Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. So weird issue here, maybe im just missing something. Im swapping an EK 520 x-ring chain onto my 2010 and am having trouble getting the clip style master link to fit the chain. I bought this chain last season for my 07, and I used a clip master link. Unfortunately I had to use that clip link to put an old chain on the 07 before I sold it. But now I get to keep my nice new chain for the 2010:nana: I went to Kawi to get a new 520 clip link and tried to put it on today, but the plate wont slide on enough to get the clip onto the pins. Do I have to press the plate on? I feel like that would put too much compression on the rings. The old link plate slid right on and the clip went on really easy, and the pins were a tad longer. Sorry, long write up for an easy question. Wondering if anyone has used the 520 clip style links successfully without issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Youve got balls running g a clip on a street bike. With that said, take a pair of pliers and squeeze the plate and link together a little harder so the clip can grab the grooves. Have to do this every time I put a new chain on the dirt bike.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Youve got balls running g a clip on a street bike. With that said, take a pair of pliers and squeeze the plate and link together a little harder so the clip can grab the grooves. Have to do this every time I put a new chain on the dirt bike.
Never even had a clip come off on me before. Rivets are better I agree, but clips seem to work as well. Thanks for the info, I figured I just needed to press it on there.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Never even had a clip come off on me before. Rivets are better I agree, but clips seem to work as well.
Yet... When one does pop off on you I hope god has mercy on your soul, and the engine case, and your swingarm, and your tail fairing, and your exhaust.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Are you using the little O-rings/x-rings? You may have to remove them.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Yet... When one does pop off on you I hope god has mercy on your soul, and the engine case, and your swingarm, and your tail fairing, and your exhaust.
Went 12,000 miles with a clip link. And that included about 6 to 10 track days.

I prefer rivet too... but :O

OP: It is possible that you have a master link for a different brand of chain? Otherwise... yes... pliers and squeeze. It'll work. You have to compress the O-rings.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went 12,000 miles with a clip link. And that included about 6 to 10 track days.

I prefer rivet too... but :O

OP: It is possible that you have a master link for a different brand of chain? Otherwise... yes... pliers and squeeze. It'll work. You have to compress the O-rings.
I ended up using a pair of channellocks and a small socket to press the plate on. Link rotates freely without issue. Also threw a little safety wire on the clip just in case. That clip isnt going anywhere! If I get to the track this summer, Ill put a rivet on. But for now the clip will do:bigthumb:

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Also, not all chains are the same. There are differences between RK and DID and even for chains within brands (tensile strength, etc). You really need to get the correct master link for the particular chain you are running. Maybe you did that but I can't tell from the original post. But yes, most do require pressing the plate on just like on the rivet type. That's actually a good thing, in case your clip comes off. Make sure you measure it so it ends up being the same width as the link next to it when you press it on (i.e. don't press it on too far).

·
Registered
233 Posts
There is a difference in a 520 clip and a heavy duty clip. As far as brands go EK, RK, Renthal, Sunstar, UMI, DID, and KMC are all interchangeable as far as fitment however like TDH said, different strengths and quality.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
I've been using safety wire on mine for over a year now.

I do prefer the rivet link, & used em 95% of all the rears I've been riding.
But after getting this swingarm where the chain has to be broken to be removed I've used a few clips.
They do come off, You better watch em close, I've lost two in the past few years.
Yeah they were just gone.
So last year I safety wired it. I was a lil paranoid at first, But I checked it before every ride & a couple times on the ride.
IOM it's saver than the clip, But nothing is as strong as the rivet.
However to remove the chain or swingarm you got to cut the master off, Spend $15 on another rivet..etc

Why would you remove your chain OND? ...The best way to thoroughly clean one is to soak it.
& if you need to remove the swingarm,..say to paint it or to strip off the paint & go with th the raw aluminum look......

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I've been using safety wire on mine for over a year now.

I do prefer the rivet link, & used em 95% of all the rears I've been riding.
But after getting this swingarm where the chain has to be broken to be removed I've used a few clips.
They do come off, You better watch em close, I've lost two in the past few years.
Yeah they were just gone.
So last year I safety wired it. I was a lil paranoid at first, But I checked it before every ride & a couple times on the ride.
IOM it's saver than the clip, But nothing is as strong as the rivet.
However to remove the chain or swingarm you got to cut the master off, Spend $15 on another rivet..etc

Why would you remove your chain OND? ...The best way to thoroughly clean one is to soak it.
& if you need to remove the swingarm,..say to paint it or to strip off the paint & go with th the raw aluminum look......
:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts