Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Okay so I just got 15 minutes to watch 5 minutes of FP2 where MM struggled mightily until the last seconds and threw in a lap 4/10th off 1st (who is 3/10th clear of everyone) and ended up 6th......... and saw his interview....

hopefully he finds some continuity with himself and the bike on track..... His post day interview he said he was really struggling and thought tomorrow would be tougher...... but he really did have little to say post his 265 day absence althoguh he mentioned getting used to the carbon brakes and all the power once again.......

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
It was very probably due to some setup or test they were trying.

He said in the press conference he was getting onto Bradl's bike, so it would make sense they may want to adjust some things to see what happens.

·
Director of Moderation
7,502 Posts
I think he'll do really well tomorrow in FP3, FP4 and qualifying. Not sure if he'll be able to make the race distance on a good consistent pace. You can train in a gym or on a bicycle all you want, there's nothing that trains all your muscles needed to ride a beastly bike at race pace other than riding other motorcycles at race pace. He'll be sore as fuck on Sunday before the race even starts.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
He is basically on tires he has never ridden on, a suspension he has never ridden on, that start assist bullshit he never even tried until today (which they shouldn't even allow in racing IMO....fucking learn to use the clutch and throttle etc and use rider fucking skills again instead of electronics!!)
and the chassis is just slightly different from what he rode in 2019 and a couple days July of last year before he crashed....

but yes, GYM fit and simulator riding is nothing like being fit and ready on the real deal.... and he knows it,
.... but I bet adrenaline gets him through race distance, it will be the adrenaline crash afterwards when he really feels how out of shape he is... maybe....

But driving off track twice in two laps and damn near crashing a half dozen times in 3 laps......... he was definitely pushing to his current limits........ and totally missed his brake marker going into T1 by atleast 20' which is a terrible place to miss by that much...... 1 or 2 feet okay, 20' not so much.......

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Qualifying...... P6 2nd row, .17 seconds off the pole pace

and where is Rossi, more than 1 full second behind in P17...........

MM's dance with Rins........ lol

and what happened to Vinales? having a couple laps disqualified

and then Bagnaia's lap disqualified after being 4/10th clear on pole...... yellow flag infrigement....... now starts in P11

·
Registered
470 Posts
MotoGP race was decent, but not super dramatic. Fabio rode a very measured race and took his time getting to the front without taking chances. Lots of crashing for whatever reasons. Marc finished OK but that was mostly by staying on and watching the rest crash out. He definitely is nowhere near 100% and looks like it will be some time before he is able to challenge the front guys over race distances. Has anyone seen what Maverick's excuse was this time?

Moto2 was a great race, much better than the usual processional affairs. To me it looked like Lowes maybe panicked a bit after duffing the start and tried to get it all back in one corner. Fernandez looks great on a Moto2 bike and is picking up where he left off in Moto3 last season.

Moto3 was typically insane, but Acosta looked like he had it all in hand pretty well. I wonder what the odds were on Acosta winning the title before the season started? It's starting to look like a real possibility the way he is rolling now.

Mark

·
Director of Moderation
7,502 Posts
MotoGP race was decent, but not super dramatic. Fabio rode a very measured race and took his time getting to the front without taking chances. Lots of crashing for whatever reasons. Marc finished OK but that was mostly by staying on and watching the rest crash out. He definitely is nowhere near 100% and looks like it will be some time before he is able to challenge the front guys over race distances. Has anyone seen what Maverick's excuse was this time?

Moto2 was a great race, much better than the usual processional affairs. To me it looked like Lowes maybe panicked a bit after duffing the start and tried to get it all back in one corner. Fernandez looks great on a Moto2 bike and is picking up where he left off in Moto3 last season.

Moto3 was typically insane, but Acosta looked llike he had it all in hand pretty well. I wonder what the odds were on Acosta winning the title before the season started? It's starting to look like a real possibility the way he is rolling now.

Mark
I'm actually surprised Mark finished the race and had the pace he did. 1-2 more race weekends and he'll be back to racing at the front.

Moto 2 was awesome, but Gardner is now on my shit list for that move he made on Roberts. I was bummed that Roberts didn't have the pace to stay at the front after he lead several laps but thought he'd at least get a 3rd place.

That Acosta kid is definitely champion material. 16 years old and starts off the Moto 3 championship with 70 points out of 75 in 3 rounds! He already has a 31 point lead!

·
Registered
8,196 Posts

Moto3 was typically insane, but Acosta looked like he had it all in hand pretty well. I wonder what the odds were on Acosta winning the title before the season started? It's starting to look like a real possibility the way he is rolling now.

Mark
mark did not finish where he did because of crashers.........
he was 3rd until he rear ended mir and fell to 6th immediately and then pretty much sat there a few laps gathering himself back together running what 9th......... with a 3 second gap back to 10th for most of the race
of the crashers only 2 were in front of him..and he finished 7th

ohh look...fun fact.....

MM scored more points in this one race than Rossi has in the last 12 races combined.......

oh look MM is already up to 14th in overall championship standings only racing one of the three races

and if you actually look at his lap times......... more than half the race he sat .2 or .3 seconds off the leaders pace

all things considered I call his finish a win for MM

obviously he was dissappointed with this being his worst finish place since ?????????? ever???? sans when he has had any dnf's... His team and everyone trying to clap and cheer him up but it was obvious he was not happy with his results....
and I imagine nearly anyone used to winning or being top 2 in every race would be dissappointed in a 7th place finish....... He wants to win every race and is used to that

but I am sure he will do better next weekend and just keep getting better
between every session you could see him working his hands and arm on that chair- so it is obvious it is bothering him and will take time to be back in true race shape....

·
Registered
470 Posts
of the crashers only 2 were in front of him..and he finished 7th
I would say gaining 2 places in the top 10 without doing anything is pretty significant. 25% of the riders in front of him crashed. I was expecting him to be closer to 100% physically than he is, given the very long layoff he had. With his talent and mental toughness I was thinking he would be knocking on the top 5 but that was not to be with his physical condition. You could see how hard it was for him to ride every time he came in.

Mark

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I would say gaining 2 places in the top 10 without doing anything is pretty significant. 25% of the riders in front of him crashed. I was expecting him to be closer to 100% physically than he is, given the very long layoff he had. With his talent and mental toughness I was thinking he would be knocking on the top 5 but that was not to be with his physical condition. You could see how hard it was for him to ride every time he came in.

Mark
Because running lap times within a few tenths of the leader and staying on two wheels is "doing nothing"

Plus he was gaining on the two in front of him for the last half the race until he either..... decided 7th is good enough, or his body just couldn't give anymore and since he had about a 3+ second cushion behind him he slowed down and took his 7th place finish......

but whatever, you see it how you see it, I will see it how I want to see it.....

I think had he not hit Mir in the rear tire and fell back hundreds of yards and then get passed by 3 people in short order as a result, he likely would have been top 5 or 6....... but running into someones rear tire with your front usually puts you on the ground.... he did well to stay upright and only fall back what he did as a result

For his first outing he did well....... and of course I could see how much his body wasn't cooperating for him, it'll get better and I stick with my, podium within 3 rounds (3 now) and ahead on points by race 10

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
470 Posts
I stick with my, podium within 3 rounds (3 now) and ahead on points by race 10
I think that is a completely reasonable forecast as long as he doesn't bin it and hurt himself further. The only thing that would make the points lead tough would be one of the top 3 going on a run of podium finishes and none of them have ever displayed that type of consistency so far.

Mark

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quartararo may be the fly in MM's ointment though. He's looked very solid so far and a lot more composed after the one bad race he's had. Add in that he blew away the field at Jerez last year and that the Yamaha obviously is not as bad as its' riders like to say, its seems likely that he'll have a pretty big lead over #93 and the rest of the field after the next race.

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
Nothing? Huh. Guess the forum is dead.
My internet service provider doesn't give me any way to watch MotoGP.... and the free version on YouTube is so horrifically painful watch that I can't do it. Are they still doing two races on each track one weekend apart?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nothing? Huh. Guess the forum is dead.
Been swamped with work and building a new house so haven't had much time to worry about forums the last couple weeks.

Not much great racing this weekend, but lots of drama with the variable conditions. Why they don't visit France later in the year when the weather doesn't suck is beyond me.

My internet service provider doesn't give me any way to watch MotoGP.... and the free version on YouTube is so horrifically painful watch that I can't do it. Are they still doing two races on each track one weekend apart?
I download torrents as an alternative to paying the MotoGP ransom. They are back to one race every couple of weeks now that travel restrictions are dropping off.

Mark

·
Registered
871 Posts
Same. I've decided that I won't pay a single dime to the NFL, NBA, MotoGP, etc. until they fix their streaming services and by that I mean that I should be able to start a game or a race half-way done at the beginning and catch up (DVR). Like YouTube TV. The fact that I have to wait for the completion of an event and then another 2-3hrs after that for the thing to get posted pisses me off. That's why I cancelled my MotoGP pass. And why, like Matt, I simply find it on the internet in glorious 1080p (and even the pre/post-race stuff is available). Screw these large companies who can't even do the simplest of things for their users.

EDIT: That being said, I was disappointed when MM crashed. I thought for sure he nailed the flag-to-flag again.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
MM had what 5 crashes this past weekend between practice and 2 in the actual race.... ?

But yep when he took the lead I thought, here we go, MM is going to win this easily and then he is on his march to yet another championship........ then he bins it......... ugh

So he gets the damn thing back up and started and rejoins the race is like 19th? and within 1 lap is the fastest on track again and running em down, lap after lap the fastest- likely would not have won but was looking like a solid top 5......... as he catches up to Rossi in 11th he high sides the damn thing again...........

I think he knew at that point he could not get any points even if he could pick it up and get going again........ ugh

But;
his times were promising after going back to 2019 frame, suspension and making big wholesale changes back to hhis "old" bike set up........
He said he still feels like he isn't getting enough or correct) feedback from the bike yet........ go figure...

and given what 8 crashes now this season (pretty normal for MM is 3 weekends) and no new injuries I think we can say his arm is fine now and his desire to push to the edge and beyond is still there......

I think he is very very close to his old self again and a win is not far off, perhaps even this coming race?

·
Registered
799 Posts
The fight at the top is certainly leaving the window open for a Marquez push for another title, but these guys are now NOT the speed bumps that he was weaving through prior to his injury. FQ, Miller and Bagnia are seriously fast (I'm probably writing off Vinales too soon, but I don't think he's got the mental strength and toughness for it). As others have said, his arm and his mental state appear to be doing OK - he's had some wicked crashes and is definitely pushing to the edge and beyond. I'd say he's got maybe 2 or 3 more rounds to get on the podium or the point deficit is gonna be too big to overcome.

Miller has been great, and he seems to be a really nice guy. Very personable on camera, appears to be well liked by just about everyone, so of the four leaders I'm pulling for him.

Mir and Rins have been super disappointing so far - horrible qualifying (as usual), and Rins is crashing everywhere!

Rossi - I think this must be his last year. Once he gets the VR MotoGP team going I think he'll have enough on his plate that racing full time at the back of the pack will not be interesting enough for him.

And I think its cool that Aleix is showing some good speed on the Aprilia. Don't really care about him personally, but its good for competition and interest to have all the factories with at least the hope of a good finish.

To me this seems like (excluding small crowds from COVID) a golden era of MotoGP. You've got nearly every major factory except Kawasaki (BMW?) involved, all of them have the chance to be fast each weekend, and you've got a lot of new young talent that are fast right out of the gate.

On to Silly Season projections: Next year they dump Savadori, Petrucci, Alex Marquez and Lecuona and replace them with Dovi (Aprilia), Remy Gardner (Tech3), Raul Fernandez (Tech3), Acosta at LCR (stretch from Moto3!!!). Add perhaps Bezzecchi and Morbidelli (poached from Petronas) at VR46 and you have the 2022 field.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts