Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I am new to the forum so I hope I am in the right area. I am looking for help with my gearbox. The bike is a 636 2002 A model and recently I couldn't or should I say struggled to get all the gears. No cluncking or bad noises, it just seemed like a selector problem.
To cut a long story short, I have checked the linkage etc and I am down to the bike in lots of pieces. I can select all the gears no problem now the box is in pieces, but every now and then it jams. I have found it is one of the 3 balls that sit in the 5th gear for the possitive neutral locator. One of them always seems to stick in the shaft stopping the selector from moving the gear.
I was wondering has anyone had this before??? I have read in the manual that when the engine is running these balls fly out? I would hate to put it back together and have the same problem, any suggestions?
Also I have smashed the clutch carrier when I tried to undoo the impossible nut from that and the sprocket nut???? Why are these 2 nuts impossible, the sprocket nut was fastened on by the Hulk!!!
Just interested if anyone else finds these nuts a sod??/

Thanks for reading, Bill, Leeds, UK.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry Bill, never been brave enough to open up the gearbox, but if you havn't already found it there is a copy of the workshop manual available on this forum, just go to the Main Menu, select File Vault and you will see the 2000-2002 manual on there, Section 9 gives full disassembly/assembly instructions......

Hope that helps......and welcome to the UK forum!

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gearbox Again

Thanks for the reply to my post. I am on my way back together with the box. I have swapped the 3 ball bearings and I can get every gear now the 2 halfs of the crankcase are back together. I will be starting to rebuild the engine when I can get the head gasket, nobody has one in stock so I will have to order them up. I will let you know how I get on, cheers again. Bill.

hey bill,like to help but had no kwak boxes in pieces yet,had trouble with suz nuts before,best of luck

·
Registered
428 Posts
Let me know if you need a hand bud. My gear box is getting sorted on saturday by a dealer mechanic who does private work mate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts