Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2021 ZX-6R and I am in the process of my first tire change. The front wheel went smooth no issues. I am in the process of installing the rear wheel now. I am having an issue with the rear brake. Every time I go to lift the wheel into place, when I go to slide the disc between the rear pads, the pad closest to the wheel keeps popping out of the assembly. This requires me to lift the rear brake assembly and snap the pad back into place and try again. Is there something I am missing with the rear brake housing so that the pad will stay in place while mounting the wheel? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
I can't figure out what you may be doing.... the brake pad should be pinned into the caliper so it cannot pop out of the caliper -- it may move side to side, but not come out.

The procedure to get clearance to put the caliper (with the restrained pads) over the disc during assembly of the wheel/axle/caliper/spacers is to open the rear brake reservoir and then push the pads all the way into both sides of the caliper. That will open the gap enough that the rotor can easily fit, and allow you to futz with everything else to get the wheel in place. I've found the best way for me to control all of the parts involved, is to balance the rear tire on both of my feet (insoles) so I can raise or lower the wheel as needed to help align the axle, spacers and caliper carrier with the swing arm.

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
the brake pad should be pinned into the caliper so it cannot pop out of the caliper -- it may move side to side, but not come out.
Exactly.

If it helps, this picture (from a slightly older manual) shows the pin (7) that should go thru both pads to hold them in place:

Font Bicycle part Auto part Circle Motor vehicle

Maybe you can clarify what you mean by:

the pad closest to the wheel keeps popping out of the assembly.
Is your pin in place?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick response and the diagram. It is the front of the pad that keeps popping out of the tray when I start slide the disc in between the pads. It's like the pad only has a small bit of the tray to sit in and not all of it. Is there some way to move the caliper over to the left on the bracket that axle goes through? Hope that makes sense.

White Font Line Auto part Line art

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
Is there some way to move the caliper over to the left on the bracket that axle goes through?
Did you open up the pads as @RJ2112 suggested?

I believe (still new to this bike) the rear caliper only has a piston behind one pad, so the caliper body itself has to slide laterally on caliper holder shafts so the "other pad" can push (back) on the disk...

The caliper holder shafts call for Si (silicone grease) lubrication in the parts diagram; the caliper body should just slide laterally as indicated below (from an older service manual, but my 2022 paper copy looks identical to my eyes):

Font Terrestrial plant Art Rectangle Number

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the assembly. The red circle is what I am referring to. Is there some way to slide the caliper over on the mounting bracket to give the pad more room to sit in the tray and also align with cut slot where the disc goes?

Bumper Gas Machine Automotive design Office equipment

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you open up the pads as @RJ2112 suggested?

I believe (still new to this bike) the rear caliper only has a piston behind one pad, so the caliper body itself has to slide laterally on caliper holder shafts so the "other pad" can push (back) on the disk...

The caliper holder shafts call for Si (silicone grease) lubrication in the parts diagram; the caliper body should just slide laterally as indicated below (from an older service manual, but my 2022 paper copy looks identical to my eyes):

View attachment 112125

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
Take this all with a grain of salt or more...

My gut feel is your caliper needs to move on the shafts as I have indicated with the red arrow below relative to the caliper bracket:

Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Audio equipment

This will pull the tip of the purple arrow behind the tip of the green arrow.

It's a bit apples and oranges, but you can see a picture of the front of my caliper looking backwards below:

Motor vehicle Fixture Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire

Notice the tip of my purple arrow is behind the tip of my green arrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Taking a step back does wonders. After re-reading through what you all had written I went back to try again. I found that the outside most pad had slipped off the tray ever so slightly which prevented the caliper from moving. Once I reseated that pad into the tray the caliper was able to move freely and the wheel went right on. I can't thank you all enough for your quick responses and assistance to get this fixed. Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts