Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Rea keep his winning streak? Is it possible that Bautista, on the new Ducati V4, will be a challenge to for the championship?

We will see this year.

New this year: Staruday Race 1. Sunday Sprint (Race 2). Sunday Race 3.

STK1000 has been eliminated.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Wondering how this new sprint race thing will work out. I'm all for more racing, but more racing will present more opportunity for crashing/technical problems and might present an interesting dynamic for race 3 and the season as a whole.

Looking forward to seeing how the Duc V4 will perform. Moto journalists were heaping praise on it all summer, but rarely has the new production hotness been all that impressive once the grid forms up at the world racing level.

·
Director of Moderation
9,940 Posts
My money is on Ducati this year. They are long due for a WSBK championship. I still think Rea will be the best rider in the paddock, but I'm banking on the new Ducati being that much better of a bike that Davies or Bautista will be able to beat Rea.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Director of Moderation
9,940 Posts
Honda Announces Its 2019 World Superbike Plans With Althea Racing And Moriwaki Engineering And Without Ten Kate

• In the FIM (*2) Road Racing World Championship Series MotoGP class, five-time champion and 2018 winner Marc Marquez will be joined by Jorge Lorenzo to race for Repsol Honda Team.
  • In the FIM Superbike World Championship Series, HRC will support the team operated by Althea Racing and Moriwaki Engineering with Leon Camier and Ryuichi Kiyonari as their riders.
Kiyonari?? Seriously? This guy's still racing? lol...last time I saw him was in BSB a few years ago, but been out of the game since about 2014-2015. How old is he?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kiyonari?? Seriously? This guy's still racing? lol...last time I saw him was in BSB a few years ago, but been out of the game since about 2014-2015. How old is he?
If I remember correctly he almost took the title but had a huge high side in the rain. It's been a while.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rea will still win it, Davies will be second to Bautista, Sykes will win the sprint race, providing its one lap:wink

Rob

·
Director of Moderation
9,940 Posts
So Davies is saying they worked on ergonomics mostly and he hasn't pushed it all that hard, yet his best time was within 0.1 of his best times in both races this year where he got 2nd and 1st respectively. This looks promising! Once he's more comfortable on it and is actually racing it, he should be even faster. He just needs to work on his consistency and finish the races. Then Rea will actually have someone to challenge him.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aragon WorldSBK Test - Wednesday Results

1. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing Team 1m 49.668 72 laps

2. Alex Lowes GBR Pata Yamaha 1m 51.157 76 laps

3. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing – Ducati 1m 51.180 61 laps

4. Leon Haslam GBR Kawasaki Racing Team 1m 51.479 67 laps

5. Michael Ruben Rinaldi ITA BARNI Racing Team 1m 51.656 74 laps

6. Michael van der Mark NED Pata Yamaha 1m 51.852 72 laps

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lets go Bautista!

World Superbike: Jonathan Rea, Alvaro Bautista Top The Order On Day One Of Testing At Jerez

Jerez Day One Unofficial Times:

1. Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK) 1.39.657

2. Alvaro Bautista (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati) 1.39.979 +0.322

3. Chaz Davies (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati) 1.40.202 +0.545

4. Alex Lowes (Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team) 1.40.296 +0.639

5. Leon Haslam (Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK) 1.40.390 +0.733

6. Marco Melandri (GRT Yamaha Team) 1.40.663 +1.006

7. Michael van der Mark (Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team) 1.41.572 +1.915

8. Sandro Cortese (GRT Yamaha Team) 1.41.972 +2.315

·
Director of Moderation
9,940 Posts
That's pretty impressive. First time riding the bike and already only 0.3 seconds behind Rea, and in 2nd overall. What's funny is that his best lap in the race this year at Jerez in MotoGP was 1:39.839 lol...only a tenth slower on the Panigale on his first day riding that bike lol His qualifying time in that GP race was 1:38.838 so just a second difference.

I think Bautista is gonna be a contender next year as long as he doesn't throw it down the track much. Rea has shown that not only is he really fast, he's also the most consistent guy on the grid throughout the whole season. He rarely crashes and rarely makes mistakes. Bautista can't afford to have more than like 2 DNF's in the whole year even if he's fast enough to win races and get podiums.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Debutant Bautista riding Ducati World Superbike "like a 250cc"

“It is very different to the MotoGP bike. First of all, the bike has less power, on the straights and I thought something was wrong! No, it was the engine which is like that,” Bautista said. “The stability is much less. This morning I did my first exit with the rain tyre because the track had some wet patches I did one lap and had to change the tyres because it was impossible. It was like pudding on the track.

“Then with the slick it didn’t change a lot, I moved a lot still, so I have to adapt myself to this movement because it is normal with this bikes and these tyres.

“The character is similar just with less power. This bike, you have to ride it more like a 250cc, more speed in the corner and less aggressive with the gas because otherwise if you are aggressive like in MotoGP then the bike starts to move a lot and it never stops so you have to be very careful with the gas in order to make the bike stable. It is a bit different but I enjoyed it because it reminded me of the 250cc but with more power.

“I have to change a little bit. When you ride more and more you feel like you have to ride like that so it is not very difficult to change my riding style. Especially because in 250cc I was fast so for me it is quite easy to adapt my style in that way.”

·
Director of Moderation
9,940 Posts
Man, I just realized how confused I've been about Ten Kate all these years. It always confused me that commentators kept saying it's a Dutch team, but I always that that was a big Japanese composites manufacturer. I saw them at a trade show once. Now I see this, and I'm like "how can a company that big file bankruptcy? Their racing team is pocket change compared to their whole business."....until now that I googled it. That's TenCate with a C, not a K! lol That one letter made all the difference! lol

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
World Superbike: Details Of New Three-Race Events Announced

2019 will see World Superbike Championship change from four to three free practice sessions, meaning Friday will revert back to two WorldSBK Free Practices. WorldSSP on track action will remain the same, whilst WorldSSP300 will be split into two groups with two free practice sessions for each group. The final times from Friday’s sessions won’t affect qualifying positions.

Saturday offers a big change in the format as the Tissot Superpole will now become one single Qualifying session for all classes. The final results of the WorldSBK Tissot Superpole will decide the grid for WorldSBK Race One and Sunday´s Sprint Race, now branded as the Tissot Superpole Race. For the World Supersport 300 Championship, the riders not qualifying for their first race will also have a ‘Last Chance’ race to follow on from Qualifying. The top six finishers of this race will secure the final six places on Sunday’s grid.

Four races will be the treat on offer on Sunday, with two WorldSBK Races. The first SBK® race of the day will be an all new Sprint Race format of 10 laps (throughout duration of the season) where points will be added to the overall championship standings* and awarded in the Tissot Superpole Race as follows: 12/9/7/6/5/4/3/2/1. There will be no change for Race One and Two where point system remains unchanged and awarded to the first fifteen riders as followed: 25/20/16/13/11/10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1.

The second race on Sunday for WorldSBK will be the traditional format. The grid for this race will be determined from the first nine positions in the Tissot Superpole Race, and the grid from 10th onwards will be the positions from Tissot Superpole. Offering three races with different formats will give the teams opportunities to work on different strategies for each race throughout the weekend and will offer even more exciting races for fans and riders to enjoy. On top of this, the weekend will finish with the WorldSSP300 race, which is always a sensational fight to the finish line.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca to Host MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship, July 12-14

MONTEREY, Calif., December 19, 2018 —The County of Monterey and Dorna WSBK Organization today announced the ninth round of the MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship will return to Monterey County’s WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca July 12-14.

Round nine of the championship will be directly following the UK World Superbike Round at Donington Park, and will be a perfect way to see the series head into the summer break.

Laguna Seca has hosted World Superbike since 1995—with a small gap from 2004-2013—and is a well-known staple on the calendar. An ever popular round for fans, riders and teams, it has seen 15 different race winners over the years, but it has been Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK) who has made his mark over the past two seasons, winning the last three races around the undulating 2.238-mile track.

MotoAmerica will return with its full series lineup to complement the racing weekend, which thrusts the Monterey Peninsula onto the international stage as visitors from around the world will descend on the scenic central coast to enjoy the racing and lifestyle experience.

Fans will also be able to experience the Paddock Show hosted by Michael Hill where fans can experience non-stop racing commentary, rider interviews, giveaways and so much more.

VIP hospitality packages, single- and multi-day tickets for Superbike World Championship will go on sale January 9. Tickets are currently on sale for the full 2019 calendar of major racing events and are available by calling +1-831-242-8200 or at www.WeatherTechRaceway.com.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts