Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting this thread now that 2020 is over, and winter is upon us.

Can Suzuki maintain their momentum?

Will Marquez be a nonfactor?

Can the Yamaha's get back in the fight?

Will Zarco stop trying to kill everyone?

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
Was Ducati the last team to win the title, that was not a Japanese mfg? Does KTM stand a chance? Will BMW join the party? Will Triumph enter the fray?

·
Director of Moderation
10,418 Posts
I'm wondering if that moves means they won't be sponsoring Yamaha anymore. Not sure if sponsoring 2 rival factory teams is even a possibility lol

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm wondering if that moves means they won't be sponsoring Yamaha anymore. Not sure if sponsoring 2 rival factory teams is even a possibility lol
Isn't that just money? Not to say that Suzuki wouldn't want it to help with the costs, but will it help them on the track? I wouldn't think that Monster has some suspension gurus in their office....

Reactions: PhotoAl

·
Director of Moderation
10,418 Posts
Isn't that just money? Not to say that Suzuki wouldn't want it to help with the costs, but will it help them on the track? I wouldn't think that Monster has some suspension gurus in their office....
Nothing to do with bike development, but it's big money, which means some degree of politics and decision-making. Especially since Monster and Red Bull sponsor riders individually, as well as teams. A team sponsored by Monster could never hire a RB sponsored rider, or vice-versa unless someone was willing to forfeit some money and break a contract. But lots of money helps everywhere, on and off the track.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Looks like Yamaha is in free fall but really hard to tell from 2020. Were they not focused and paying attention with Honda out of the picture and COVID going on? Loosing a big sponsor doesn't help unless there is another waiting to step in. Next year will be interesting for sure. Seems like most big companies are learning how to deal with the pandemic. So I don't particularly see COVID impacting R&D the last few months. If Honda has been working behind the scenes and MM comes back strong and the other teams are not as strong but rather Yamaha screwed up then it will be a snooze next year - I don't think that is the case but just saying. Yamaha has gotten out of MotoAmerica, only making R6 for track use but does seem to be putting more effort in World Superbike. Maybe they are stepping back from racing, they have some nice street bikes and have been selling a lot of them. Will be an interesting few months.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another factor to think about is that some rider salaries are often subsidized with money from sponsors.

Not every manufacturer can afford a given rider, so can they get help with this approach to secure a rider.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also also ........... let's not forget that Yamaha lost its main sponsor in 2018 [Movistar], so it would not be unprecedented for it to happen again.

It probably won't happen, but I doubt that a company would continue to sponsor a factory if they are continuing to slide in results AND are getting outperformed by their satellite team.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is anyone taking bets on Marc missing all of 2021 or retiring altogether yet? This just keeps getting worse and worse.

Mark

·
Director of Moderation
10,418 Posts
Is anyone taking bets on Marc missing all of 2021 or retiring altogether yet? This just keeps getting worse and worse.

Mark
It is very strange that his healing process is not going well. But my guess is he'll be ready to race by March. My only concern is that his arm won't be at 100% and if he crashes again, he'll mess it up once again and have to miss some more races.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even if he comes back in 2021, this may be the first dent in his psychological armor.

There is no way that even Marc Marquez could fully eliminate the risk of same injury from their mindset.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Starting this thread now that 2020 is over, and winter is upon us.

Can Suzuki maintain their momentum?

Will Marquez be a nonfactor?

Can the Yamaha's get back in the fight?

Will Zarco stop trying to kill everyone?
1) Maybe.....
2) Marc will be the one to beat.
3) They can....but will they?
4) No, Zarco will continue to try and murder his opponents.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Wow...totally forgot to start this thread and I keep visiting the 2020 thread and I'm like, WTH, these guys are dead silent all of a sudden lol. DERP.

Anyhow, it'll be really sad for the sport if Marquez' career is cut short by Honda's inability to manage his injury properly considering he is on track to break all of the records. If he was a mid-field rider, it would still be sad to see a career end sooner than it should but wouldn't have implications on the historical aspect of the sport. I hope he can fully recover!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts