Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I got this bike a month ago and was having a problem when coming to a stop the revs will take long to go down to idle, i thought a carb cleaning and sync + new spark plugs will fix it but it did not,it is less now but still happens once in a while mostly in the afternoon when it gets hotter, will it be the throttle cable getting stuck? any advice?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Try checking the Throttle cable, like you said, and also try playing with the idle adjustment screw on the left side of the bike. If that doesn't work, you might try playing with the EPA screws that come plugged from the factory. My 99 zx6r would do the same thing until I cleaned and synced the carb, and adjusted the EPA screws. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
take off the tank and drop a little thin oil on all the linkages on the carbs they sound if they could be sticking

·
Registered
236 Posts
take off the tank and drop a little thin oil on all the linkages on the carbs they sound if they could be sticking
That's a good idea as well. I might have fixed my sticking problem, if I had one, when I cleaned my carb.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
well they get dust and dry out under there so worth a try

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually took it to a friend's friend because I dont have a manometer but I'm not even sure he cleaned the carbs like he said because they look all dirty from the outside and no sign of being opened he did sync it because it was worst. Also the idle screw is all the way in and cannot adjust anymore but I'll try lubricating the cables.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
something is missing if the idle screw is all the way in and still wont idle.. Are all the vacume hoses hooked up and in the right places?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Also what are the EPA screws?
There is one on each carb, so 4 total. They come plugged from the factory and you have to physically remove the plugs by drilling a hole in it and then removing it with a screw. Underneath you will see a little screw that you can adjust that will raise or lower the amount of fuel being let in the motor during idle. The EPA makes Kawasaki plug these screws so that consumers cant fidle with the fuel/air ratio during idle because "It's harmful to the environment."
Here's a pic:

·
Registered
236 Posts
And here's a tutorial on how to adjust the mixture. Take note that this write up is for a 250, so yours will be a little different. I find that 3 1/4 turns out from all the way shut is perfect for my bike, so you should end up somewhere around there.

How do I adjust the idle mixture? - Ninja250Wiki

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks EVERYONE i will be trying that this weekend. Also i have a full yoshimura system will the settings be different?

·
Registered
236 Posts
it wont make much difference at idle but a full system will mess the fuelling right up in the mid and high rpm.
Yeah, jeez. You might need a stage 1 jet kit. Do you have a high flow air filter, like a K&N?

·
Registered
37 Posts
sounds rich, maybye look @ fuel heights in the float bowl n if they r to high it could point to float valve seat not sealing properly [oring ]theory being as bike n carbs warm up metal expands old orings can't make up the seal as carbs warm letting fuel past the seat. I wouldn't assume the float being incorrect as the float valve seat oring being a possibility as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts