Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few can deny that the Kaw zx6r is an extremely competitive sportbike. That being said, I suggest that any of you considering purchasing this motorcycle keep looking. I have been taken for over $2000 by Kawasaki motorcycles and my local dealer. The 2019 zx6r is advertised at a price of $9999. I paid close to $11K after taxes etc and quickly discovered that this is hardly the perfect sportbike. The market has fallen completely on this new model and now dealers are listing them for under 8K!!!! The model year is only 6 months old and dealers here in AZ are dumping them, if they can, for thousands less than I paid as an honest consumer in March of this year. I will NEVER buy a Kawasaki again and I cannot even get my dealer, or others, to consider a buy bike unless I'm willing to take $6K. What a scam. This is crazy. I have been riding and racing for over 45 years, both road and moto-cross. Being involved in motorcycles and competition is not free, I understand that. But what Kaw has done with this marketing strategy is unforgivable. I now have only 310 miles on my 2019 zx6r and have not had a single offer at $6999. As some might guess, Kawasaki knew exactly what they were doing and by shaving costs, they created a less than perfect machine and the consumer will pay the price.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback from 2019 owners regarding their bike and the throttle hesitation/unpredictability that I have been encountering to a dangerous degree...especially trying to start from a red light with cars coming up behind you. Dealer states that, "they are all like that because of the new emissions". I cannot imagine coming out of a corner at a track day at full lean and not having acceleration when you absolutely need it. Anyone else finding the 1st to 2nd gear full of false neutrals? Dealer states, "It's brand new and needs time to break in".

For those of you who have had great experiences with Kawasaki, I mean no disrespect! Plenty of you have won on this machine. It corners like a scalpel and is wonderfully balanced. I would creamed by this machine at so many track days on my CBR 600rr. Point of fact...I'd take my CBR back anyday. NO mechanicals of any sort in 3 years of track days!!! It held its value and sold immediately.

Best of luck to all of you looking to buy. Reconsider and go look at Yamaha and Honda again.

Me, I'm going back to Honda if I can ever sell this marketing scam from Kawasaki motorcycles.

Ride safe and best to you.

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts
All I'm seeing here is a good opportunity to get a cheap 2019 ZX6R sometime soon :D

The issues you mentioned are very likely because of emission standards. Pretty much all modern sportbikes suck now when they're stock, but nobody keeps them stock. Get an ECU flash and an aftermarket exhaust and you're good to go. The 2019 is not much different than the previous gen. Same frame, engine, and many other parts. Kawasaki did great for lower the price, and Kawasakis have always depreciated a bit more than other brands on the used market. I've seen people selling 2016-2017 ZX10Rs in great shape for like $9500-11000.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Flash the ECU to remove restrictions and disable the fuel decel cut. If it still bothers you get a fuel management unit you're good. What you're describing is not a Kawasaki problem as most new bikes have bad fueling in the bottom rpm range, especially Yamaha. Thank the EU emission regulations for that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You didn’t get killed man on your deal with respect to you considering selling it now. You paid 11k out the door. Minus taxes and fees, your base price sounds like it was under 10k. My fees were huge FYI. If a dealer is going to buy your used bike now it has to sell it at a price that will yield an appropriate profit with respect to what a new bike goes for. Someone interested in buying your used bike from a dealer isn’t probably going to pay a base price of 9k when a new one with no discount is 10k. That’s why you’re getting offered 6k. If you really want to get rid of the bike, sell it privately and you’ll get more. But realize, selling any vehicle soon after it was bought is going to have a terrible depreciation if it goes back to a dealer.

Just saying bro!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Almost sounds like TC is kicking in, unless your talking about the on-off throttle that has been like since the 2013 zx6r 636 as with other bikes, it is to do with emissions and the fuel decel cut.

The false neutrals are a worry, however i had similar issues with my 2016 ZX-6R 636 when new till first oil change. Only false neutrals i get now is when I am to soft on the gear lever when using quickshifter at full throttle.

After the ECU flash that on off throttle was gone.

Cost/price wise and such I cannot comment.

It a shame you have had a bad experience with your bike, I do hope you do get a decent price when sold.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Flash ................ $175-$300 depending on who you have do it

adjust the shifter to fit your foot better and good likelyhood the shifting issues disappear too................. 0$...... and change the oil/filter $40

but hey if you would rather just bitch about the bike than spend the miniscual amount of time and monies to fix it, that is on you

I get "new" bikes in all the time that are at worst..........damn near unrideable as they arrive, at best- they suck to drive as they arrive......... that is the byproduct of all the emmisions and electronic bullshit era...... it isn't a kawi issue it is an every god damn bike made issue

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
You sound like a little kid crying because you knocked over the milk. Seriously?

And you bought a Sportbike not knowing they have insane depreciation right out of the gate?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
This is helpful. Thanks for taking the time to make an educated and polite reply!
If you want educated replies, make an educated post. You think talking shit about a bike that we all enjoy is going to be well received? Especially since your grievances are fantasy?

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
When you see companies marking down their newest gen products to values below the preceding year's left overs...... things are in the process of going seriously sideways in the market.

Haven't seen this since the 1980's, when the Japanese mfgs churned out 10's of thousands of bikes expecting the market to pick back up. It was probably close to 8 years, before the glut was consumed. When you see changes that amount to bold new graphics year after year, and no improvements in perfomance, it's tougher to convince people to buy new. Perceived value decreases.

Adding cheap mods -- in this case additional electronic features which require no additional hardware save for a sensor or two, is a whole 'nuther inexpensive way to make incremental 'improvements' in performance. Capital outlay is minor.... no new tooling, just different code.

The last performance increase was the bump BACK to 636, after what, 6 years 'away'? Is the bike lighter? Is it faster? You could argue it's easier to stop harder with less risk of dropping the bike, spinning out, highsiding, etc. The actual engine performance is not significantly better, especially with the Euro 4 mandated emissions requirements. Can you say lean, all over? 3 way catalytic converters cost more than single material versions do, yet the bike costs less overall. Interesting. Where did the cuts come from? Labor? Raw material? Neither seems very likely. Why is the '19 less expensive? Has the Yen/Dollar changed significantly?

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Buying any new vehicle = depreciation as soon as you take it from the dealer. I bought mine new and have no complaints. I have bought all my vehicles new and run them into the ground knowing full well I got my money's worth.

All the things you're complaining about can be easily addressed. ECU flash and fueling module. Also, there is absolutely nothing dangerous about the traction control kicking in when you're at an intersection unless you're trying to launch the bike. If you don't want the TC kicking in just disable it.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
When you see companies marking down their newest gen products to values below the preceding year's left overs...... things are in the process of going seriously sideways in the market.

Haven't seen this since the 1980's, when the Japanese mfgs churned out 10's of thousands of bikes expecting the market to pick back up. It was probably close to 8 years, before the glut was consumed. When you see changes that amount to bold new graphics year after year, and no improvements in perfomance, it's tougher to convince people to buy new. Perceived value decreases.

Adding cheap mods -- in this case additional electronic features which require no additional hardware save for a sensor or two, is a whole 'nuther inexpensive way to make incremental 'improvements' in performance. Capital outlay is minor.... no new tooling, just different code.

The last performance increase was the bump BACK to 636, after what, 6 years 'away'? Is the bike lighter? Is it faster? You could argue it's easier to stop harder with less risk of dropping the bike, spinning out, highsiding, etc. The actual engine performance is not significantly better, especially with the Euro 4 mandated emissions requirements. Can you say lean, all over? 3 way catalytic converters cost more than single material versions do, yet the bike costs less overall. Interesting. Where did the cuts come from? Labor? Raw material? Neither seems very likely. Why is the '19 less expensive? Has the Yen/Dollar changed significantly?
Well you figure they haven’t spent much on R&D on the model in a long time so they can reduce the margin due to that

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Well you figure they haven’t spent much on R&D on the model in a long time so they can reduce the margin due to that
It's a sign of either technological maturity, or a self fulfilling prophecy..... Why is there no longer competition at 750cc? Suzuki dominated that class in the 90's when they went ultra light relative to every other brand..... Why didn't the rest of the market pursue them down that path? I suspect a gentleman's agreement, to allow Suzuki motorcycles to survive. Honda or Yamaha could have crushed them at the time because both were much more diversified. Yet they didn't. Why?:O I expect keeping Japanese labor employed had quite a lot to do with that.:roll:Yet somehow all the mfgs can build competitive liter bikes? :dowhat

600 class machines eventually reached similar levels of outright performance to that 750 benchmark, after a number of bumps and missteps. Liter bikes have followed suit, increasing in power, etc.....yet there is effectively zero 750cc competition. Why?

All of the major motorcycle mfgs are relatively small divisions of much larger corporations, now. Subsidized by sales of mowers, watercraft, generators, cars, heavy industrial equipment... It has stifled competition. Big corporations like consistency. High volume mfg relies on repeatability to cut costs through process improvement and reductions in labor and material costs. Can't get there if the whole production line gets rendered obsolete before it wears out.

We see parity in 600s. Yamaha has been making the same R6, for how many years? Honda? Suzuki? And of course Kawasaki. Same engine, frame, wheels, swingarm, clip ons, exhaust, airbox, fuel tank, seat...... Same weight, performance parity --- the motorcycles for the masses. Change the color, add bold new graphics, leave everything else alone.

Honda has been selling the much more practical 500 and 650 twin cylinder designs that will eventually replace the four cylinder machines we are consuming now. Kawasaki has similar products. Yamaha has developed triples of similar performance. Bigger cylinders are more efficient at completely burning the fuel charge...:nerd

All the r&d budget has been going there, for quite some time. 'Environmentally friendly ' is the buzz word....:rant. They'll service the demand, and wait for interest to drop until they can justify shutting the mfg of 600s down in favor of those twins and triples.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had a 09 CBR600 that was kind of surgey around town, probably due to lean settings for emissions. I feel my 2013 636 fuels much better than that bike did. This is stock for stock. Would like to ride the 19 and see how it feels.

·
Registered
75 Posts
First mistake; Never buy brand new! Away goes 30% of it's market value as soon as you drive it off the lot! Mistake #2 Should have bought an '06 636. 😉

·
Registered
575 Posts
First mistake; Never buy brand new! Away goes 30% of it's market value as soon as you drive it off the lot! Mistake #2 Should have bought an '06 636. 😉
I've always said this, and you can ALWAYS save money buying an already built race bike...but there's something to be said about buying something brand new and not a pile of someone elses hammered shit that you're left to fix before you say it's ready to race.

One day, I'll buy something brand new...one day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm All In

So I'm all in on the 2019, bought one for track use (first outing was ok, barely run in so not going crazy) and then traded my old ZX6R (04) for another 2019 for street use (ride the same bike all the time - stop swapping from sport to pseudo dirt (Super Duke) to commute (FZ6)).

Obviously one of them will get all the track bits (Fairing, Rearsets, Exhaust...) and the other will not, so it will be interesting to see how they diverge.

I accept the depreciation hit as I stick the new bike on the back of the truck, but I tend to keep them for many years (these are my first new bikes in 12 years). One thing my dealer said when I tried to trade in the 04 was that the price on that was depressed (could be dealer speak who knows) because the finance companies would not deal with anything before 08, so even if your bike is clean and would make a perfect starter or commute for a young kid they are not going to get finance for it. So there is clearly a sweet spot (as yet to be calculated in my head at least) between buying new and trading on.

Just my Tuppence Happeny

MikeC.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts