Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I currently have a ZX-6R J (2001) model in New Zealand. I was out riding last weekend and hit 240KPH in 6th and it stopped reving when it was only at 12,000RPM when the red line is at 14,500RPM does anyone know of a limiter on these bikes?? I know there is a wire to cut on the later models is it the same for mine? I do have a DNA air filter and Remus Genisis Carbon Fibre muffler.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
probaly would have a speed limiter cos a mate of mine has videoed him self with a camera on the tank doing 280 and his was reving almost off the clock. He has the 99 model and he has a remus pipe and kn air filter

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
probaly would have a speed limiter cos a mate of mine has videoed him self with a camera on the tank doing 280 and his was reving almost off the clock. He has the 99 model and he has a remus pipe and kn air filter
280km/h on a Standard 600? He should sell that engine to a world supersport team as his bike is faster than any team bike out there :laugh

Hi I currently have a ZX-6R J (2001) model in New Zealand. I was out riding last weekend and hit 240KPH in 6th and it stopped reving when it was only at 12,000RPM when the red line is at 14,500RPM does anyone know of a limiter on these bikes?? I know there is a wire to cut on the later models is it the same for mine? I do have a DNA air filter and Remus Genisis Carbon Fibre muffler.
Maybe it hasn't got enough grunt in top to pull redline? Not every vehicle can do it. The Japanese market runs speed limiters, but it's 180km/h.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ive had my speedo on the 636 reading 177 mph at around 15k rpm. I know this isnt correct because it is based on percentages and things like that and I went -1 tooth in the front. Without doing the math, I'm guessing it was probably more around 150-160.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Actually that sounds just about correct for a supersport.

I don't know why it is that people seem to think that all sport bikes can go 180+ mph. 150mph on a 600 is very decent. A full system and a jet kit can maybe add 8-10mph to the top end but thats about the limit of your gearing.

The only way a 600 will go 180mph is if it's falling off a cliff :)

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
look on youtube and look up ZX6R and there is a dude doing 280 on a zx6r.. it can happen

·
Registered
23 Posts
i dont know mann

umm if you want to mess with the govener. you have to mess with the computer... i dont know if i would mess with it tho... you can fuck the life of the engine but i dont know if you care about that.. but that is why the goveners on them... sooo if you really want to get rid of that i would start but looking for computer mods for your bike...other then that...

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
That's what the speedo is indicating, yes. But at higher speeds the speedo can be out by 10km/m or more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thats why i put indicated if his bike is only going up to 240 somfin is up there it should have heaps more in it

·
Registered
348 Posts
There was a magazine (I think it was BIKE) that had tested all the current supersport 600 machines for accel, 1/4 mi, and top speed. They all averaged about 155mph on the timing equipment. Some read as high as 172mph(!) on the speedo. Point is, these are all 06 or 07 models (can't remember). Bikes that are up to 40lbs lighter and which make about 10-12hp more than a comparable 01 model. Also they prob are more aerodynamic and carry a lower drag COe. If they only managed about ~155mph (I think the highest was the gsxr-600 at about 162mph) you should be happy with 150mph. Although I'm guessing you were not using timing equipment and are going by the speedo, right? Chances are you were prob going around ~140ish. Things like elevation, wind, and rider weight also affect the number quite a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was sitting behind my mate on his Ducati 749 and at the top I was pulling him in and his speedo said 240KPH as well. I know when you put a pipe on later models you take out the exhaust valve and cut those wires and block up the cables. I think the only way to change it is to put a power commander on it for ignition. The most dissapointing thing was my other mate on his 07 CBR1000RR Repsol passed me like I was standing still. I am not running standard tires either so the gearing from a 190/55 compared to the standard 180/55 is higher and the same for my 120/70 front compared to standard 120/65. Cheers for your help!!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
so whats the point of having a speedo if they dont tell the right speed?? Should just take em off then

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Because it's a legal requirement that they're fitted.

It's bad here though. The ADR's allow a +-10% error and a vehicle will pass. But the Vic government fine us down to a 3% tolerance :laugh It's just :bs

On the TLS I used a re-calibrator to get my speedo accurate.

On the GSXR fitting a 190/55 to replace the 190/55 has just about made it spot on.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
My speedo is out by 10km at least with no changes to gearing or tyre sizes. Riding behind my sister in two different cars my bike is indicating 10km less than the speed the car is indicating. It's annoying because I always have people tailgating me because no-one has any fucking patience in this town.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts