Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
9,951 Posts

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
WTF? Alex Marquez hasn't even done a practice session or race (just the pre-season testing). He didn't even get a chance to prove himself and he's getting the boot?
Pol is really the only other person who will probably be able to do anything on the Honda.

I've been a big fan of Pol for years, and his style seems like it would fit well with the bike.

I don't really see Alex doing anything. He will probably finish behind Nakagami in most every race.

·
Director of Moderation
9,951 Posts
Pol is really the only other person who will probably be able to do anything on the Honda.

I've been a big fan of Pol for years, and his style seems like it would fit well with the bike.

I don't really see Alex doing anything. He will probably finish behind Nakagami in most every race.
You're probably right, but it just doesn't feel right to give a guy a factory ride and then kick him off the team before the season even actually starts. Not everyone's like MM93 or Rossi. Not everyone jumps on a new bike and is instantly fast. Most take a few weekends at least to get there.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
You're probably right, but it just doesn't feel right to give a guy a factory ride and then kick him off the team before the season even actually starts. Not everyone's like MM93 or Rossi. Not everyone jumps on a new bike and is instantly fast. Most take a few weekends at least to get there.

We will never know what kind of drama or political bullshit is going on behind the scenes which leads to any decision.

But, an alternative thought -- do you think Alex really deserved a factory ride?

2019 Moto2 champion or not (barely....by 3 points), little Marquez or not .... I don't think his results comprehensively have earned him a factory ride in MotoGP. More than anything else, he's proven that he is inconsistent, a crasher, and can be reactive on track. One good (not great) year doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

If I were (Honda) and (picking from Moto2), I would've put Binder on that bike before Marquez. He's done more with less and in less time. Binder destroyed the moto3 field, and would've run away with the moto2 championship if he had a better bike underneath him for the first half of the 2019 season.

And now back to the main point -- Pol has proven himself to be a successful, intelligent rider over and over and over and over on track.

·
Director of Moderation
9,951 Posts
We will never know what kind of drama or political bullshit is going on behind the scenes which leads to any decision.

But, an alternative thought -- do you think Alex really deserved a factory ride?

2019 Moto2 champion or not (barely....by 3 points), little Marquez or not .... I don't think his results comprehensively have earned him a factory ride in MotoGP. More than anything else, he's proven that he is inconsistent, a crasher, and can be reactive on track. One good (not great) year doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

If I were (Honda) and (picking from Moto2), I would've put Binder on that bike before Marquez. He's done more with less and in less time. Binder destroyed the moto3 field, and would've run away with the moto2 championship if he had a better bike underneath him for the first half of the 2019 season.

And now back to the main point -- Pol has proven himself to be a successful, intelligent rider over and over and over and over on track.
I agree with all of that. I think the only reason Alex got the factory ride was because of his last name. I too would've picked Binder instead if I was going strictly off performance.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I agree with all of that. I think the only reason Alex got the factory ride was because of his last name. I too would've picked Binder instead if I was going strictly off performance.
Also, to your earlier point ...... most people don't go straight to a full factory ride. Maybe a factory supported satellite ride, but almost always to a satellite team.

Look at Zarco. He is the best rider to come out of moto2 and he didn't even get a factory SPEC ride, let alone a factory seat.

Most of the manufacturers have now modeled their presence with that 'vet and promote' approach. Moto2 riders go to a satellite team with factory support to prove whether or not they're capable of results in the championship, and then are moved accordingly to a factory ride within the same manufacturer or ..... not.

·
Registered
292 Posts
WTF? Alex Marquez hasn't even done a practice session or race (just the pre-season testing). He didn't even get a chance to prove himself and he's getting the boot?
It's a tough world sometimes, but that seems pretty harsh to me as well. If you sign a rider you should at least stick with him through a season before dumping him.

I would agree with that. He was fast on the KTM even when it was a nasty handling monster, very similar to the Honda.

Not really. He was the Moto2 champ, but not in impressive fashion. He probably deserved a shot at a MotoGP seat, but not a factory one.

Look at Zarco. He is the best rider to come out of moto2 and he didn't even get a factory SPEC ride, let alone a factory seat.
Zarco got screwed in that respect because none of the satellite teams had full factory spec bikes when he came in. It is only the last couple years that this has been a thing and mostly because of Quartararo forcing Yamaha's hand and Ducati being desperate to have somebody challenge Marc on their bike.

Mark

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Also, it's kinda funny. Among all these rumors, Pol had made some comment along the lines of he wanted to stay at KTM in the immediate future as he's still young, but would entertain a move to Honda in the future when he's further along in his career.

Even if he does move to Honda (now), he's highly regarded for his development contributions to KTM since the beginning. Now they have Pedrosa for development, and exclusively for development, and so maybe the "role" he plays at KTM has shifted more towards results. The Honda would likely be a better platform than the KTM for results in his eyes.

Or ..... maybe Honda wants Pol for his development. The Honda bike is 100% a Marquez custom fitted machine, and maybe HRC have finally recognized that they need a friendlier bike in the event MM93 leaves.

Who knows? Not me :)

·
Director of Moderation
9,951 Posts
Anyone that wins a Moto 2 championship deserves a shot at MotoGP IMO. Not a factory ride, but some satellite team to prove his worth. There have only been very few cases, with Marc Marquez I think being the first to jump straight on a factory bike. But I also think Joan Mir went straight to a factory team too, and he never even won Moto 2. Can't think of any other cases right now.

Also, Zarco is not the best one to come out of Moto 2. MM93 is, and it shows ;)

·
Director of Moderation
9,951 Posts
My statement was more open to interpretation that I realized. Allow me to rephrase:

Zarco was the most successful rider in moto2 to come to motogp.
I know what you were going after, but I'd still strongly disagree with that. He won 2 championships because he stayed in longer. That's all. Look at he rest of the stats:

• championships: MM 1/2 (50%), JH 2/5 (40%)
  • race wins: MM 16/32 (50%), JH 15/88 (17%)
  • podiums: MM 25/32 (78%), JH 30/88 (34%)
  • avg points per race: MM 18.1, JH 11.5
Zarco rode on 3 different chassis in Moto 2 and wasn't until his 4th and 5th seasons when he got on a Kalex (which has long been seen as the top chassis in Moto 2) that he did really well. On the Suter he didn't impress much. Marquez did all of that on a Suter chassis. If it wouldn't have been for his injury in 2011 he would've won the championship in his first year, but he missed 2 or 3 races and lost out to Bradl.

To me, their performance doesn't even compare based on all the stats, even though Zarco has that one extra trophy. Not to mention when both were in Moto 2 at the same time, Zarco wasn't even close to Marquez. And then MotoGP happened...and well you know how that went lol

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
388 Posts
Is it possible that Honda wanted Alex in the LCR team but couldn’t because of Cal and Nakagami’s contracts? Maybe they didn’t want him to go to another manufacturer so they just put him on the factory team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Is it possible that Honda wanted Alex in the LCR team but couldn’t because of Cal and Nakagami’s contracts? Maybe they didn’t want him to go to another manufacturer so they just put him on the factory team?

Maybe it was part of the agreement in Marc's 4 year contract. :LOL:

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I've got a lot of respect for Stoner, but the dude needs to make a decision to get on a MotoGP bike or walk away from the sport.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've got a lot of respect for Stoner, but the dude needs to make a decision to get on a MotoGP bike or walk away from the sport.
Why does he need to come back now? Why can’t he just piss around for a little while longer? Maybe he’s got his eye on a bike that he hasn’t won a championship on and he’s waiting for a seat to open up?

161 - 180 of 209 Posts