Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

2018 MotoGP Season (Spoilers Inside)

70K views 1K replies 40 participants last post by  Sandman 
#1 ·
As an MM fan, awesome end to 2017. 2018 should be just as exciting! Can't wait.

#2 ·
So who bought the winter pass?

#4 ·
Thought it renews on the 14th...

Anyway, since you already started the 2018 thread, I'm just going to throw in some pre-season predictions out there:

Moto 3: My money's on Jorge Martin. Since some of the other top contenders are moving up, and I have no idea who the new guys are I'm not really sure who else would be a contender. Perhaps Migno or Bulega if they can get their shit together? Perhaps that new Foggia guy? Still, my money's on Martin.

Moto 2: This will be interesting. I'm still hoping Alex Marquez wins it, but as of now I would have to say that Oliveira is top contender. I also see Binder getting a lot of podiums next year. Will be interesting to see how Mir does in his rookie Moto 2 year.

MotoGP: Gotta stick to the one that's shown results and won 4 out of the last 5 seasons, so my money's still on Marquez. But you never know. Guessing Dovi and Lorenzo will give him a run for his money, and of course the Yamaha guys plus Zarco. So basically I think it'll be pretty much the same guys at the front. I'm not expecting any of the new guys like Luthi, Nakagami or Morbidelli to impress much.

#7 ·
I like these predictions.

Moto3: I am right there with you on Martin. Kid is consistently quick. I also like McPhee, Bensnyder, and Antoneli

Moto2: I think anyone NOT on a KTM needs to put in some work in the off season because both Olivera and Binder are gonna be on the podium a lot next year. I almost wish Luthi was still going to be in that series just to watch him and Marquez try to beat the KTM's. :laugh

MotoGP: I really think it's going to be anyone's game. If Yamaha figures out their chassis issues on the factory bike Vinales will be on it. I see JLo making huge improvements in the off season. I have never liked the guy but lately I do approve of his work ethic this year. He's put his head down and worked and pretty much stayed positive about his developing a new way of riding a completely different machine. (however I'm still torn about those few laps he was ignoring team orders, whether Dovi said he couldn't have kept that pace or not). Zarco will be winning races in 2018, and I've said it a few times, watch out for Jack Miller. Cal is pretty much out of the game. Dani is still fighting as long as the sun is out. Can't leave out MM or Dovi.... or VR46, Morbidelli (may be a reincarnation of a certain bushy haired Italian - RIP SuperSIC), Ianonne and Rins if Suzuki can get some more development.

2018 will be a shootout each weekend I think.

#8 ·
2018 MotoGP rider line-up

Repsol Honda
Marc Marquez (End of 2018)
Dani Pedrosa (End of 2018)

Movistar Yamaha
Valentino Rossi (End of 2018)
Maverick Vinales (End of 2018)

Ducati Team
Jorge Lorenzo (End of 2018)
Andrea Dovizioso (End of 2018
)

Suzuki
Andrea Iannone (End of 2018)
Alex Rins (End of 2018)

KTM
Bradley Smith (End of 2018)
Pol Espargaro (End of 2018)

Aprilia Gresini
Aleix Espargaro (End of 2018)
Scott Redding (End of 2018)

Sam Lowes returning to Moto2.

Monster Yamaha Tech 3
Jonas Folger (End of 2018)
Johann Zarco (End of 2018)

LCR Honda
Cal Crutchlow (HRC contract until end of 2019)
Takaaki Nakagami (HRC contract, end of 2018?)
New second entry for Nakagami.

Marc VDS Honda
Franco Morbidelli (End of 2019, option for 2020)
Thomas Luthi (End of 2018?)

Pramac Ducati
Danilo Petrucci (Contracted to Ducati, end of 2018)
Jack Miller (Contracted to Ducati, end of 2018)

Avintia Ducati
Tito Rabat (End of 2018)
Xavier Simeon (End of 2019)
Hector Barbera switching to Moto2.

Aspar Ducati
Alvaro Bautista (End of 2018)
Karel Abraham (End of 2018)

#13 ·
I like Jack Miller. I think he's done well considering he started off on the crappy customer Honda his first year then proceeded to go on to the satellite rc213v with the bad engine acceleration/ traction and no, if any, updates.

Jack Miller Gives His First Impressions On The Pramac Ducati GP17

Some answers I found interesting.

Q: Was the bike like you expected after watching it riding it behind it for the past couple of years?

JM: Definitely. I was expecting of course a bike that had good contact on the rear, good exit, but also I'm really surprised at how good the entry is on the corner. And also mid-corner, the feel I get, especially through the double right here [Turn 4 and Turn 5] where you don't really touch the brakes that much in the second part and you roll in there, the bike's turning really well and I'm having a lot of fun.

Q: You are the first Ducati rider who says the bike is turning really well?

JM: Yeah? Well maybe some of them need to go and ride other bikes.

Q: What are you having to do differently?

JM: Not an awful lot. The bike definitely doesn't wheelie as much as the other thing did, and I'm enjoying that, because I can focus more on riding, especially on a tight go-kart track like we've got here at Valencia. Makes it easier just to focus on the line. The rest of it, just step by step adapting, how the bike accelerates, how the bike enters, and also mid-corner, and the different lines you sometimes have to take. The two are completely different.

#22 ·
If you guys haven't read up on some of those "Dear George" write-ups that float around on facebook, you need to. It's a must read. Fuckin hilarious! Not sure who's behind all of that but they're funny as hell...the last one was of course about the "Fuel mapping 8" messages lol

#26 ·
Valencia MotoGP test times - Wednesday (Final) | Results | Crash

1. = Marc Marquez SPA Repsol Honda (RC213V) 1m 30.033s
2. = Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda (RC213V) 1m 30.436s +0.403s
3. = Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech3 (YZR-M1) 1m 30.439s +0.406s
4. = Jorge Lorenzo SPA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17/18) 1m 30.534s +0.501s
5. ^7 Maverick Vinales SPA Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 1m 30.640s +0.607s
6. ˅1 Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 30.654s +0.621s
7. ˅1 Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 1m 30.724s +0.691s
8. ˅1 Jack Miller AUS Octo Pramac (Desmosedici GP17) 1m 30.860s +0.827s
9. ˅1 Andrea Iannone ITA Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 30.877s +0.844s
10. ˅1 Aleix Espargaro SPA Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 30.889s +0.856s
11. ˅1 Pol Espargaro SPA Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 1m 31.100s +1.067s
12. ˅1 Bradley Smith GBR Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 1m 31.202s +1.169s
13. = Tito Rabat SPA Reale Avintia (Desmosedici GP16) 1m 31.386s +1.353s
14. = Alex Rins SPA Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 31.516s +1.483s
15. = Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17/18) 1m 31.758s +1.725s
16. = Franco Morbidelli ITA EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m 31.786s +1.753s
17. ^1 Takumi Takahashi JPN LCR Honda (RC213V)* 1m 31.867s +1.834s
18. ˅1 Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac (Desmosedici GP17/18) 1m 31.874s +1.841s
19. = Scott Redding GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 32.358s +2.325s
20. = Xavier Simeon BEL Reale Avintia (Desmosedici GP16)* 1m 32.698s +2.665s
21. = Takaaki Nakagami JPN EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 33.870s +3.837s
Key:
˄X Rider has X higher positions than end of previous hour.
= Rider has same position as end of previous hour.
˅X Rider has X lower positions than end of previous hour.

* Rookie

#30 ·
I personally don't care if people like or dislike Lorenzo, but I do believe credit should be given where credit is due.

The media manipulated and riled everyone with a glimmer of hope that Ducati "could" win the championship knowing it was near impossible. From the get go motorcycle media has skewed Lorenzo's dominance with disdain in favor of that of Rossi and he sure has fallen into the role of being a jerk, which in most likelihood he probably is but it's not as if any Motogp rider is a personal friend so who cares. However, no one but Lorenzo has been able to beat Marc since his introduction to the MotoGP class. That is a great feat to accomplish, but once again that was obscured by the VR46 conspiracy theories. lol.

During the race the announcers were annoyingly pointing all blame to Lorenzo. How true is that?

Well, the facts is that it was ultimately Dovi who failed in Phillip Island.

Additionally, Dovi was taken out by Aleix in Argentina this year. Nobody remember that? Yes, and Petrucci (his Italian teammate) ultimately caused it.

"For sure the mistake was from Aleix but everything was created by Danilo" - Andrea Dovizioso. Andrea Dovizioso

And all I've heard year round is applaud to Danilo's performance and how he should replace Lorenzo, but Danilo can only win in wet weather conditions.

All I'm saying is that Dovi lost, not due to Lorenzo's disobedience of team orders, by a crash in Argentina and his failure in Phillip Island.

#31 ·
Actually there are 2 people that have beat Marquez so far. Rossi beat him as well in 2015...just so happens that Lorenzo beat both that year.

Also Marquez beat Marquez that year. He had a bunch of DNF's that were his own fault that year.

#41 ·
"Not if someone else is paying for your shit! If I'm a team owner and you're my rider and I'm letting you ride MY $2mil bike, fixing it all out of MY pocket after you crash it 15 times in a season, and I'm paying you millions on top of that to ride MY bike...YOU better fuckin do what I tell you when I tell you! lol At that point if I tell you to make me a fuckin sandwich, I expect you to only ask "toasted or not toasted?" Certainly not to make a fuss about it lol"

I laughed pretty hard when I read that. I'm dying to see JLo make Gigi and sammich. :laugh

#51 ·
I know it’s a little early to be talking about 2019 but I got a chance to hear the new Moto2 engine yesterday in the Triumph booth at Motorcycle Live Show in Birmingham. Speaking with one of the reps, he wouldn’t give me any exact hp numbers but he said it would be considerably more than the current 135hp the Honda engine is making but wouldn't confirm if it would be as high as Spirit R. They are set to start testing with the chassis shortly with the usual manufacturers Kalex, Suter, KTM etc. I think KTM and this engine will get along well as the trellis frame design is already similar to the current Triumph design, but interested to see what Kalex comes with as well.

Anyway here is a little edit I put together.

Also saw these there...

#52 ·
MotoGP, Marquez at 153 Km/h and 64°: here's how he didn't crash

To better understand the Spaniard's feat, we need some numbers, provided by the bike's telemetry. Marc braked at the end of the straight 30 metres beyond his usual braking point, but despite this he was able to get the bike into the turn at 153 Km/h, in third gear. When the steering locked, the front tyre slid along the asphalt for 50 metres, while the lean angle was 64 degrees.

The strange thing is that he did not crash.

I realised I was entering the turn too fast, but I thought I'd be able to brake and turn the bike - he says - I was leaning over with all the weight on my elbow, but I used my elbow and knee as if they were levers to get the bike back up".

#55 ·
Freak of nature! So he basically crashed for 50 meters, then just casually picked it up and continued on like it was nothing lol. And he braked 30 meters beyond his usual point? That's 100 feet! Now I feel like a total bitch cuz if I brake like 10-20 feet beyond my usual point, I lose all hope and stand up the bike thinking there's no way I'll make the turn and run it off track lol

Redbull is not playing around!!! The co founder has already made it known they are willing to double MM’s Repsol salary... can’t wait to see the silly season next year!

http://http://www.crash.net/motogp/contentm/887587/1/motogp-gossip-rossi-afraid-quitting-motogp
You got a better link? Says page not found even after I delete one of the "http://" since you had 2 in there.

#53 ·
Reactions: sbk1198 and Ilya
#54 ·
Redding found the RS-GP to have an unruly motor but he should have known that after seeing Lowes' 2017 season fiasco.

I can't wait to see the 18 prototypes!

Redding expected "demanding" Aprilia to be "easier"

Redding: "To me, that's the hardest bit, the response on the gas," Redding said. "[It] is quite an angry engine.

"They do a great job on electronics and chassis to help that but the engine just needs a bit more rider-feel and feedback.

"It works, but it could be a lot better. I think they will work to make it better, again, this is is an over-riding thing to make it w
ork.

#58 ·
Dovizioso breaks Jerez lap record on second test day

1 Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 1m37.663s
2 Cal Crutchlow Honda 1m37.818s 0.155s
3 Jorge Lorenzo Ducati 1m37.921s 0.258s
4 Andrea Iannone Suzuki 1m38.067s 0.404s
5 Pol Espargaro KTM 1m38.314s 0.651s
6 Alex Rins Suzuki 1m38.360s 0.697s
7 Tito Rabat Ducati 1m38.387s 0.725s
8 Danilo Petrucci Ducati 1m38.688s 1.025s
9 Jack Miller Ducati 1m38.876s 1.213s
10 Bradley Smith KTM 1m38.900s 1.237s
11 Franco Morbidelli Honda 1m38.923s 1.260s
12 Takaaki Nakagami Honda 1m38.992s 1.329s
13 Scott Redding Aprilia 1m39.295s 1.633s
14 Eugene Laverty Aprilia 1m39.485s 1.823s
15 Alex Marquez Honda 1m39.782s 2.119s
16 Xavier Simeon Ducati 1m40.332s 2.669s

#61 ·
The termination date of pretty much all contracts for riders is December 31st. So even though the season is over, until that day they are still employed by whoever they rode for that season. There have been some cases where riders were allowed to test in the November testing right after the season was over with the team that they were moving to, but that has to be allowed by their employer at the time. So yeah, if Lorenzo didn't have permission from Yamaha to test on the Ducati before January 1st 2017, then he couldn't swing a leg over it even. Makes perfect sense to me...although if I was a rider at that level I would want my contract to end on November xy (whatever the last race of the season is), just in case the next one will be with a different team. But then again...money talks usually and you don't always get what you want :)

#63 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.