Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
RIP Jason Dupasquier.

Moto3 was the usual insane Mugello affair and it looks like Acosta is really getting close to putting one hand on the title already.

Moto2 wasn't exciting at all aside from watching Fernandez get an education in tire management from Gardner and watching Lowes bin it yet again. I am still waiting to see an explanation for how Bezzecchi didn't get a jump start penalty for his burnout and swerve while sitting on the line. Truly bizarre to see that as the lights go out.

MotoGP was another mostly processional affair but with a fair number of late race crashes helping those outside the top 5 move up. Rins will be lucky to not be replaced for next season at this rate. It's like him and Lowes have a wager going on who can throw away more podium spots. Fabio is looking like he is toughening his mental game up every single weekend while the others crash or falter. If he keeps this up everyone else is in big trouble.

Mark

·
Registered
799 Posts
The fight at the top is certainly leaving the window open for a Marquez push for another title, but these guys are now NOT the speed bumps that he was weaving through prior to his injury. FQ, Miller and Bagnia are seriously fast (I'm probably writing off Vinales too soon, but I don't think he's got the mental strength and toughness for it). As others have said, his arm and his mental state appear to be doing OK - he's had some wicked crashes and is definitely pushing to the edge and beyond. I'd say he's got maybe 2 or 3 more rounds to get on the podium or the point deficit is gonna be too big to overcome.

Miller has been great, and he seems to be a really nice guy. Very personable on camera, appears to be well liked by just about everyone, so of the four leaders I'm pulling for him.

Mir and Rins have been super disappointing so far - horrible qualifying (as usual), and Rins is crashing everywhere!

Rossi - I think this must be his last year. Once he gets the VR MotoGP team going I think he'll have enough on his plate that racing full time at the back of the pack will not be interesting enough for him.

And I think its cool that Aleix is showing some good speed on the Aprilia. Don't really care about him personally, but its good for competition and interest to have all the factories with at least the hope of a good finish.

To me this seems like (excluding small crowds from COVID) a golden era of MotoGP. You've got nearly every major factory except Kawasaki (BMW?) involved, all of them have the chance to be fast each weekend, and you've got a lot of new young talent that are fast right out of the gate.

On to Silly Season projections: Next year they dump Savadori, Petrucci, Alex Marquez and Lecuona and replace them with Dovi (Aprilia), Remy Gardner (Tech3), Raul Fernandez (Tech3), Acosta at LCR (stretch from Moto3!!!). Add perhaps Bezzecchi and Morbidelli (poached from Petronas) at VR46 and you have the 2022 field.
First forecast confirmed - Remy Gardner to Tech3! I haven’t seen or heard which seat he’s gonna get though - I’d guess that it’s Petrucci that’s out.

·
Registered
470 Posts
First forecast confirmed - Remy Gardner to Tech3! I haven’t seen or heard which seat he’s gonna get though - I’d guess that it’s Petrucci that’s out.
I think Tech3 have said both riders are out at the end of the season, but that may have just been announcer speculation I am recalling. The way Fernandez is adapting to the extra size and power of Moto2 it doesn't seem crazy for both the Ajo riders to move up to the Tech3 squad next year.

Mark

·
Registered
470 Posts
If weird shit ever stopped happening to Quartararo he would be killing it.

Moto3 was stupid insane into turn 1 on the last lap, they are lucky no one was killed. Acosta lost a chunk of points that time but lives to ride again. I can't tell if he's getting the jitters or was just not able to win the lottery in turn 1 this time around.

Moto2 was a snoozer with the Ajo KTM boys showing their class over the rest. Remy is looking like he has sorted his shit and is ready for the big time. Calm, cool and calculating in beating Fernandez twice in a row. Without Gardner there would be a rookie leading both moto2 and moto3 championships.

Mark

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
If weird shit ever stopped happening to Quartararo he would be killing it.

Moto3 was stupid insane into turn 1 on the last lap, they are lucky no one was killed. Acosta lost a chunk of points that time but lives to ride again. I can't tell if he's getting the jitters or was just not able to win the lottery in turn 1 this time around.

Moto2 was a snoozer with the Ajo KTM boys showing their class over the rest. Remy is looking like he has sorted his shit and is ready for the big time. Calm, cool and calculating in beating Fernandez twice in a row. Without Gardner there would be a rookie leading both moto2 and moto3 championships.

Mark
Quatararo........self inflicted problems!!

Acosta really needed those points too.....

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
So after crashing himself out of the race, 3 races in a row, finally........................ MM back on the top step and making some real points

So if he takes out 7 points average per race to the end of the season.............. he wins the championship......... lol..................
hopefully we don't see him crashing himself out of races the rest of the season, but we may see him finish ahead of many of those ahead of him in the current points standings for the next what.......... 14 rounds left? and say he creeps even just 5 points average per round on those ahead--drops him into a 2nd overall finish spot.......... I think that is actually achievable as long as he doesn't keep throwing the bike away, but 7 points average is also achievable but unlikely imo

ugh...... Good to see him back on top though

Reactions: sbk1198

·
Registered
799 Posts
So after crashing himself out of the race, 3 races in a row, finally........................ MM back on the top step and making some real points

So if he takes out 7 points average per race to the end of the season.............. he wins the championship......... lol..................
hopefully we don't see him crashing himself out of races the rest of the season, but we may see him finish ahead of many of those ahead of him in the current points standings for the next what.......... 14 rounds left? and say he creeps even just 5 points average per round on those ahead--drops him into a 2nd overall finish spot.......... I think that is actually achievable as long as he doesn't keep throwing the bike away, but 7 points average is also achievable but unlikely imo

ugh...... Good to see him back on top though
The interesting thing is that there is a close battle at the top, so the points are kinda spread out with noone in a commanding spot. That means he has to pass a lot of people and has to be extremely fast and consistent the rest of the way, which is probably too much to ask, but its not out of range completely. FQ has definitely been the most consistent fast guy and he would be way out of touch without a few of the bad breaks - it certainly helps that he's on the frickin' pole almost every weekend!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Well it doesn't matter at all what the field does if MM starts where he left off and is 1st or 2nd in every race the rest of the season, then it would only matter if Quattaro could match him

Why you ask......... he would gain atleast 9 pts per race on the field and pass them all

and we'll see but I don't think him being top 3 the rest of the way out is unrealistic, I am surprised it took him this long to win honestly.......... not nearly as surprised that he threw it away 3 races in a row as this was somewhat expected with so much time off the bike and the way he rides- I figured he would get through all those during practice and Q1,2,3 though- not so much in the races but......

he certainly was hhigh risk moves in the T1,T2 of the opening lap to push to the front, but after that he was pretty sharp and clean from what they aired.....

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well it doesn't matter at all what the field does if MM starts where he left off and is 1st or 2nd in every race the rest of the season, then it would only matter if Quattaro could match him
Well, Assen showed us more accurately where he is in his recovery. Better qualifying would have got him close to the podium but he was never going to win this race. Quatararo put on another top quality performance and Maverick looks like a petulant child. He may go down in history as the flakiest truly fast rider ever. If he does jump to Aprilia it will make for an interesting 2022 season with him having a whole new set of things to complain about.

After the break we go from one of the greatest tracks ever to 2 races at the shittiest track in the world. Why do they ever go to the Red Bull Ring, let alone for 2 effing races? Red Bull must have really ponied up $$$ to make that happen.

Moto3 was typically great with a bit of reason and restraint applied over the testosterone. Foggia has a rocket ship of a bike and used it to full effect. Acosta is doing what he can to keep his lead and Garcia is piling on the pressure. Should be a great stretch run between the two of them.

Moto2 was atypically excellent. Probably Fernandez's best ride in a GP to date, getting duffed up and knocked backed to 9th before smoking everyone anyway. Gardner also did a great job in damage limitation on a day where he clearly didn't have it working well. Nice to see the VDS bikes getting up with the KTM team, hopefully a few others will figure it out as well.

Mark

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Another horrific crash that he skates from- but I have no doubt affected him mentally and physically, then the obvious terrible qualifying starting 20th

but even through traffic he ran lap times the same as the leaders for 14 of the laps, and was within a couple of seconds of 3rd place...

Vinales gets his front tire run over by Quattararo leaving the line...... you can see all the tire smoke in the videos.... gets punted back to 6th before charging back to 2nd........ I think had he not gotten hit he and Quattararo would have had quite a battle for the win. Vinales clearly had the pace to win....... I'd be pissed too if some fucker just cut off the nose of my bike and hit the wheel hard enough to turn it!

Quattararo- sure he won, but he is so inconsistent he is going to have a handful of worse than 5th place finishes still to round out the season, to go with a few more wins...

Red Bull Ring is Autria??? so two fast straightaways with a couple kinks in them? I think Kevin Schwantz won there 3 of his 5 times despite having the slowest bike on the grid....

·
Registered
470 Posts
Red Bull Ring is Autria??? so two fast straightaways with a couple kinks in them? I think Kevin Schwantz won there 3 of his 5 times despite having the slowest bike on the grid....
Yep, plus 3 or 4 2nd gear corners. It sucks balls, as bad as nascar for tedium. You can win on the slowest bike if you have titanium balls. I wouldn't be surprised to see Marc up there after 5 weeks to rest the body and gain fitness.

Mark

·
Director of Moderation
7,502 Posts
Well, Assen showed us more accurately where he is in his recovery. Better qualifying would have got him close to the podium but he was never going to win this race. Quatararo put on another top quality performance and Maverick looks like a petulant child. He may go down in history as the flakiest truly fast rider ever. If he does jump to Aprilia it will make for an interesting 2022 season with him having a whole new set of things to complain about.

After the break we go from one of the greatest tracks ever to 2 races at the shittiest track in the world. Why do they ever go to the Red Bull Ring, let alone for 2 effing races? Red Bull must have really ponied up $$$ to make that happen.

Moto3 was typically great with a bit of reason and restraint applied over the testosterone. Foggia has a rocket ship of a bike and used it to full effect. Acosta is doing what he can to keep his lead and Garcia is piling on the pressure. Should be a great stretch run between the two of them.

Moto2 was atypically excellent. Probably Fernandez's best ride in a GP to date, getting duffed up and knocked backed to 9th before smoking everyone anyway. Gardner also did a great job in damage limitation on a day where he clearly didn't have it working well. Nice to see the VDS bikes getting up with the KTM team, hopefully a few others will figure it out as well.

Mark
What's wrong with Red Bull Ring?? I think it's a great track. Not the best, but far from the shittiest. Seems like a good venue, fast, hard braking zones, decent elevation change. Nothing spectacular by any means, but still pretty fun. I guess since I haven't been to any of those tracks in person, except Assen, the only thing I got to go by is playing all of them in the MotoGP games lol And as far as that goes, I rank Red Bull Ring somewhere in the middle. I like it better than COTA, Qatar, Chang/Buriram, Argentina, Valencia and maybe Silverstone also.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What's wrong with Red Bull Ring?? I think it's a great track. Not the best, but far from the shittiest. Seems like a good venue, fast, hard braking zones, decent elevation change. Nothing spectacular by any means, but still pretty fun. I guess since I haven't been to any of those tracks in person, except Assen, the only thing I got to go by is playing all of them in the MotoGP games lol And as far as that goes, I rank Red Bull Ring somewhere in the middle. I like it better than COTA, Qatar, Chang/Buriram, Argentina, Valencia and maybe Silverstone also.
Ya, in the game I'd rank Red Bull ring above a lot of others. Even watching it that track doesn't seem too bad.

I really like Argentina in the game for some reason, but Qatar and Silverstone can suck a dick.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What's wrong with Red Bull Ring??
It's fiddly stop/go with slow, uninteresting corners aside from the fast RH kink down the hill and the LH at the bottom of the hill. I don't know what the riders think of it but I hate watching the races there. If they are going to have double headers at least do it at a great track that everyone likes.

I don't play video games so I can't comment on how the tracks are in that venue.

Mark

·
Director of Moderation
7,502 Posts
It's fiddly stop/go with slow, uninteresting corners aside from the fast RH kink down the hill and the LH at the bottom of the hill. I don't know what the riders think of it but I hate watching the races there. If they are going to have double headers at least do it at a great track that everyone likes.

I don't play video games so I can't comment on how the tracks are in that venue.

Mark
I like the last section of it. I agree the hairpins at the end of the straights can go eat a satchel of richards, but the last sector, starting from the double apex left-hander to the front straight is pretty cool. They had a double header at Qatar, and that's a shitty track IMO. But I think that of most tracks that are flat. I would like Qatar a lot better if it wasn't completely flat and in the middle of a desert. The only cool thing it has going for it is that it's at night so it's something different. I wish they would do double headers at places like Mugello! Or Phillip Island! Those 2 and Portimao are probably my top 3 tracks on the current GP calendar. Aragon, Jerez, and Brno are close behind though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I like the last section of it. I agree the hairpins at the end of the straights can go eat a satchel of richards, but the last sector, starting from the double apex left-hander to the front straight is pretty cool. They had a double header at Qatar, and that's a shitty track IMO. But I think that of most tracks that are flat. I would like Qatar a lot better if it wasn't completely flat and in the middle of a desert. The only cool thing it has going for it is that it's at night so it's something different. I wish they would do double headers at places like Mugello! Or Phillip Island! Those 2 and Portimao are probably my top 3 tracks on the current GP calendar. Aragon, Jerez, and Brno are close behind though.
I agree on Qatar, it isn't much either. Amen to double headers at Mugello or PI, those are stellar tracks that everyone loves.

Mark

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Just started watching races.
FQ and Bagnaia!!
Good to see Zarco finding some consistency. He needs a win.
Why the fuck is Rossi still racing. Just stop.
Aprilia is such a fast bike. Wish Aleix could just push hard every race, all race.
MM always gonna be a threat when he’s on the bike.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts