Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2019 Ninja 400, 2020 Ninja zx6r
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little confused or making it harder for myself. Looking to do a -1, +2 sprocket change. I just want to clarify a couple things before I make the purchase. Stock 2019+ zx6r sprocket are 15 tooth , 43 tooth. So I should be buying 14 tooth, 45 tooth right? 馃檭 I don't need a speedohealer because of the speed sensor ring right? Any recommendations for a sprocket and chain kit? I'm looking at driven 520 chain and sprocket kit. Thank you..

Registered
You are correct on all points, the brand of chain and sprockets depends largely on how long you want them to last, and what you鈥檙e willing to pay.

RiversZZR knows this subject well.

Either way, chain and sprocket life is controlled by how well you maintain them. You can get a chain/sprocket set to last > 15K miles or as little as 7-8 depending on what

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I know I want steel versus aluminum. From what I been reading -1 +2 is what generally people go for. Is there anything else I should be concern about?

Registered
-1, +2 is simply what you can use with the OEM chain by moving the rear wheel all the way forward in the adjustment range.

If you鈥檙e buying all three components as a set, 114 links instead of OEM 112 would have the rear wheel close to the OEM position in the swing arm.

If you want to preserve the handling of the bike, that鈥檚 something to consider.

You can go further from the OEM final gearing so long as you increase the chain length accordingly.

Seems like most find the higher RPM at highway speed annoying, much past -1/+2. You鈥檒l already be losing about 10% of your MPG at that point.

Registered
-1/+2 will result in 12% higher revs at any given gear/speed. That is a major change and will make the bike very buzzy on the highway. If it is for a track bike that is fine and usually worthwhile but I would find that completely unacceptable for a street bike.

Mark

Registered
Can't understand anyone wanting -1 +2 on an '19 + model unless you are stunting the bike for wheelies or whatever.
The bike is already factory -1F over previous models.

While I'm track only on my '19, I am using 15/42 sometimes 15/41.

YRMV.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are right, I'll leave it stock. I have no intention of stunting my bike or wheelies. Just wanted a little more acceleration. 馃槳 thanks all.

Registered
Can't understand anyone wanting -1 +2 on an '19 + model unless you are stunting the bike for wheelies or whatever.
The bike is already factory -1F over previous models.

While I'm track only on my '19, I am using 15/42 sometimes 15/41.

YRMV.
I didn鈥檛 know about the change in ratio from 鈥19 on鈥 good to know.

Registered
You guys are right, I'll leave it stock. I have no intention of stunting my bike or wheelies. Just wanted a little more acceleration. 馃槳 thanks all.
You could simply add 1 or 2 teeth to the rear, but I would suggest the longer chain (by 2 links over stock length--which is a 520x112links)
and obviously replacing all 3 components as a set is the best way to go if doing it...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could simply add 1 or 2 teeth to the rear, but I would suggest the longer chain (by 2 links over stock length--which is a 520x112links)
and obviously replacing all 3 components as a set is the best way to go if doing it...
Well adding 1 or 2 tooth add more top end? Sorry, don't know much on sprocket combination.

Registered
Well adding 1 or 2 tooth add more top end? Sorry, don't know much on sprocket combination.
No, adding teeth on the rear will reduce speed and increase acceleration. It's like using a lower gear.

Mark

Registered
No, adding teeth on the rear will reduce speed and increase acceleration. It's like using a lower gear.

Mark
theoretical top speed

actual top speed is likely unaffected by an increase in 1 or 2 teeth to the rear.....

Reactions: Sanctuary

Premium Member
I'm a little confused or making it harder for myself. Looking to do a -1, +2 sprocket change. I just want to clarify a couple things before I make the purchase. Stock 2019+ zx6r sprocket are 15 tooth , 43 tooth. So I should be buying 14 tooth, 45 tooth right? 馃檭 I don't need a speedohealer because of the speed sensor ring right? Any recommendations for a sprocket and chain kit? I'm looking at driven 520 chain and sprocket kit. Thank you..
Sprockets 101
Front - Reduce number of teeth, results in more torque, less speed
Front - Add number of teeth, results in less torque, more speed

Rear - Reduce number of teeth, results in less torque, more speed
Rear - Add number of teeth, results in more torque, less speed

Changing the number of teeth on the front sprocket will make a larger difference in torque and speed compared to the rear sprocket. For example, if you want to make a small increase in torque, then add a tooth to the rear sprocket.
You may need to adjust the number of chain links depending on the number of teeth you add or subtract from the sprockets. Most OEM chains support +/- 3 teeth.

More info:
https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/how-to-choose-motorcycle-sprockets

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see, ok thank for the wealth of knowledge. Thank you
Sprockets 101
Front - Reduce number of teeth, results in more torque, less speed
Front - Add number of teeth, results in less torque, more speed

Rear - Reduce number of teeth, results in less torque, more speed
Rear - Add number of teeth, results in more torque, less speed

Changing the number of teeth on the front sprocket will make a larger difference in torque and speed compared to the rear sprocket. For example, if you want to make a small increase in torque, then add a tooth to the rear sprocket.
You may need to adjust the number of chain links depending on the number of teeth you add or subtract from the sprockets. Most OEM chains support +/- 3 teeth.

More info:
https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/how-to-choose-motorcycle-sprockets
Thank you. For the crash course!

Premium Member
You鈥檙e welcome. Also wanted to mention materials. Steel should always be used for the front sprocket, the rear you have options. Aluminum is fine for the rear, that鈥檚 what I use. Steel will last longer but is heavier. If you have an aluminum rear and you are an aggressive rider or a track rider, check it for wear more often. Replace the sprockets and chain at the same time so they wear evenly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You鈥檙e welcome. Also wanted to mention materials. Steel should always be used for the front sprocket, the rear you have options. Aluminum is fine for the rear, that鈥檚 what I use. Steel will last longer but is heavier. If you have an aluminum rear and you are an aggressive rider or a track rider, check it for wear more often. Replace the sprockets and chain at the same time so they wear evenly.
I plan to get steel. Not a aggressive rider, but I see what your saying. Thank you again.

Registered
2021 Tuono V4 Factory
I had -1/+2 on my 2020, was fine on the highway (although I always wear ear protection).

Bike had great acceleration and I couldn't ever complain, if you ride highways a lot with your bike then I wouldn't think about doing the full -1/+2. Just add a tooth or two to the rear like Rivers said if you're wanting a little more pep in your step.

Best of luck OP.

Registered
I plan to get steel. Not a aggressive rider, but I see what your saying. Thank you again.
nearly zero motorcycles can actually top out in top gear with stock gearing, the zx6r is no exception to that........

So you really are not losing top speed like a few have stated, just theoretical top speed (ie.... if you bike had 50 more hp and could pull the stock gearing)
so you often gain top speed and more quickness in acceleration when adding a tooth or two to the rear

fyi.......... -1/+2 is about the same as adding 5 to the rear, so "only" adding 2 to the rear only is usually a very good improvement without revving you to the moon while cruising down the interstate

Registered
Well, I know I want steel versus aluminum. From what I been reading -1 +2 is what generally people go for. Is there anything else I should be concern about?
I have a track only 鈥21 and on day one went down 1 and up 2. I realized quickly that these bikes (including yours) make their power on the upper midrange and that I had way too much gearing. I would start -1 on the front and see what you think. -1 and +2 IMO will be too much.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts