Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backstory: Bike got stolen and recovered. The guys cut my ignition wires to hotwire the bike, and now I have to replace it.

How difficult will it be to do it myself if I order the parts? And are there any tutorials out there to help guide me through it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
190 Posts
You'll have to drill out a couple of decent sized security bolts -- and order new ones.

When you torque the new ones down, the hex head shears off, leaving the next guy with a drilling task again.

You can find a video of an N400 here: Kawasaki Ninja 400 Woodcraft Key-switch Eliminator Install | Sportbike Track Gear - YouTube

If you look for key-switch eliminators, you might find a better video.

If you're ok with different keys for ignition and seat/tank, you can save a bunch of money by not ordering the whole set of locks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
While you are replacing the ignition switch remember the gas cap is keyed also. Maybe a locksmith could re-key the new ignition switch or you could swap barrels so you don't wind up needing two keys.

Glad you recovered your bike, hope they didn't trash it too much.

Seems like there is a tab that locks the steering. Did they break it off?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! They also broke my gas cap so I'm getting the Vortex gas cap to replace that, so no key is required for it. They only cut the wires, I guess I forgot to put the full steering lock on it which made it easier for them to take.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts