Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
10,213 Posts
Nobody watching WSBK anymore or how come this thread has barely any posts? lol

This weekend races were not that exciting though. Rea being himself again. Davies still struggling, which sucks to see. Gerloff was on track to get a top 10 in the second race before colliding with another dude and dropped back a few spots. It will come though. I just hope he keeps it on 2-wheels and does good enough this season to earn himself another go at it next year. Once he gets more comfortable with the new tracks, the people he's racing with, the tires, the bike, etc. I bet he'll be running closer to the front.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I’ve been watching WSBK and I really enjoyed this weekend. I’ve been a Rea fan since BSB, just love the style and it was good to see Redding isn’t going to have as easy a time as he had in BSB last year. I love Scott and he’s from just down the road from me, but I don’t like to see GP boys thinking the other championships are easy. While last years BSB grid was good, no one rode as well as the previous few years and ultimately Shakey wasn’t there.

Toprak seemed to stay in the hunt and prove what a missile he is which was great to see and a rivalry is brewing I hope will last for years to come. VDM, Lowes and Rinaldi had decent runs though a couple less mistakes and they’d have looked more competitive. Baz was awesome and I really cheered him on with his fantastic story Ten Kate.

The likes of Sykes, Haslam, Laverty, Davies, Fores, Melandri and Bautista must have been pretty gutted recently. They are all better riders than they’re showing but are at least having good battles among themselves.

I can’t wait for more and really hope to see a step up from BMW, Honda and Aprilia over the winter. I think the Ducati is a flying machine, but judging by BSB the worlds best electronics package isn’t playing ball at all yet. Looks to me like Scott struggled with the front this weekend and Chaz hasn’t had much confidence in it since the move to the V4. Down the straights though it’s practically a different sport. Good job they can’t stop it well this year or we’d have to invent a new class.

The issue with Rea is he’s good, really good, and he’s as at home on the Kawasaki as anyone has been with a great team that works well together. There isn’t really a weak spot but when the same could be said for Chaz on the V2... boy that was a spectacular sight.

Reactions: sbk1198

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nobody watching WSBK anymore or how come this thread has barely any posts? lol

This weekend races were not that exciting though. Rea being himself again. Davies still struggling, which sucks to see.
TBH, it just hasn't been good racing with Rea walking on everybody before last year. This year he is going to have to work hard to earn another title with all the guys that are close and tracks where he doesn't have the best bike. Rea was always odds on favourite to win at Portimao, it is a track he has owned since back in his Honda days. What a fantastic track, the elevation changes are amazing. It would be a great place to do a track day.

I agree on Davies. Whatever the reasons he has simply not gelled with the V4R and can't seem to get it going. I was hoping it would put him back in contention, he has earned it after soldiering on with the V2 the last couple seasons when it was no longer competitive and not being a whiny bitch about it.

I had to laugh at the WSS announcers going on about how they haven't seen how Locatelli handles pressure and having to race with other bikes around him. He did 3 seasons each of Moto3 and Moto2, with 6 top 10 finishes in Moto2. That is the toughest series in the world with the most cutthroat racing there is, so he can handle competition just fine. I know they have to try and generate some interest but it was annoying how they went on and on about it when the answer is plain to anyone who understands racing.

Mark

·
Registered
175 Posts
I realise I’m a self confessed JR fan but to be fair his wins have come in the face of some great battles (Chaz), Kawasaki slowing rules (mid-season changes, engine, reverse grids) and even facing down 11 consecutive trouncings by Ducati which must have been seriously demoralising. Not to mention some pretty tough years at Honda. He’s learned a craft and perfected it.

I really hope Davies steps up.His battles with JR were fantastic and he deserves more than he’s got. So do a lot of others. He’s quick to point out better results at the end of 2019 but it didn’t last.

·
Director of Moderation
10,213 Posts
I realise I’m a self confessed JR fan but to be fair his wins have come in the face of some great battles (Chaz), Kawasaki slowing rules (mid-season changes, engine, reverse grids) and even facing down 11 consecutive trouncings by Ducati which must have been seriously demoralising. Not to mention some pretty tough years at Honda. He’s learned a craft and perfected it.

I really hope Davies steps up.His battles with JR were fantastic and he deserves more than he’s got. So do a lot of others. He’s quick to point out better results at the end of 2019 but it didn’t last.
I used to not like JR years ago when he was on the Honda because of a few instances where he rode like a dick and made a few others crash. I didn't realize though just how good he actually was and how bad the Honda was until 2015 when he switched over. The guy is amazing at what he does and it makes sense that he's the most successful WSBK racer in the history of the series. Especially after last year like you said. I've been a Davies fan for quite some time and Ducati fan for way longer, so the combination of Davies on the Ducati is what I've been hoping to see on top for the last 4-5 years...and after seeing Bautista absolutely dominate the first few rounds last year, I thought then "This is it! This is the year Ducati wins again and someone finally stops Rea from dominating"...then he makes a big comeback and takes the championship by a big margin once again!

At that point I figured the only one that can stop Rea is himself. Either he gets injured, or he gets old and just can't keep up the pace or he just loses interest and retires. Those are about the only way. I just don't see anyone beating him legitimately. There are some that are fast enough to beat him in a few races occasionally, but nobody is as consistent as him.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Think Gerloff will get it together. Remember his first year in MotoAmerica super bike. He struggled a bit, got knocked off by Tony at Barber - I had great view of his bike sliding down the pit entry and him running after it. Last year it was clear he had it figured out and was faster than Cameron (who is a great fella) but did his job protecting the championship. Superbike races at Barber were almost laughable as the two championship contenders were really outridden by their teammates. A little more time and Garrett will be right up there. My favorite race of his was when he rode thru the gravel during the first lap at Barber then charged back thru the field to take 3rd.

·
Director of Moderation
10,213 Posts
Think Gerloff will get it together. Remember his first year in MotoAmerica super bike. He struggled a bit, got knocked off by Tony at Barber - I had great view of his bike sliding down the pit entry and him running after it. Last year it was clear he had it figured out and was faster than Cameron (who is a great fella) but did his job protecting the championship. Superbike races at Barber were almost laughable as the two championship contenders were really outridden by their teammates. A little more time and Garrett will be right up there. My favorite race of his was when he rode thru the gravel during the first lap at Barber then charged back thru the field to take 3rd.
He was faster than Cameron in like 2-3 races...but for the most of the championship and most tracks, not so much. So I wouldn't say he was faster than Cameron by any means. That would be like saying Crutchlow was faster than Marquez, because he beat him a couple of times lol

·
Director of Moderation
10,213 Posts

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I've been impressed at how well Escalante is able to adapt to this new track. Trying different passes until it sticks. Great first race.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sucks that the SBK race was red flagged. Fong got the Mir treatment.

·
Director of Moderation
10,213 Posts
Red flags in every race except Jr Cup today. Two in the twins race...and there was only like 13-14 people on the grid to begin with...da fuk is going on there??

·
Director of Moderation
10,213 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
10,213 Posts
WSBK races were pretty good. Nice Ducati 1-2 in he first race, and another good job for Davies in the 2nd race. Rea always seems to be extra motivated after he doesn't win a race and comes back stronger afterwards. WSS races don't seem to be very exciting this year. Locatelli has won like every race I think this year (except for one where I believe he crashed in while leading).

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
What an amazing race 2! Probably the best race I've seen all season. Rea is the man!

·
Registered
330 Posts
WSS races don't seem to be very exciting this year. Locatelli has won like every race I think this year (except for one where I believe he crashed in while leading).
Locatelli has been on pole, set fastest lap and won every race so far this year. It has been much less exciting, as you say. He got some help last weekend with De Rosa and Cluzel taking each other out, but I suspect it wouldn't have mattered much in the end.

What an amazing race 2! Probably the best race I've seen all season. Rea is the man!
+1. Rea really dug in and ran incredibly hard to stay with the Ducatis at a track where he shouldn't have had a sniff. Just like last year, he is proving why he is the goat of WSBK. His determination and mental toughness are amazing.

I think it might be time to take some revs away from the Ducatis with the massive advantage they now have over the rest of the field in acceleration and top end. Last year when people were wailing about the Ducati being a cheater bike and having too much advantage it was only Bautista who could make the thing work. The rest of their bikes were barely in the top 10 lots of races. Now they have several riders all running right at the front with only one Kawasaki able to win and the Yamahas trailing behind.

Mark

·
Director of Moderation
10,213 Posts
I need to watch some of those. I looked at the results already since I couldn't watch any races this weekend. The first race seemed boring just based on the gaps between the front few at the end of the race.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts