Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Agree Alex is not as fast as Marc but Honda has a pretty good backup in case Marc succeeds in hurting himself, something he keeps trying to do. Honda keeps Marc happy, avoids intense rivalry on the team and doesn't have to put up with other riders wanting ride. Have to think they are sandbagging a bit, Crutchlow shows the potential of the Honda and its better than Marcs times might indicate. I keep hoping for a different team to win.

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts
Agree Alex is not as fast as Marc but Honda has a pretty good backup in case Marc succeeds in hurting himself, something he keeps trying to do. Honda keeps Marc happy, avoids intense rivalry on the team and doesn't have to put up with other riders wanting ride. Have to think they are sandbagging a bit, Crutchlow shows the potential of the Honda and its better than Marcs times might indicate. I keep hoping for a different team to win.
Yeah as far as team dynamics go, getting Alex was probably a good idea for HRC. But it's all fun and games until one of them crashes the other one out in a race lol Curious how long until an incident like that happens and how those team dynamics will change after that?

Imagine if later next year Alex causes Marc to crash in a race and that results in Marc not winning the championship. Or Alex is at the front about to have his first win in GP, and Marc makes a sketchy pass causing Alex to crash. That brotherly love could soon change lol At the moment Marc will do as much as he can to help Alex get up to speed. Saw a short video from the testing yesterday where Marc slowed down by like 2 seconds to follow Alex around.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Bye bye trellis frame
Is the new one still steel? It's tough to tell from the pics, but it seems like a very small section size if it is aluminum.

Zarco fucked around and got left without a ride for the year and I can't tell the difference between this and what Bautista did.
How is Zarco leaving halfway through a season while under contract at all the same as Bautista not re-signing with Ducati to sign with Honda instead? Or are you referring to something else Bautista did?

Well then....this is awkward :devilish
Yeah, yeah. We shall see how the season plays out and who is laughing at the end. :eek:

Honda keeps Marc happy, avoids intense rivalry on the team and doesn't have to put up with other riders wanting ride.
I don't know about that team harmony bit. Brothers can mean more baggage than two strangers. They seem to be friendly and supportive of one another, but family issues can cause trouble in a hurry.

Mark

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts
Yeah, yeah. We shall see how the season plays out and who is laughing at the end. :eek:

Mark
Nah I tend to agree with you on that, I just thought it was funny that you said that right as I was checking results and Alex was above Binder lol

It'll be tough to predict who's going to finish ahead of who in the championship. I think I would put my money on Alex simply because he's on a factory Honda and in the same garage as MM, whereas Binder is on a KTM which is still undergoing a bunch of changes. If they were on the same bike, I would pick Binder to beat Alex in most races.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The best race I have ever watched was when Roger Hayden beat Tommy Hayden at Barbers - a really fierce battle the hole race but with respect.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nah I tend to agree with you on that, I just thought it was funny that you said that right as I was checking results and Alex was above Binder lol
The timing was pretty ironic, I agree.

It'll be tough to predict who's going to finish ahead of who in the championship. I think I would put my money on Alex simply because he's on a factory Honda and in the same garage as MM, whereas Binder is on a KTM which is still undergoing a bunch of changes. If they were on the same bike, I would pick Binder to beat Alex in most races.
I think you are probably correct, though the Honda seems to hurt riders. The KTM could be really decent by mid season with all the resources they are putting into it and a quality test program. I have wondered if Binder can manage to stay injury-free on a MotoGP bike. He rides so aggressively that it may bite him much harder than Moto3 and Moto2 bikes have so far.

Mark

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Honda to have the least rideable RC213V ever. I wonder whose career it'll kill next year.

Valencia Test: Marquez: I want fastest bike, not easier bike

"If you have an easier bike, it will help all the Honda riders, but my target is to have the fastest bike," Marquez said at the end of this week's Valencia test, where he spent two days working on next year's prototype RC213V.

"It doesn't matter if it's difficult or not, what I want is to try to win. It doesn't matter if I need to push more or less on the riding.

"But of course we are trying to work on the chassis area, to try to be easier on competitive lap times."

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts
If there is one guy who can wrangle a beast, it's him. Imagine him with the power of a Ducati on the straight? #pullthepincity
The Honda was as fast as ever this year. Very similar to the Ducati in top speed traps. I believe there were even a couple of instances where Marquez passed Ducatis on straightaways, something that no other bike has done and the Honda hasn't done that in years.

I think Marquez and HRC need to be careful with how they change the bike and not do something too drastic and make it worse (like 2015 where they changed the frame and made the bike worse). I'm all for improvements but when you have a winning formula I say don't fuck with it! lol The guy only had one DNF and finished every other race 1st or 2nd...I would maybe give it a new paint job to make it look different and leave the rest as is lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
If there is one guy who can wrangle a beast, it's him. Imagine him with the power of a Ducati on the straight? #pullthepincity
The Honda was pretty close this year. Last year he couldn't even stay in the draft of the Ducati and this year he actually managed a couple drafting passes on them.

I'm all for improvements but when you have a winning formula I say don't fuck with it! lol The guy only had one DNF and finished every other race 1st or 2nd...I would maybe give it a new paint job to make it look different and leave the rest as is lol
+1, the Honda was good enough for Marc to nuke everyone else this year with relative ease. I can't imagine anyone coming up with something that lets the others actually compete for the title in 2020. Maybe Quatararo if Yamaha finds another 30+hp without screwing up the chassis in the process, but even that is a long shot.

The one DNF he did have he was leading by a mile, so it really was 19 for 19 in terms of competitiveness. Nowhere was he particularly weak or at a major disadvantage to the rest.

Mark

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
JEREZ MOTOGP TEST TIMES - MONDAY (FINAL)

RIDER NAT TEAM TIME LAP
1 = Maverick Viñales SPA Monster Yamaha (YZR-M1) 1m 37.131s 60/68
2 = Fabio Quartararo FRA Petronas Yamaha (YZR-M1) +0.754s 59/68
3 = Joan Mir SPA Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) +0.881s 34/56
4 = Alex Rins SPA Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) +0.958s 51/69
5 = Franco Morbidelli ITA Petronas Yamaha (YZR-M1) +0.986s 61/75
6 = Marc Marquez SPA Repsol Honda (RC213V) +1.096s 22/69
7 = Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) +1.122s 58/66
8 = Pol Espargaro SPA Red Bull KTM (RC16) +1.217s 21/56
9 = Danilo Petrucci ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici) +1.227s 42/48
10 = Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici) +1.343s 29/45
11 = Jack Miller AUS Pramac Ducati (Desmosedici) +1.361s 30/52
12 = Aleix Espargaro ITA Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) +1.369s 32/53
13 = Andrea Iannone ITA Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) +1.620s 42/49
14 = Valentino Rossi ITA Monster Yamaha (YZR-M1) +1.628s 59/64
15 = Tito Rabat SPA Reale Avintia (Desmosedici) +1.972s 53/53
16 = Sylvain Guintoli FRA Suzuki Test Rider (GSX-RR) +2.017s 31/63
17 = Alex Marquez SPA Repsol Honda (RC213V)* +2.282s 67/70
18 ^1 Bradley Smith GBR Aprilia Test Rider (RS-GP) +2.457s 66/67
19 ˅1 Michele Pirro ITA Ducati Test Rider (Desmosedici) +2.521s 8/27
20 = Iker Lecuona SPA Red Bull KTM Tech3 (RC16)* +2.802s 33/38
21 = Brad Binder RSA Red Bull KTM (RC16)* +2.849s 49/67
22 = Eric Granado BRA Reale Avintia (Desmosedici) +5.925s 18/21

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts
Would've expected Binder to be faster than Iker Lecuona.

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Same issue? Didn't realize he had any shoulder problems again.
Good commentary from Dovi on two different types of racers - 1 tells you about the injuries and complains, the other hides it so you don't see the weakness. Marquez is definitely the latter

"There are two types of riders. Most speak about their [problems] in front of everybody and say, ‘I have this [injury], I have this, I have that.’ But some do the opposite – they don’t talk about their injuries so that they don’t show [weakness]. And they push at 100 percent. Marc is one of them."

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts
Good commentary from Dovi on two different types of racers - 1 tells you about the injuries and complains, the other hides it so you don't see the weakness. Marquez is definitely the latter

"There are two types of riders. Most speak about their [problems] in front of everybody and say, ‘I have this [injury], I have this, I have that.’ But some do the opposite — they don’t talk about their injuries so that they don’t show [weakness]. And they push at 100 percent. Marc is one of them."
Yeah there was not a single mention in any article or interview about his right shoulder this year. When he had the dislocation issues with his left shoulder it was pretty well known because it happened a few times throughout the season. I remember in the race when he won the championship, Scott Redding stopped next to him to congratulate him and smacked him in the arm/shoulder area and it was enough to dislocate it! And this dude had just done 20+ laps on a 250+ hp bike at near lap record pace! :coocoo

41 - 60 of 100 Posts