Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 ZX6R, newbie quetion. I purchased, and installed a graves slip on, it removes part of the cat as well, its been a week and the servo has thrown on codes ridden almost every day. I also bought a MWR race foam filter and graves block off plates, still waiting. What would be my next needed, or logical step, once those are installed? Also what do I do with the 2 wires behind the muffler as in years past they appear at the motor under the seat? I just simply have them taped out of the way for now. Thanks much guys!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your getting codes because of the servo motor you need a servo buddy. It will trick the ecu into thinking the servo is still working. You didn't delete your cat you got rid of the resonator. If your gonna put block off plates and an race filter I would also suggest a ecu flash or piggy back system like a PC5 or Bazazz. Thats my two cents. Others will chime in who have more experience and knowledge.

·
Registered
192 Posts
2021 ZX6R, newbie quetion. I purchased, and installed a graves slip on, it removes part of the cat as well, its been a week and the servo has thrown on codes ridden almost every day. I also bought a MWR race foam filter and graves block off plates, still waiting. What would be my next needed, or logical step, once those are installed? Also what do I do with the 2 wires behind the muffler as in years past they appear at the motor under the seat? I just simply have them taped out of the way for now. Thanks much guys!!
So you left the Servo motor plugged into the ECU and cables intact and attached to the Servo motor and got a CEL? Some have been able to get away with leaving the Servo motor plugged into the ECU but obviously that doesn't always work. Since the ECU controls the butterfly movement the ECU should be able to detect when the butterfly or Servo motor are out of spec. An ECU flash can disable the Servo motor but other than that, I have no idea why the ECU on some bikes is unable to detect Servo motor changes. In any event, as Visk points out you need a Servo Buddy. They are about 60 bucks and plug into the ECU. Here is a video of a guy installing the same Graves slip-on and Servo buddy for reference.

As for next steps, in my case I always follow these steps for the 3 basic mods. As a general rule, you should only run a high flow air filter or a slip-on without an ECU flash or fuel management system. Running both will cause the engine to run too lean which can damage an engine by running too hot and cause performance issues. An ECU flash or fuel management system will add more fuel which will result in a much better performing engine overall.

I should also add that a poorly executed ECU flash can also create performance issue by adding too much fuel so make sure you select a reputable shop or flash service.

Personally I stick with products and services that are involved in Racing as these products and services are best in class. Products that I've used and recommend are Superbike Unlimited ECU flash, Moore Mafia ECU flash, Norton Motorsports, Hindle exhaust, Graves exhaust, and of course the best air filter in the world that was born from racing and ruling racetracks around the globe, K&N.

1.> Slip-on/Cat-back system
2.> ECU flash
3.> High flow air filter ( and in your case block off plates)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much for the help guys. I saw the 2020 graves slip on and shogun sliders but it's not setup that way it seems. When I started taking off the muffler is when I saw the wires on the back of the it and they are hanging there loose as we speak with no codes. I didnt have to lift the seat at all. I still have a servo buddy to put in. Can I simply buy the ecu flash and do it myself, or should I have a shop do it? I'm fairly handy around a toolbox, for what that's worth.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks much for the help guys. I saw the 2020 graves slip on and shogun sliders but it's not setup that way it seems. When I started taking off the muffler is when I saw the wires on the back of the it and they are hanging there loose as we speak with no codes. I didnt have to lift the seat at all. I still have a servo buddy to put in. Can I simply buy the ecu flash and do it myself, or should I have a shop do it? I'm fairly handy around a toolbox, for what that's worth.
For ECU flashing you would remove the ECU and mail it to the tuner to be flashed and reinstall the ECU. That is the method I use to get a better performing engine. The cost is between 200-235 from Superbike Unlimited and Moore Mafia.

Other options are available like power commander, Woolich tuning software, and dyno tuning but I don't use those products or services personally so I can't offer any guidance on those topics.

·
Registered
115 Posts
FTECU flash unit will also let you flash your ecu yourself. I have one but have yet to install it

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you are interested in learning about Dyno tuning/ECU flashing watch Chris Moore videos on YouTube. He has a plethora of dyno tuning videos and is an excellent resource on the subject of ECU tuning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts