Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I should have specified that I mean representation in the 600's field. lol. Too bad Braeden Ortt crashed out.

The SS and Superbike races were highly entertaining. Now we Have Elias leading the championship :D. JD Beach did a great job scoring a podium in the first race.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
All podium stock 1000 finishers were on Kawis.

MotoAmerica Stock 1000: Race Results From Road Atlanta

Stock 1000 Race Results (all on Dunlop tires):

1. Andrew Lee (Kaw ZX-10R), 13 laps, Total Race Time 19:06.389, Best Lap Time 1:27.508

2. Michael Gilbert (Kaw ZX-10R), -0.130 second, 1:27.636

3. Stefano Mesa (Kaw ZX-10R), -5.014 seconds, 1:27.650

·
Director of Moderation
10,032 Posts
Was able to watch the qualifying sessions. The twins grid has a great amount of entries this year.

Great that we have representation in the field now :n6zlove
Nice to see a Ducati (the only one) winning in the Twins class though. Barnes showing you can still win when you're 50 years old.

All podium stock 1000 finishers were on Kawis.

MotoAmerica Stock 1000: Race Results From Road Atlanta

Stock 1000 Race Results (all on Dunlop tires):

1. Andrew Lee (Kaw ZX-10R), 13 laps, Total Race Time 19:06.389, Best Lap Time 1:27.508

2. Michael Gilbert (Kaw ZX-10R), -0.130 second, 1:27.636

3. Stefano Mesa (Kaw ZX-10R), -5.014 seconds, 1:27.650

Stefano Mesa is an impressively fast dude. I've seen him at almost all the CCS events I've been to last year and he wins pretty much every race. Glad to see him in MotoAmerica with more competition. Looks like he had the same pace as the top guys just couldn't quite keep it up for the whole race.

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
MotoAmerica: Interview With Quarterley Racing's Michael Barnes

It would be hard to imagine a rider with more experience getting on unknown racebikes and going fast than Michael Barnes. Having ridden 15 brands of motorcycles on 33 different teams in his career, he is the acknowledged expert at getting up to speed quickly. His talent brought him the win in the 2016 Daytona 200.

So when a last-minute collaboration between Moto Corse Performance and Quarterley Racing On Track Development came together that would see a Ducati Monster 797 on the MotoAmerica Twins Class at Road Atlanta, Michael got the call. He rewarded the team by winning both races.

When was the last time you rode a racebike?

Barnes: It was the Daytona 200 last year. It ended in a DNF

How did this ride come together?

Barnes: Chris Boy from Moto Corse Performance contacted me three weeks before the race. We did a track day at Homestead and the bike felt good, but we didn’t know how competitive it was until we got to Atlanta. I like twins because twins have instant response power -wise. We looked at the lap times for that class from Homestead and we knew we had a platform.

Has there been a lot of development in the motor?

Barnes: The spec fuel limits us as far as pistons and other internal engine components go. The motor is relatively stock except for some head work.

Did you make a lot of adjustments to the bike when you got to Road Atlanta?

Barnes: The suspension didn’t even move at first. We softened it up for the wet sessions on Friday and made one last change for the Sunday race. It was mostly on the compression setting for bumps.

How did you like riding the bike?

Barnes: The bike is a lot of fun. By race time it was set up superbly. I’ve seen a lot of Moto Corse’s work over the years and I was really pleased to work with them for the first time.

Did you know you had a competitive machine for Road Atlanta right from the first practice?

Barnes: I knew we had something competitive at Homestead, but wet sessions like the first one at Road Atlanta throw things off. Somme guys are faster in wet than they are in the dry. We never really thought we had it in the bag. Chris Parrish and Curtis Murray are really fast guys and they have a lot of experience in the class. When we got the proper gearing on the bike,though, we were pretty confident.

Are there plans to continue racing in the Twins Class this year?

Barnes: We’re going to VIR, that’s determined already. I really enjoy working with Dale Quarterley and his team. Dale and I have known each other since my first year of racing. Dale and his team co-owner Bob Robbins are excited to take this further.

Were you planning on racing this year before you got the call?

Barnes: I had no intention of racing a full season, but the Twins Class is easier to jump into and not feel like I was in over my head. I haven’t been training the way I normally would if I had planned to race this year.

Is there anyone in particular that you would like to thank after winning both races?

Barnes: Anne Roberts for taking care of all the logistics and my new sponsor, 6D Helmets.

From Quarterley Racing:

Some questions came up about a rider development team having a 30 year veteran in the saddle for the Twins race. A late series of events led to getting the Ducati homologated for the class, and after some inquiries from potential riders we felt the bike needed some development prior to committing to a rider to run the series. What better guy than Michael Barnes to give a true assessment of the bike in short order. Winning both races by a comfortable margin was certainly a stamp of approval for the bike as built, and we now can feel good about interested riders inquiring about the same set up. The project was a joint venture between Moto Corse Performance and Quarterley racing born out of a plan to provide a future stepping stone from the Junior Cup for our young riders before trying to tame a 600 at the pro level. Michael did a great job for us and we made plans for him to ride the bike again at VIR. Beyond that, we will see where it goes regarding a season long championship chase.

Quarterley Racing On Track Development sponsors for 2019 include Inter-Tech Supplies, Fast By Ferracci Racing, Yoshimura R&D, Wiseco Performance Products, Motul USA Inc., Regina Chain, BrakeTech, Ferodo Racing, Matt & Jesse, Scott Powersports, Defiance Lifestyle Clothing, Woodcraft-CFM, Dynojet Research, Beta Tools, Roadracing World, Drippin’ Wet Graphics, Moto-D Racing, Fast Bike Industries, Van Dyk Recycling Solutions, Earl’s Racing Team and Kiwi Classic Moto

And proudly acknowledging Ducati North America in support of our Twins class program

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Dayumm!!! Just saw the race. That was an EXCELLENT race! MotoAmerica is officially better than WSBK. What a fight to the end. Well deserved by Elias.

·
Director of Moderation
10,032 Posts
Dayumm!!! Just saw the race. That was an EXCELLENT race! MotoAmerica is officially better than WSBK. What a fight to the end. Well deserved by Elias.
Great race, but IDK about that lol...did you see the 2nd WSBK race? That was a really good one, although not all the way to the end.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Congrats to Josh Herrin. Things are getting better and better in the series. Just waiting for Kyle Wyman to sort out the Duc.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
MotoAmerica: Justin Filice To Ride For RBoM Racing In Twins Cup At VIR

California native Justin Filice has secured sponsorship support from American publisher Pilar Publishing to contest next weekend's MotoAmerica Twins Cup round at VIRginia International Raceway (VIR) on an RBoM Racing Suzuki SV650.

Filice last rode an RBoM Racing-prepped Suzuki SV650 at the 2018 season finale, held at Alabama's Barber Motorsports Park, and finished in 4th place out of a stout field of 30 entries.

As the May 4-5 VIR weekend quickly approaches, an unprecedented 43 Twins Cup entrants will vie for the MotoAmerica-regulated 36 maximum available grid spots. The new 2-day MotoAmerica format will make it's debut at VIR and track time will be at a premium for the Twins Cup competitors. With only one practice session Saturday afternoon and one qualifying session on Sunday morning, Twins Cup competitors will have to be on their "A" game to ensure they qualify for Sunday afternoon's 4pm race.

North Carolina-based RBoM Racing considers VIR to be the team's home track, so the new 2-day format should work to their advantage. Justin Filice will join RBoM Racing competitors Curtis Murray, Chris Bays, Tyler Freeman, Gillis Glidewell, and youngster Austin Miller as the team goes on an impromptu "duc-hunting" expedition near Danville, VA on Sunday May 5th.

·
Director of Moderation
10,032 Posts
No idea who that is, but 43 entries??! Damn!!! That's awesome for the series. Although looks like they're capping it at 36. Probably a good thing for the sake of safety.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
No idea who that is, but 43 entries??! Damn!!! That's awesome for the series. Although looks like they're capping it at 36. Probably a good thing for the sake of safety.
I agree. It's great news for American Racing. Gotta put it back on the map.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
MotoAmerica: Justin Filice To Ride For RBoM Racing In Twins Cup At VIR

California native Justin Filice has secured sponsorship support from American publisher Pilar Publishing to contest next weekend's MotoAmerica Twins Cup round at VIRginia International Raceway (VIR) on an RBoM Racing Suzuki SV650.

Filice last rode an RBoM Racing-prepped Suzuki SV650 at the 2018 season finale, held at Alabama's Barber Motorsports Park, and finished in 4th place out of a stout field of 30 entries.

As the May 4-5 VIR weekend quickly approaches, an unprecedented 43 Twins Cup entrants will vie for the MotoAmerica-regulated 36 maximum available grid spots. The new 2-day MotoAmerica format will make it's debut at VIR and track time will be at a premium for the Twins Cup competitors. With only one practice session Saturday afternoon and one qualifying session on Sunday morning, Twins Cup competitors will have to be on their "A" game to ensure they qualify for Sunday afternoon's 4pm race.

North Carolina-based RBoM Racing considers VIR to be the team's home track, so the new 2-day format should work to their advantage. Justin Filice will join RBoM Racing competitors Curtis Murray, Chris Bays, Tyler Freeman, Gillis Glidewell, and youngster Austin Miller as the team goes on an impromptu "duc-hunting" expedition near Danville, VA on Sunday May 5th.
Back when I was just a boy watching guys like Eddie Lawson and Mike Baldwin beat up on guys with the names like Rainey and Roberts.,.. there was this dude. Jimmy Felice. One of the most underrated riders out there. ... but still in the AMA Hall of Fame. :D

Justin is Jim's son.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
MotoAmerica: Quarterley Racing On Track Development Issues Statement Regarding Illegal Parts Ruling It Received At Road Atlanta

The parts deemed illegal are brackets that attach the rearsets to the main frame. As a background to our decision to change those which by our interpretation of the rulebook was not in violation, we ended up in a foggy area at best. The OEM bracket bolts to the frame and is made from steel. It also supports the swing arm by its design. With stock rearsets having folding foot pegs, the chance of the steel bracket getting bent on a road bike is far less and would likely end your day anyway. Once you attach a rigid mounted foot peg it becomes a weak point from the added leverage on the mounting ears of the bracket that attach the rearset. The result is the bracket ears get twisted into the swing arm and depending on how hard of a hit it takes, may damage the swing arm as well. We designed a thicker aluminum bracket that would replace the stock one in the interest of being able to change the rearset quickly in a crash situation during practice or qualifying to not lose the session. There is no possible way for this bracket to offer anything as a performance enhancement. Speculation may have been that it would stiffen the swing arm, etc, but replacing a steel fixed tube welded to the OEM bracket for the swing arm with a 6061 Aluminum one cannot do anything better and is probably weaker overall. The swing arm is supported by more than the bracket described.

Where Moto America/ FIM deemed it to be illegal was in considering it part of the frame. Our choice to make them was based on wording in the rulebook that brackets must attach to original mounting points on the frame. If a replacement frame is looked up in the factory manual for purchase, it does not include the brackets we replaced. However, they are in the frame grouping of parts, so in the end it was the decision of Moto America to consider it part of the frame.

Stock bracket

Custom bracket used by Quarterley Racing

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
So who's winning this weekend? Elias has been doing great since last years tire change issue was sorted out.

81 - 100 of 138 Posts