Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a brand new 2021 zx6r and when I went to pick it up the guy said he test drove it and I had 6 miles on, since I’ve put almost 3 miles, so the bike only has 8.7 miles on it and I can’t get this bike to always go into first gear then the shifter indicator doesn’t show anything. Does anyone have any Input on this??? Then other times it will go from neutral to first various times and show every time on the shift indicator. Any input is much appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine does the same thing sometimes. I think the shifter gets stuck between gears and it shows a blank screen on the gear indicator. Letting out the clutch to the bite point fixes it everytime. I'm a new rider so I'm not sure if I'm pressing the shift lever firmly enough or not.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Happens with my 2020 if I'm going slow enough to walk the bike with my feet, my fix is to just rock the bike forward or backwards a bit while keeping my foot on my shifter, clutch lever in, and it'll go right into gear.

Possibly just from not shifting firmly enough.

If you are worried about it though id definitely listen to KevA and have the dealer check it out under warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, this is my first street legal bike but I’ve been riding bikes almost 30 years and I’ve never rode a bike that doesn’t go into the most important gear every time, if I’m rolling to a stop I feel I should be able to pull in my clutch and get it into first so I can just roll off. But yes when it doesn’t show on my indicator I just release an it does catch first every time. I sent Kawasaki an email to ask, I’ll post there response and get ahold of a local dealer today.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Did you adjust the pedal angle to fit you and how you ride/shift

as well as the rest of the adjustable parts that everyone should adjust for their ergos with any new or new to them bike?

and are you shifting firmly? I am not saying stomp on it by any means, but you need to be the boss when shifting

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I haven’t I changed anything on the bike yet but it actually feels pretty good where it is. After I talk to kawai I’ll look into that though. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you adjust the pedal angle to fit you and how you ride/shift

as well as the rest of the adjustable parts that everyone should adjust for their ergos with any new or new to them bike?

and are you shifting firmly? I am not saying stomp on it by any means, but you need to be the boss when shifting
I’d say I shift pretty firm too.

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
OP you shouldn't have to lubricate the linkage on a brand new bike, but that's where I would start. Simple and inexpensive beats surgery (almost) every time.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I got a brand new 2021 zx6r and when I went to pick it up the guy said he test drove it and I had 6 miles on, since I’ve put almost 3 miles, so the bike only has 8.7 miles on it and I can’t get this bike to always go into first gear then the shifter indicator doesn’t show anything. Does anyone have any Input on this??? Then other times it will go from neutral to first various times and show every time on the shift indicator. Any input is much appreciated
Is this your first bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
This is my first street legal bike that I have owned yes. Been riding my whole though
Ok…I was beginning to think you were not using the clutch properly lol.

I would ride that bike straight to the dealership and see what they say about it. Most likely the problem won’t appear when you need it to….seems to be the case from my previous experience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don’t know if you’ve ever owned a car to where the first gear synchros have gone bad but that’s exactly what it feels like, doesn’t go into gear then catches, I’m just a little bummed, I’ve wanted a 636 for a long time and bought the exact one I wanted and now I’m like damn lol I’ll call the dealership on my lunch today.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I haven’t experienced that. Kawi will make this right…you’re entitled after all.

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
My guess is the engagement point for the clutch isn't set right. Make sure you have free play at the clutch lever tip. If you cannot completely disengage the frictions from the pressure plates, the dogs on the gears will have trouble separating and that binding will make it difficult to drop the bike into gear. Everything's probably pretty 'tight' on that brand new bike, I should expect with some wear the issue will become less pronounced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It’s weird cause if you let the clutch out when it does that, it will catch first and you can take off.
My 2019 does the same...
If the gear indicator is ever showing blank its in first gear.
An occasional hiccup.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not sure this is your problem but happens on my Yamaha Tracer GT and happened on my 2014 ZX6R. Sometimes I neglect to shift down thru the gears as I'm coming to a stop and then go OOPS and try and go down like 3 gears. Sometimes it works but usually have to let the clutch out a little until it starts to bite just a bit then pull it in and shift down. A pain if when I've screwed up and stopped with the bike in 4th LOL. This doesn't happen when I riding quicker or having fun, just when I loafing along and not paying enough attention to shifting down. Gets me the most when going like 30 mph in 4th to keep gas mileage up to stretch gas to the next gas station. Both bikes will show a blank in the gear indicator but just as soon as I let clutch out a bit then pull in a select 1st it shows 1st.

Long explanation for what I've seen.

If you are just slowing down and coming to a stop or are sitting at a stop in neutral with the clutch out and then pull the clutch in and try and engage 1st and it doesn't, then it should go back to the dealer. Also bike is new and parts are not worn in yet and clutch may not be adjusted properly. I had a BMW F800GT that was very particular about clutch adjustment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts