Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi im new to the forum, this is my first post. My names Ed and im from the UK.

Ive just purchased a 1998 zx6r usex with 20000 miles on the clock. After a few days of riding the bike a few issues started to crop up. Firstly the bike looks like it may have been stored as we drained half a litre of oil from it before it even registered in the window, not good news as somoene would have ridden it to the dealership etc. there is also a build up of crap on the break discs. The bike has an aftermarket stubby scorpion can, as far as i know this is the only modification to the bike. The bike was previously owned by someone living in a coastal are as traces of sand were found in the airbox and on a couple of the spark plug threads

The problems are as follows,

cold starts are difficult, will only start if the choke is fully out with a slight rev. Idle is very lumpy and sometimes struggles and cuts out with the choke on full but other times revs will rise to around 6000 rpm

Next problem is on low throttle the engine will seem like its hesitating and stuttering, round town slow speed driving is a nightmare.

My final problem is concerning me the most. The bike develops a vibration best likened to driving over cattle grids, but not as shakey, if i listen really closely the engine note and exhaust not is not quite as smooth as it should be and has a slight barbley note to it. Power is 95% all there but feels slightly flat with this problem. Can the barble and vibration im feeling be related? the vibration dissapeares when clutch is is in and will still vibrate when revved in nuetral

Any suggestions will be appreciated

The priblems are a

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
First pull the carbs & clean em real good, If your bike has diaphragms they could be shot.
Most definitely your having carb issues. Sounds like you did the plugs already.
Don't like the sound of the sand in the threads, How much of it fell into the motor
when you pulled em??
Have you changed the oil?
I would totally disassemble that bike (excluding the motor)& go over everything.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Definately clean the carbs. If it sat for a long period of time, you surely have a build up of gunk in them. It sounds a lot like what you are describing also. As far as the vibration you need to check all the nuts and bolts. It does it while rooling of in neutral. Anything could be loose and giving you a frequency vibration. Go over the bike, oil, filter, air filter, coolant, fluids, all the little stuff. Once the carbs are clean and functioning properly, all bolts tight, take it for a ride and let us know how it was.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, im going to try a can of seafoam to see if that clears anything up before i get down and dirty cleaning the carbs i kanda thought it may be the problem. Bike is still under warranty so will take it back if i get no joy, shame though it looks a sweet bike

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
If it only vibrates while u are riding and as u said it has been stored for a long time check the wheel balance and tyers to make sure the tyers are not out of shape

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi chris,

The bike will vibrate whilst revving in nuetral aswel. what would happen if a small amount of sand particles were to get into the engine via spark plug holes and airbox?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Check/adjust the valves too, clean your carbs, and find your air leak. Then the bike should run well. I would probably throw a set of new tires on it, change the air filter, and oil filter, and give it a pretty thorough maintenance session while I'm messing with it.

How bad of a vibration is it? Since we really have no way to tell over the net, is there any way you could upload a video? If you put a glass of water on the tank and revved it, would it ripple, or would it splash and spill? Remember that bikes vibrate a lot more than cars because the engines are hard mounted to the frames and don't have anything insulating them to keep the vibration out.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
All good suggestions prior to this post.
Seafoam works wonders. If that doesn't cut it, clean the carbs.
If it's not blowing white smoke now, the oil being high wasn't
an issue (none got past the rings). Change the oil asap (sand on
the threads doesn't sound good). You definitely have air leaking
somewhere, so follow the instructions already given, and you should
be able to pinpoint the source & correct it. Welcome out, and happy hunting.

·
Registered
118 Posts
All good suggestions prior to this post.
Seafoam works wonders. If that doesn't cut it, clean the carbs.
If it's not blowing white smoke now, the oil being high wasn't
an issue (none got past the rings). Change the oil asap (sand on
the threads doesn't sound good). You definitely have air leaking
somewhere, so follow the instructions already given, and you should
be able to pinpoint the source & correct it. Welcome out, and happy hunting.
^^+1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi guys just a quick update, i sprayed half a xan of silkolene carb cleaner into the air intake which seems to have ironed out most of the cold start problem however tge lumpyness is still there if the seafoam deosent work then il strip the carbs. Thanks for ur input guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts