Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I previously posted in the new member portion of the forum, I purchased a wrecked ZX6R (2019) fairly cheap in order to rebuild it.

so far below are pictures of what took me I would say more or less 10-15 hours of work here and there.

Excuse the mess in the garage, I clean it but somehow whenever the kids start riding their bikes my tools are everywhere and the garage is a mess.

on to the good.

tear down wasn’t horrible, I believe all in all complete tear down to remove frame I spend about 6 hours or so. Removing the switches from the clip ons(which honestly could have been removed with clip ons) and taking the brake lines, calipers, rear sets off along with rear tire took me about 3 hours one day as I was placing everything in boxes and bleeding the brakes to ensure a cleaner storage.
From there I just made sure all connectors sat on top of engine I left the throttle body in place just taped over them so no trash would fall in. Next day came out and removed the forks and placed remainder of bike on ground to remove frame with swingarm attached.

AF1BC0F6-B28E-444B-BE6A-A2B137267F66.jpeg
E56CE8BD-E3BF-44BD-985B-AD7CE319D5C4.jpeg
A1E0A72B-FCF6-4FFE-82AF-43581DD9A78C.jpeg
I’ll

bought a brand new frame from Kawasaki so that took a bit to get in, haven’t been staying on top of it as I have house work and what not going on too. I may be missing some nuts and bolts that I have to resource. But main components right now stopping me from getting it started, I need a radiator and to have a hairline crack on the oil pan repaired. And I don’t mean JB weld haha.

well as I finish her up I will update some more. Oh and here is a picture of the reason the frame was replaced.

·
Registered
Rossi Leg Dangler
240 Posts
Awesome man. Bring her back to life. Wish I could say I have the know how to go that in depth!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome man. Bring her back to life. Wish I could say I have the know how to go that in depth!
If I’m being honest, this is the first time I tear a bike down to this level. I’ve spent most of my youth tearing cars apart, so I figure what’s the difference you know. Sometimes just like with anything, I stumble a bit. It’s still doesn’t stop me. Once completed I will post up a video and more pics. Haven’t had a chance to get to it lately. And I’m waiting on a few major parts to arrive. Radiator, oil pan, and front stay/air duct.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I see these things torn down it amazes me how much stuff is crammed in there.
Exactly, it’s like these engineers actually do think some things through haha. Nah but it’s amazing how much they cram in. ABS Pump, ECU, throttle body all that stuff starts to take up space.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If I’m being honest, this is the first time I tear a bike down to this level. I’ve spent most of my youth tearing cars apart, so I figure what’s the difference you know. Sometimes just like with anything, I stumble a bit. It’s still doesn’t stop me. Once completed I will post up a video and more pics. Haven’t had a chance to get to it lately. And I’m waiting on a few major parts to arrive. Radiator, oil pan, and front stay/air duct.
I am doing the same thing but I have never worked on my own stuff before its definitely a learning experience and I dont think I could ever go back to paying someone to fix my bike now. This forum is also awesome for help when I need it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am doing the same thing but I have never worked on my own stuff before its definitely a learning experience and I dont think I could ever go back to paying someone to fix my bike now. This forum is also awesome for help when I need it.
I hear you, when I got back to riding bikes I started with small stuff here and there. Swapping fairings, pads and rotors, levers, clutch cables simple things. I haven’t cracked open any of my bike engines. But assuming from what I’ve seen on my kids dirt bikes and quads, I would think they are very similar. I have watched videos on YT of how people tear apart engines but have yet to do one myself. Well anything bigger than a 250cc at least. I’ve done clutch baskets and clutches on my GSX-R but still haven’t touched cams or cranks on any of my 600cc bikes. Either way, im sure when the time comes I’ll be able to take care of it myself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I hear you, when I got back to riding bikes I started with small stuff here and there. Swapping fairings, pads and rotors, levers, clutch cables simple things. I haven’t cracked open any of my bike engines. But assuming from what I’ve seen on my kids dirt bikes and quads, I would think they are very similar. I have watched videos on YT of how people tear apart engines but have yet to do one myself. Well anything bigger than a 250cc at least. I’ve done clutch baskets and clutches on my GSX-R but still haven’t touched cams or cranks on any of my 600cc bikes. Either way, im sure when the time comes I’ll be able to take care of it myself.
Keep us posted on how it goes. I am excited for the results

·
Registered
152 Posts
Delboy garage is another great resource some of the wreck bike rebuild show from chase on two wheels is also very informative as well

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are a few more pics of progress made. Still waiting on oil pans and front upper stay/ram air intake. And as you all can see once I have it completed I will need to get the tank addressed at a body shop.

quick question though. Can anyone tell me what these wires are for? They seem to stretch the length of the tach connector. Seems like I’m missing a plug/connector. I’m sure the female and male plugs go to the right side turn signal. However looks like the other two wires were pulled from a plug.

Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
Without seeing the wire colors, it's a guessing game which could have consequences you don't want.... if you have the shop manual and can peel back the sheathing over the wire insulation so you can read the color code, you can suss this out pretty quickly.

It's a matter of knowing the major color comes first, and the stripe comes second, and what the abbreviations are. wht, blk, or, bl, gr, gry, etc.

·
Registered
659 Posts
So nice to see all the photos particularly the ones of just the frame and engine. Amazing how small it really is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Without seeing the wire colors, it's a guessing game which could have consequences you don't want.... if you have the shop manual and can peel back the sheathing over the wire insulation so you can read the color code, you can suss this out pretty quickly.

It's a matter of knowing the major color comes first, and the stripe comes second, and what the abbreviations are. wht, blk, or, bl, gr, gry, etc.
I actually don’t have a factory owners manual. But upon further investigation I have come to the conclusion that the two wires that have crimped prongs on them came out of the right side turn signal connector. I gathered that by watching a video of the TST nexus flush mount signals. Apparently I am missing a weather cover(rubber) along with the connector. So as of now the only wires I am unsure of are the male and female quick butt connectors that remain. The other pronged wires are a gray and black with yellow stripe. That’s the turn signal wires. I’ll do further research along with electrical probing prior to wiring the turn signal on it. I’ll just have to test the voltage once signal is engaged.

Thanks for the response though. Like I mentioned all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So nice to see all the photos particularly the ones of just the frame and engine. Amazing how small it really is.
Honestly I wish I would have had the thought of taking more pictures when I was tearing it down. I was just so anxious to tear it down and get an inventory of what needed to be replaced and what I was missing in general. So yeah I kind of did it rapidly. But yes swingarm, engine and frame alone seems tiny

1 - 19 of 19 Posts