of you, because you are ultimately responsible for him, as far as not running into him or over him if he crashes, and passing him cleanly.
This is exactly what those selfish punks didn't realize. Too busy trying to look like Valentino Rossi.

· Registered
1,508 Posts
So True Power, Just got to work and read your post 100%
The inexperience on track days can be concerning.

This is fairly interesting, in Sydney, you can't film or lap time full stop.
The emphasis is its a ride day, not racing practice.

It is bought up in the morning riders brief and lap timing or filming discovered on anyone's bike they will most likely be questioned on it and potentially miss sessions or be asked to leave.

Plenty of people I've seen ask, the 'Why Not!?' being fairly disgruntled.
THIS, This right here is the reason! Distraction. Bugger me my track bike has a nice piece of stick tape over my speedo cause I don't want ANY Distractions on my laps.

There is always a Paid Cameraman at the track and you see guys focussed on looking for him on the day... And yes... my avatar is me being cheeky this guy one day... but this was taken behind back markers moving along at snails pace so took the opportunity to give him a wave.

Power, you may want to add on the etiquette that most riders briefs will inform attendees to not stop if there is an incident and there are trained people (like yourself) that will attend quickly. Also to get off the tarmac if you slide, forget the bike last thing you want is to be cleaned up after minor low side, in haste to trying to pick your bike up in the corner for someone to come around and hit you!

I swear we had a thread on this from ages ago... probably worth finding it. Taking the best bits and making a new post and making it a sticky...

· Registered
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I swear we had a thread on this from ages ago... probably worth finding it. Taking the best bits and making a new post and making it a sticky...
That might be something you should look for when you're bored. :D

· Premium Member
7,249 Posts
There is always a Paid Cameraman at the track and you see guys focussed on looking for him on the day... And yes... my avatar is me being cheeky this guy one day... but this was taken behind back markers moving along at snails pace so took the opportunity to give him a wave.
It's funny you should mention that because when I was out doing the photography yesterday (and the last time I was out doing photography, I can't even tell you how many people looked at me instead of where they were going. It got to a point where I wouldn't take a picture of them when they came around because I didn't want to reward their irresponsible behavior.

But really, the scenario that PG described above is how I wound up in the hospital. In a different corner of course. They never figured out who the guy was though.

· Registered
1,508 Posts
It's funny you should mention that because when I was out doing the photography yesterday (and the last time I was out doing photography, I can't even tell you how many people looked at me instead of where they were going. It got to a point where I wouldn't take a picture of them when they came around because I didn't want to reward their irresponsible behavior.

But really, the scenario that PG described above is how I wound up in the hospital. In a different corner of course. They never figured out who the guy was though.
Yeah... I've seen guys seriously run wide staring at the cameraman... or when scanning the photos that night for good pics flicking through you see all these eyes transfixed on the lens...

· Registered
2,093 Posts
I guess this is why Motoyard made a few changes. I was at the willow springs facility this past weekend. During registration They now give you a tyvek wristband that matches the color of the group sticker you should be riding in. Before you enter the pits for every session they make sure you still have that wristband. They even tug on it pretty hard to make sure it hasn't been tampered with. Its a little inconvenient because you have to ride to the staging area without your glove, show them the wristband, then zip up your suit sleeve and put on your glove. This prevents people from jumping groups and it prevents people that didnt register from riding one of their friends bikes.

It's a pain in the ass but I guess it's something I'm willing to put up with because I understand why they do it. Stupid people like the ones you had to babysit are one of the main reasons a lot of organizations will probably develop a similar system.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts