Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

101 - 120 of 1036 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts
Literally just came here to post this. I also wonder who will fill that seat. I feel like a lot of riders may have contracts they'd have a hard time getting out of, like riders in Moto2 or Moto3.

VanDerMark seems like a good guess. Anyone else have any guesses or intel?
Josh Herrin! :devilish

·
Registered
5,990 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts
Honestly I don't think it matters much for Tech 3. I think it would be exciting and a great opportunity for whoever ends up being the replacement rider, but I'm guessing Herve's money is on Zarco to do some great things this season. Whoever they get to replace Folger will be there as 2nd fiddle to Zarco.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
I've been a fan of JD since he got the replacement slot to ride the ZX10 superbike back in 2010 or so. Hayes' comments make sense in regards to contracts and Zarco being the main focus on the team now anyway he'd be a good fill in. I'd bet he's be in the middle of the pack early in the season with enough testing ahead of time.

Joe Roberts would be my choice if he'd been in Moto2 all last year.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Josh Herrin! :devilish
I'd love to see this happen but after his dismal Moto2 showing I don't think he's on the radar.

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
With contracts signed it'll be basically impossible to get anyone decent from Moto 2. Which as many of you are getting at with the VDM hypothesis means some shifting with riders already under contract with Yamaha. So that is Alex Lowes and VDM in WSBK, though I highly doubt a Moto America rider would be brought to GP they could conceivably sub in at WSBK if one of those riders gets the call. There's also a few ex GP riders that could be options, like Sam Lowes or Loris Baz who may be willing to break their current contracts for a second shot at GP.

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts
I'd love to see this happen but after his dismal Moto2 showing I don't think he's on the radar.
Yeah I agree. I was mostly joking but would be cool to see. Reason I didn't name others from the US that would likely be a better choice is because all those guys have factory team contracts. Herrin would pack his bag and go in a heartbeat if he was given the opportunity! lol

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts
Just remembered (motorsport article) that Kohta Nozane had a good wild card performance in Motegi considering he was told just hours prior to the event. He needs to get that Tech 3 ride.
Good possibility as well. I think they're more likely to get some older dude with previous experience, for the sake of bike/team development, rather than a younger guy with no MotoGP experience. So even though I wish it'd be an american, I highly doubt it, unless they bring back Collin Edwards out of retirement for the sake of entertainment lol

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
Good possibility as well. I think they're more likely to get some older dude with previous experience, for the sake of bike/team development, rather than a younger guy with no MotoGP experience. So even though I wish it'd be an american, I highly doubt it, unless they bring back Collin Edwards out of retirement for the sake of entertainment lol
Satellite teams really don't do much development, unless you get a case like Cal, where he's an HRC contracted rider and riding a current gen RC213V with the caveat that he has to bear a brunt of the time consuming development/testing work.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Satellite teams really don't do much development, unless you get a case like Cal, where he's an HRC contracted rider and riding a current gen RC213V with the caveat that he has to bear a brunt of the time consuming development/testing work.
Or Petrucci on the GP17....

In Cal's case this year I think he'll be able to have a little more fun having a teammate to take some of that pressure off. He's still a main go-to on the team for R&D but it's not all on him now.

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts
Yeah I must say I sort of chuckled this last year watching Vinales and Rossi argue about the frame or bike in general and going back and forth on who likes what on the new factory bike, while Zarco, the "new guy" riding the satellite yamaha finished ahead of Vinales 7 times and ahead of Rossi also 7 times (unless you count Rossi's DNS, then it'd be 8).

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Yeah I must say I sort of chuckled this last year watching Vinales and Rossi argue about the frame or bike in general and going back and forth on who likes what on the new factory bike, while Zarco, the "new guy" riding the satellite yamaha finished ahead of Vinales 7 times and ahead of Rossi also 7 times (unless you count Rossi's DNS, then it'd be 8).
Of course i count the dnf's, especially from Rossi.

:D shots fired!!! Lol

·
Director of Moderation
9,580 Posts
Of course i count the dnf's, especially from Rossi.

:D shots fired!!! Lol
I counted all DNF's, but the DNS is the questionable one. Remember that race where he didn't start cuz of an injury?

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Forgot about that one. I can't believe he recovered so fast from that fracture.
Because he's more alien than MM :D

101 - 120 of 1036 Posts