Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put 800 miles on my 2019 ZX6R trying to quick shift and it would only work part of the time and never consistently.

Long story short, I finally read the manual and realized I needed to turn on the KQS kawasaki quick shifter mode. I just assumed it was a feature that was always there in the background if needed (only a mechanical thing).

My question is, how much damage, if any, have I done to the clutch when quick shifting without the mode enabled? I wasn't doing it all the time because it was frustrating but every now and again.

Once the KQS mode was on, it was an incredible feeling. It is so much fun keeping on the throttle while shifting. It never loses momentum. Very happy now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Unless you're grinding/banging gears, your tranny/clutch is fine. Rule of thumb, no QS = put a bit of pressure on the shift lever and roll off throttle, it will shift. Doing this is essentially the same thing as a QS, all the QS does it cut IGNition briefly just like when you let off the throttle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my 2019 over the weekend and I feel dumb but I cant figure out how to turn the kqs mode on. I've looked through the manual but it only talks about the power modes and traction control. Help! Lol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Look at page 106 of your owner's manual. You have to push and hold the "SEL" button for 2+ seconds - the KQS should come on/off on releasing the button.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw the new zx25r has a QS for Up&Down, will this work on on 2019 models?
ZX6R has a cable operated throttle, not ride by wire. So if it's true that the zx25r will have an auto blipper for downshifting, you wouldn't be able to retrofit your bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
oh, i thought that the auto bliper is controled by the QS or the ECU.. I saw the zx25r in person and it has a ride by wire and a autoblipper... guess i will just need to replace the stock QS with a brand that has auto blipper

·
Registered
14 Posts
zx6r is not ride by wire, so the process to add an auto blipper is much more complicated and expensive. There is a company out of UK called Pro Shift that makes downshift blipping kits for cable throttle bikes like the zx6r, but the cost is 1000€ and it's not a simple plug and play kit. I've looked into it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi again, just a thought. can we replace the shift lever on our 19 model, and replacing it with the shift lever of the Ninja 400. i saw the shift lever on the N400 and it inverted like the wood craft gp shift... will it work? let me know your thoughts! thanks!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hi again, just a thought. can we replace the shift lever on our 19 model, and replacing it with the shift lever of the Ninja 400. i saw the shift lever on the N400 and it inverted like the wood craft gp shift... will it work? let me know your thoughts! thanks!
No idea. Can’t you just flip the clevis 180 degrees on the shaft to get gp shift, or is there not enough clearance between the rod and the frame? Doing this would also probably warrant a ecu flash as the strain gauge probably only works in one direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
No idea. Can’t you just flip the clevis 180 degrees on the shaft to get gp shift, or is there not enough clearance between the rod and the frame? Doing this would also probably warrant a ecu flash as the strain gauge probably only works in one direction.

you can flip the clevis, it will make it GO Shift but the QS will not work

·
Registered
36 Posts

The left pic is a N400 Stock Shift lever, the Right one is the ZX6R Stock Shift Lever... Can i Install the Stock N400 Shift Lever on the 636?

·
Registered
601 Posts
View attachment 107913

The left pic is a N400 Stock Shift lever, the Right one is the ZX6R Stock Shift Lever... Can i Install the Stock N400 Shift Lever on the 636?
They appear to have the same style of pivot but it looks like you would have an interference issue. I think the lever on the 400 is steel so If you can weld, you could probably cut it down and weld it to fit correctly. @sbk1198 ; might be able to confirm if the pivots are the same and if the shift lever on the 400 is steel as he has both bikes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hopefully it fits, if this will fit this would be a lot cheaper rathar than buying the woodcraft gp shifter, just to make the QS working on a GP shift

1 - 19 of 19 Posts