Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
riding an 08 6r, TBR slip, Driven -1+2, KN street filter...

seems like my fuel economy is much lower than everyone elses. after a ride yesterday i have come to the conclusion that there has to be somethinbg wrong with my bike. i am able to go about 90 miles before my fuel light comes on, and usually get to a gas station around 100 miles or so. my last fill up was 3.5 gallons at 110 miles... so, 31 mpg??? and that was after just an easy cruise. its been doing this for a while, even before i installed my new sprocket kit, so ive been use to it. my first tank ever i got 45 mpg, then it stayed around 38 for a couple months. lately it hasnt been over 31mpg, even if i baby the throttle.

i do notice it feels like it has an acute misfire when the throttle is just cracked enough to cruise, but cant really feel it over 6k rpms. i took it to a shop, explained what i noticed and after he took it for a test ride he said he didnt notice anything wrong with it...???

im just stumped. i tried some fuel injector cleaner (B12 Chemtool) and it didnt do anything. i changed my plugs, and it didnt really do anything either.

any suggestions as to where i can start looking for issues that could be the root of my fuel economy issues???

·
Registered
202 Posts
How many miles on the bike? Have you had the valve clearances checked and/or shimmed? When did you last clean the K&N filter? Could be too much oil in the filter making the bike run rich. How did your plugs look when you took them out to change them? Were the tips black/oily, white, grey?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I feel like I'm getting 50 miles to a tank. I fill up everytime I ride and I don't ride very far at all. And what's up with Kawi not putting fuel gauges on their bike? I hate having just a light.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I feel like I'm getting 50 miles to a tank. I fill up everytime I ride and I don't ride very far at all. And what's up with Kawi not putting fuel gauges on their bike? I hate having just a light.
I'm getting about 130-140 during my commuting and much less on my weekend rides.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I get about 120-130 miles before my gas light comes on. All stock except for Dan motto slip on exhaust.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
My mileage started to go down as well. I just did a valve adjustment, and now the mileage is back up to normal again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the bike has 14k miles on it. i just changed the plugs 200 miles ago and no change. i guess next thing is to get the valves adjusted.
i do reset the trip meter after every fill, just so i can calculate my fuel economy

i wish i was getting over 100 per tank... but, havent since i first got the bike

·
Super Moderator
12,495 Posts
I commute only a short distance daily ~6 miles, when commuting I get about that mileage but my bike spends a lot of time idling in the driveway or parking lot at work. On longer rides I get to about 120 or so before the light comes on.
Ey3

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just clicked over 13,000 the other day, which I don't feel is very high. I did slam the front end pretty hard on a bad wheelie set down, and the "misfire" I feel started at time, although the shop told me he didn't notice anything. I am guessing I should get a second opinion...

·
Registered
7 Posts
LOL, 100+ miles per tank. You guys must all be from the city or something. I live in the middle of absolute no where. Closest decent sized city is a ways away. I'm getting 80mpg on a good day of riding, same sprocket setup. But normally not even that. ? Bunch of twisties and long straights don't help this ol' girl much!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts