Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

2019 636 upgrades

7K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Aidan Holmes 
#1 ·
Hello all. New to the ninja scene. Last sport bike I had was a 2005 Honda cbr600rr. Holy shit. This thing is a freakin space ship compared to the ‘05. Anyway, looking for some basic upgrades to this this. Anyone know of some good frame sliders, fender eliminator kits and a double bubble for this thing?

#4 ·
:worthless

Fuentes2807, Hello, welcome to the Forum. I'm sure I speak for most by saying we are glad you dropped by. There is quite a lot of Ninja Mind Trust here. When asking Qs it's always welcome if you include photos. Avoids confusion, and every body wants to see your new pride-n-joy.

Quite honestly, you might be pulling the trigger a wee bit early, since the '19 is a 'new model.' Though, much like the '13 is really more of a re-skin of the '09, the '19 is not overly different from the '18, sans ABS plastics. The chassis is largely the same, as is the motor. Note: I did not say that they are the same.

Whilst I went with a MotoDynamics for both the integrated rear/stop/turn combo lights; I also love my MotoDynamics Tail tidy, several of us use them, and I've not heard a negative word. And plus, it's really easy to install.

https://www.motodynamic.com/fender-eliminator-kit-for-2009-2018-kawasaki-ninja-zx-6r.html

When it comes to a double bubble windscreen I'd advise staying away from Hotbodies - screw holes rarely align correctly. My 1st would be Zero Gravity, followed by Puig.

And frame sliders, DJ nailed it, go with Woodcraft, you absolutely cannot do better. Eric Wood is an engineer, and has been a Nationally ranked racer. He knows his sh!+. I love his products so well, that I have his fork siders, and bar end sliders as well as the frame sliders. Plus I use a couple of his engine case covers. And no, he does not sponsor me, as I am way too old to be of any good to any sponsor.

If your chomping at the bit for doing mods, I know, I could barely wait to tear perfectly usable items off a perfectly functioning brand new bike. Maybe take a look at tossing those nasty rubber brake line junk and go with new F & R braided lines. Several of us have gone with Core, good product, favourable price. But Spiegler make a great product, too.

Many of us have performed an embarrassing level of mods to our beloved Ninjas, and I'm as bad or worse than most. We all have our vices. So, fear not about lobbing out Qs. Just remember the photos.

:worthless

#3 ·
I went with TST Industries for my integrated taillight, fender eliminator, and license plate light. Couldn't be happier, looks awesome, and their installation videos are the best I've seen. I also purchased their LED flasher relay so I wouldn't have to splice into any of the wires (though the resistors and everything are included with the integrated taillight).

#5 ·
Thank you all!

Gents,

Badass recommendations. Thank you. I'm definitely going to look into all these upgrades. All of em, to include the brake lines. You guys rock! Only other mod I really plan on doing real soon would be a slip on. Any recommendations for that? I've been looking at Two Brothers, carbon fiber...also I attached a few pics of the new beauty. They literally had to pull her out of the crate and assemble her when I got there. Tried to sell me a grey one already on the floor but I had my heart set on the black one. Got it with 2 miles on the odometer. Talk about a fresh bike! Just have to break her in now...

Attachments

#6 ·
Gents,

Badass recommendations. Thank you. I'm definitely going to look into all these upgrades. All of em, to include the brake lines. You guys rock! Only other mod I really plan on doing real soon would be a slip on. Any recommendations for that? I've been looking at Two Brothers, carbon fiber...also I attached a few pics of the new beauty. They literally had to pull her out of the crate and assemble her when I got there. Tried to sell me a grey one already on the floor but I had my heart set on the black one. Got it with 2 miles on the odometer. Talk about a fresh bike! Just have to break her in now...

Congrats man, that is a beautiful bike. I for one love the new look...very sharp.

Please look at other exhausts before you decide to buy TwoBros. There are many other better quality alternatives,
Priced similarly, that will make your bike love you more....I promise. Leo Vince, Akrapovic, Yoshimura, Hindle, Arrow, SC Project, etc...all more respectable IMO than the TwoBros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Two Brothers is what you buy when you don't know any better.

I use LSL sliders and really like them. I think they blend well with the bike.

I made my own fender eliminator from a piece of aluminum angle and an existing part from the factory tail/fender.

I wouldn't do anything else to it for a while. If you like the carbon look check out Graves or M4 over 2Bros. AHHH-I see someone linked it above.

Reactions: ZedExMuse
#12 ·
I had a two bros for up to about 18k. Then I wanted rearsets. Rest assured most rearsets wont work with shorty exhausts.

The only shorty/rear set combo I know of working it the M4 GP SlipOn (Loud AF) with Attack or Vortex rearsets.

Me personally, I would recommend Hindle. Best bang for your buck hands down and you find that pipe sprinkled in MotoAmerica.

Manufacturered in Canada and sold in the US by Woodcraft and many other vendors. Solid quality too. Easy to put on. Zero complaints.

#15 ·
Fuentes2807,

Definitely go with some nice rearsets, I'm using an Italian brand, Rizoma. Dead sexy, and I've used them on my last three race bikes and they can take the abuse. Go with a top shelf exhaust maker, you might spend a bit more, but it's cheaper in the long run.

Why dump the OEM foot rest? Because they fold. You want rigid, solid mounted pegs. Why? It's not always a perfect world, and bad sh!+ happens to good people. Solid pegs will usually perform a very useful service if/when you drop the new love. And your thigh & calf are pinned between your Love & terra firma. The OEMs would pin you more severely. Thus, more of your Precious would be contacting terma firma, and not in a good way.

Besides if Precious contacts the R-side with Mother Earth, the rigid peg quite often is just that oh-so critical difference in keeping you new-ish pipe from whacking the ground.

Your money, your choices.

#17 ·
Also, should you decide to not go with a shorty, if and you decide to go with a slip-on, you'ii also need a mid-pipe. That is, if you're also going to sh!+-can the poxy collector.

I went this from a Barcelona, Spain company, Ixil. The quality is very good. It looks good for what it is: a tube of metal.

https://www.ixilusa.com/ixil-decat-race-pipe-kawasaki-zx-6-r-zx600r-2009-2013/#.XDowrVxKg2w

And they do have a US importer - the link above is with them, and (drum role, please) note the price. If you really want to become a True Believer, check out Akrapovic's link pipe, true it has a tang on it:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/akrapovic-linkage-pipe-kawasaki-zx6r-zx636-2009-2016

I'll wait while you catch your breath. I'll even do the math while you stop gasping. That little piece of metal will cost you a grand total of: $147.62. Now I am in no way slagging Akra., as I've noted elsewhere, I ran a full titanium system on a YZF R1 race bike. And it was awesome! But most (all) slip-on buyers are going that route because they don't need that nth degree of performance. They aren't searching for that extra 0.05 second. They don't want to spend the extra money on an exhaust for a street bike that's going to spend 90+% of its existence on public tarmac. (Yes, I'm fully aware that Laguna Seca is located in a county park.)

So I believe the Ixil is a very viable route. Again, your bike, your money.

#19 ·
Yes, their quality is really, I would easily put in in the same league as Arrow, L.Vinci, Yoshimura. The only exhaust that I've personally have used and that was on my 2nd YZF R1. On that one I went with a titanium Moriwaki Engineering full system. They could teach Graduate level TIG welding.

Moriwaki are the Best Damn Motorcycle exhaust Maker that most here in the US have never heard of. Their products are faultless. If they made an exhaust for the 6R, I would not have even considered any other maker. They are that good!

Mamoru Moriwaki, president of the company has probably had a reason to be driven, OCD, exacting in the quality of his products. His wife, who has a Master's level degree in mechanical engineering just happens to be the daughter of legendary tuner/team owner/and founder of of the company that bears his last name, Hideo "Pops" Yoshimura.

Check out the names of winners/champions they have worked closely with. This URL is from the compny site,Moriwaki Legends, and don't stop with the first page.

MORIWAKIENGINEERING

So just how good are Moriwaki Engineering? Mighty Honda, who has been out of the WSB business for many years has had a change of heart. HRC, the mystical racing arm of Honda, has contracted Moriwaki to take the helm, leaving sometimes OK Ten Katé, the Dutch firm who won a couple of WSB titles with some very fine riders many years ago, but as of late have been floundering quite badly. HRC and Moriwaki have had a long relationship, esp. at the FIM Endurance Championship. They will be starting with their feet in quick sand, but HRC expects Great Things from them, and the cost be damned.

#20 ·
Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I went ahead and ordered the fender eliminator and integrated tail light from tst industries. I was very impressed to see that they had 2019 specific parts already for the 636 AND the lights are all plug and play. Pretty badass. Looks like I will be going with a Yoshi C/F slip on, I like throaty sounds and I def. don't want something obnoxiously loud as some of you have mentioned about the 2 bros. That'll be my next mod. Not sure I need that linkage pipe at the moment though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.