Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only ever ride my 636.

However im tempted to get a test ride of a ZX10R.

Anyone got any experence of the ZX10? is it a lot diffrent to the 636?

I dont want to feel the way I do and i know i dont ride the 636 to its limits but there is always somthing in my head saying get a 1000cc.

·
Registered
189 Posts
More power, a little longer wheel base and an extra 20 lbs make it harder and slower to turn in. It is a little more roomy in the cockpit than a 600.

Reactions: RossZX6R

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you aren't riding your 600 to the limits you will probably pull slower lap times on a 1000 because the only place they have an advantage is on a straight.

Reactions: RossZX6R

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
They don't make a ZX10R J (or A1P) model, so it'll be a less good-looking bike straight away.

You could try out a proper 636 though, one of the completely new motors rather than the overbored J model engine that's in your bike, that could give you that little bit extra without going to an all out 1000. I've heard the 636B is a little bit more track suited.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They don't make a ZX10R J (or A1P) model, so it'll be a less good-looking bike straight away.

You could try out a proper 636 though, one of the completely new motors rather than the overbored J model engine that's in your bike, that could give you that little bit extra without going to an all out 1000. I've heard the 636B is a little bit more track suited.
Yeah i had my eye on a 06 636. Looked good. and there is a lot more HP in it compaired to mine.

Thats probably the best way to go to be fair mate your right.

My Buddy that i ride with has a CBR500 so im twice as fast anyway at the moment.

Not that i break the speed limit.. lol

·
Registered
610 Posts
There is a 4 kilo difference between the B2h 636 and the ZX10r 2008.

Now I had the 636 B2h and I now have the ZX10r 2008 and let me tell you that the difference is night and day. I loved the 636 but the 10 has opened my eyes and I love it more than anything I have ever ridden in my 20 years experience.

The 4 kilo difference is nothing when you have an extra 40bhp, trust me on that one because I am living it :nana:

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
More power, a little longer wheel base and an extra 20 lbs make it harder and slower to turn in. It is a little more roomy in the cockpit than a 600.
That's true assuming comparable years on the bikes, but considering the advances in technologies over the years, if OP were to ride a new 1000 then he would notice a massive difference, and I doubt the weight would be as much of an issue since the older bike is likely much heavier than the newer models. If you had a newer 600, I'd agree with davidian, but due to the older tech and your current 450+ wet weight (I think), you'd notice a new 1000 to be roughly the same turn in and immensely more powerful

·
Registered
888 Posts
Just sold my 2008 CBR1000RR a few weeks ago and got a 2009 ZX6R. Don't believe everything you read on the net (including my testimonial). Go test ride for yourself.

I've absolutely left doods on 600s in corners, partly because I was more willing to lean over more and could then accelerate out of them faster. It's all about riding ability.

Here's a ride I went on last winter. You can't really tell how far I was leaning over on my CBR1000RR, but you'll get the picture:

Follow the Leader - YouTube

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The biggest difference you're going to notice between a 600 and a literbike, assuming you're riding in the street and not on the track, is that the sudden "rush" of turbine-like power that happens when a 600 enters its powerband at approximately 7-8k happens right off idle. As a result, the front wheel comes up much easier and you can generally power it up without clutching in 2nd or 3rd gear. Not only that, but with 600s you have to shift a lot more often because the powerband begins so high in the RPM range. A literbike can generally stay in one gear. Literbikes are noticeably heavier compared to modern 600s, but not by very much, and 600s of 10-15 years ago were just as heavy (if not moreso) as modern literbikes.

Basically, it kicks in right off idle in the same way a 600 does at 8k RPM and the power keeps on building up to levels you would never take advantage of unless you were on a closed course.

·
Registered
489 Posts
For the street I prefer a 1000. Pushing cornering limits on the street is stupid so the little bit extra weight is no big deal. On the street having instant throttle response and arm pulling acceleration wihout having to downshift is so much nicer. And even when riding somewhat agressively in the twisties being able to leave it in one gear and ride the torque is better when riding "the pace."

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe my input could help. I went from an 05 636 to an 09 zx10r and now I have a 2013 636. Going from the 05 636 to the zx10r was a huge difference. I'm 5ft 8 and 140lbs so it was a pretty big bike for me. The power was amazing and that's what I loved about it. It always had enough power for the street even at low rpms, compared to the 636 I have to be higher in the powerband to get that extra power. Both 636's are a lot more nimble than the 1000. It was just a longer, bulkier bike. The last thing I wanna mention is gas mileage...granted I don't always ride like a moto gp star but the 1000 got significantly worse gas mileage than the 636

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I have only ever ride my 636.

However im tempted to get a test ride of a ZX10R.

Anyone got any experence of the ZX10? is it a lot diffrent to the 636?

I dont want to feel the way I do and i know i dont ride the 636 to its limits but there is always somthing in my head saying get a 1000cc.
I just test rode a brand new Zx10 a few weeks ago during bike week.

My observations are that it has incredible low end power. Due to riding the speed limit I couldn't even get it into 4th gear (well I could have but why?). You definitely don't need to shift much, it's kind of like riding an automatic lol.

It turns very slow and wide compared to the 6. My bike felt so light and nimble by comparison. I really liked the 10 overall but I'd have a hard time choosing that over a 6 in a couple years when I buy again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like this thread. I've also been considering a literbike. I love the grunt of my 919 but love the aerodynamics and other amenities offered by the Ninja.

I'm considering bidding a few wrecked zx10r bikes and seeing if I can stuff one of those motors into my old J-model :devious I fit the J like a glove, whereas my brother's '06 636 feels too big and plush, so I can only imagine the literbikes will feel even more cumbersome.

More than likely, I'll just keep both bikes. The Ninja is for commuting and interstate sprints, whereas the 919 is an awesome hooning machine and is perfect for running errands around town. I get some strange looks telling people I commute on a 600cc crotch rocket, and keep my 900cc nekkid bike for roaming around town :laugh

It surprised me that the zx6r gets about 48mpg whereas the 919 gets around 42mpg. Running Premium in the Ninja brings the cost per mile to roughly 7.5 cents per mile whereas running Regular in the 919 still costs about 8.3 cents per mile. However, I don't ride a motorcycle specifically to save money, I ride because I enjoy it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
really good responses from everyone guys thanks!

Think I will get a test of a ZX10R and see what i think

Im 6"2 and body build so weight like 220lbs so maybe the 1000cc would be fine for me lol

Will report back in time :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts