Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

661 - 680 of 1036 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
:roll: You just hatin'. :devil He WILL win races on the Honda. I don't think he'll win a championship, but if he does I'll buy a Fireblade :D.
Then you'd buy a Fireblade?? Honda's won 5 MotoGP championships in the last 7 years. Why haven't you bought one yet?? lol

And I'm not hatin', I'm just being realistic :D...Marquez is a better rider. On the same machine, it's a no-brainer who's going to win more races between them 2!

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Then you'd buy a Fireblade?? Honda's won 5 MotoGP championships in the last 7 years. Why haven't you bought one yet?? lol

And I'm not hatin', I'm just being realistic :D...Marquez is a better rider. On the same machine, it's a no-brainer who's going to win more races between them 2!
I haven't bought one because the 4 Japanese literbikes are pretty much indistinguishable... and they haven't released a Repsol livery version.

---

Marc will probably win this race. If he's struggling to qualify he'll just get a 'tow' from another rider to make the difference in qualifying.

MotoGP: Marquez: Now Ducati is strong everywhere

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
I haven't bought one because the 4 Japanese literbikes are pretty much indistinguishable... and they haven't released a Repsol livery version.

---

Marc will probably win this race. If he's struggling to qualify he'll just get a 'tow' from another rider to make the difference in qualifying.

MotoGP: Marquez: Now Ducati is strong everywhere
Marc has always been strong at Sachsenring. Seems like COTA, Sachsensring and Aragon are the 3 tracks you'd have the highest probability of winning if you were to bet on him lol He goes well at Argentina and PI too when he doesn't crash or gets penalized :roll:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts

thumbs-up:Yeah! :bigthumb:!

Spanish Promoter, Spanish Oil Money, Spanish rule changes to benefit specifically him, Spanish team and not a single championship to show for it. I never liked his peevish arse after he nearly cost Hayden his championship in 2006. I'd root for anyone who was racing against him. And... I was a dyed in the leathers 'Honda Guy' back then :bitchslap.

Apologies to those who are Dani fans. But I've been hoping and praying for this time to come. Might even decrease my BP, because I won't be cursing at the TV on Sunday/Monday evenings. And it will most definitely lower my dog's BP because I'll no longer be shouting like an insane person at my TV/computer :angel.

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
thumbs-up:Yeah! :bigthumb:!

Spanish Promoter, Spanish Oil Money, Spanish rule changes to benefit specifically him, Spanish team and not a single championship to show for it. I never liked his peevish arse after he nearly cost Hayden his championship in 2006. I'd root for anyone who was racing against him. And... I was a dyed in the leathers 'Honda Guy' back then :bitchslap.

Apologies to those who are Dani fans. But I've been hoping and praying for this time to come. Might even decrease my BP, because I won't be cursing at the TV on Sunday/Monday evenings. And it will most definitely lower my dog's BP because I'll no longer be shouting like an insane person at my TV/computer :angel.
One of the articles I read about his retirement mentioned this...that since 2006, Pedrosa was not very well liked in the US, and even years later, lots of American fans still live in the past and don't like him because of THAT ONE bad move, which ended up not affecting anything anyway because Hayden still won. I think it's dumb that people didn't get over it after so many years, or took so long to get over it. Most racers have made at least one bone-headed move like that in their career, but aside from that one incident, Dani's been a class act. One of the nicest guys in the paddock as far as we fans can tell.

I used to not like Jonathan Rea because back in 2011-2012ish when he was still on the Honda he made a few bone-headed moves that resulted in other guys crashing, guys which I was rooting for. I thought he was a dick because of that and really didn't like him. But I got over it because I haven't seen him do anything like that since then, and in the last few years he's been nothing but amazing on and off the track.

Reactions: Ilya

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
Well the king of sachsenring strikes again! I didn't realize that his record was that good, even better than COTA. He's won there every year since 2010 (1 in 125s, 2 in moto2 and the rest since he joined MotoGP). Was a good race in the first part, then got a little boring in the 2nd half.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
One of the articles I read about his retirement mentioned this...that since 2006, Pedrosa was not very well liked in the US, and even years later, lots of American fans still live in the past and don't like him because of THAT ONE bad move, which ended up not affecting anything anyway because Hayden still won. I think it's dumb that people didn't get over it after so many years, or took so long to get over it. Most racers have made at least one bone-headed move like that in their career, but aside from that one incident, Dani's been a class act. One of the nicest guys in the paddock as far as we fans can tell.

I used to not like Jonathan Rea because back in 2011-2012ish when he was still on the Honda he made a few bone-headed moves that resulted in other guys crashing, guys which I was rooting for. I thought he was a dick because of that and really didn't like him. But I got over it because I haven't seen him do anything like that since then, and in the last few years he's been nothing but amazing on and off the track.

Hey, i can appreciate you're a Dani fan, but I think it is rather crass and classless, to call others "... dumb people didn't get over it... " Sir, that's the definition of what being a fan is. They stand by their chosen 'star.' To do otherwise is to be a "fair weather" fan.

Sir, I've been a decades long fan of 500 GP/MotoGP stars Kenny Roberts, Sr., Freddy Spencer, Wayne Rainey, Kevin Schantz, Mick Doohan, Vanentino Rossi, Casey Stoner, and Marc Marquez, and yes, Nicky Hayden. I'm also a fan of WSB racers Troy Corser, Troy Bayliss, Doug Chandler, Ben Spies, Jonathan Rea, Tom Sykes and Scott Russell. All of whom have/had made bonehead mistakes on/off the tracks of the world. I do not expect perfection from anyone. What I love about these men is their drive and tenacity in the face of long odds, their humour, and acts public goodwill off the track.

And all this in spite of their respective Factories not really being 'in their corner.' That is until they started winning becauise of their given talents. Never more so than in the case of Nicky; Hayden won his Championship the same year Pedrosa came to Repsol Honda. And from the get-go Honda crafted their bike completely around Dani; Dorna changed the rules to give Pedrosa an advantage. None of this is conjecture, it's well known in GP circles. Nicky Hayden won his title against long odds - Valentino Rossi pushed him to the last race of the season, and nearly to the last lap of that final race. And yet, Rossi said he was very happy for Hayden because he was such a good guy.

Dani Pedrosa has never enjoyed like kinds of accolades from his GP competitors; they may acknowledge his racecraft, natural talent, and extraordinary financial backing. And yet, with all those talents, and deep pocket backing he never won the title, nor will he ever with the MotoGP title.

What I find most appealing about Hayden is he always remained 'a man of the people,' much in the same vein as the late great Joey Dunlop of I.o.M. fame. Sure they made large financial gains, but they possessed humility, approachable to their fans, and were tight with their families. They all had character.

I am in no way denouncing anyone their right to back anyone. If you like Dani Pedrosa that's fine, I do not think nor feel you to be "dumb." We merely come at our passion for the sport of motorcycle racing from different circumstances. It's more important that we retain that passion.

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
Hey, i can appreciate you're a Dani fan, but I think it is rather crass and classless, to call others "... dumb people didn't get over it... " Sir, that's the definition of what being a fan is. They stand by their chosen 'star.' To do otherwise is to be a "fair weather" fan.
I didn't say dumb people. Read it again. I said "I think it's dumb THAT people didn't get over it"...and it's true. Seriously, how much of a grudge can one hold to not get over something like rider A (whom they never met) took out rider B (whom they also never met), simply because they're a fan of rider B?? And I thought I was bad about holding grudges...lol

Sir, I've been a decades long fan of 500 GP/MotoGP stars Kenny Roberts, Sr., Freddy Spencer, Wayne Rainey, Kevin Schantz, Mick Doohan, Vanentino Rossi, Casey Stoner, and Marc Marquez, and yes, Nicky Hayden. I'm also a fan of WSB racers Troy Corser, Troy Bayliss, Doug Chandler, Ben Spies, Jonathan Rea, Tom Sykes and Scott Russell. All of whom have/had made bonehead mistakes on/off the tracks of the world. I do not expect perfection from anyone. What I love about these men is their drive and tenacity in the face of long odds, their humour, and acts public goodwill off the track.
So then why are you hating on Pedrosa for making one bone-headed move? I'm sure he's probably made a few along the way, but everyone only remembers that one. He's been one of the cleanest racers in MotoGP. When he has made a move like that he's usually the first one to go apologize, unlike many other racers that walk away without a care in the world of the other rider they took out.

And all this in spite of their respective Factories not really being 'in their corner.' That is until they started winning becauise of their given talents. Never more so than in the case of Nicky; Hayden won his Championship the same year Pedrosa came to Repsol Honda. And from the get-go Honda crafted their bike completely around Dani; Dorna changed the rules to give Pedrosa an advantage. None of this is conjecture, it's well known in GP circles. Nicky Hayden won his title against long odds - Valentino Rossi pushed him to the last race of the season, and nearly to the last lap of that final race. And yet, Rossi said he was very happy for Hayden because he was such a good guy.
Again, why you hating on Dani for that? Hate on Dorna for changing the rules. That rule has also benefited many other people since then...like Marquez, Vinales, Lorenzo, etc. Honda was smart to craft their bike around Pedrosa. They saw the talent in him and knew he'd be the #1 rider on the team. And even though he never won a title, it showed. He was significantly better than Hayden starting from 2007. That was the year when the bike really changed since it was also the start of the 800cc short era, and that's when they tailored the bike for Dani. To be honest, I would've done the same if I was the boss at HRC. Hayden was good, but not that good.

For the record, I'm not a Pedrosa fan at all, the only time I ever rooted for him was in 2012 when he was the only possible one that could prevent Lorenzo from winning a championship after Stoner broke his leg. I wanted Dani to win then only so Lorenzo doesn't lol I'm just saying it how it is and giving credit where credit's due. I've been more of a Hayden fan by far (mainly cuz he was american, and he really represented the US very well, plus he seemed like a really awesome guy!), but let's be honest, Hayden got lucky as fuck. 2 wins in the whole season! And only 3 in his whole career! And it's not like all his other finishes were podiums, he had a bunch of off-the-podium finishes plus that DNF. Nobody has ever won a championship with those stats and with such a low number of points (252) before and after 2006. Nowadays, in the last several years, you'd be lucky to be in the top 3 with that. So many other riders have won more races than Nicky and got more podiums during their career and never won a championship, with Pedrosa being at the top of that list. I call that luck/good timing. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to have an american MotoGP champion, but in the back of my mind, there was always that thought...it's just never been a bragging point, because everyone knows that there are other better racers out there who never got a championship. Nicky wasn't the best, he won from the misfortunes of others...but such is racing I suppose.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Marc is running away with the championship this year. I can't see anyone challenging him. Great ride by Bautista.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #672
Marc is running away with the championship this year. I can't see anyone challenging him. Great ride by Bautista.
Yep, I think it's a foregone conclusion. Surprising to see that Dovi isn't challenging like last year. Or Vinales for that matter. Always too little too late with him this year.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Is it just me or is race direction being much harsher on handing out penalties and reviewing crashes when unwarranted compared to when they really should have with MM93?

Last race with Rins and this race with Pol. Any "clash" is now microscopically reviewed. :dowhat

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Seriously, how much of a grudge can one hold to not get over something like rider A (whom they never met) took out rider B (whom they also never met), simply because they're a fan of rider B?? And I thought I was bad about holding grudges...lol

sbk1198 I'll call this a draw since you said you weren't a Dani fan.

In your "rider A" vs "rider B" illustration one piece of knowledge you had no way of knowing before hand is that I as fan of 'B' had four actual conversations of > 15-min. each with rider 'B'. It started with having N. H. signing my Arai RX7 Corsair Hayden replica. Nicky was exceptionally gracious and in no hurry to usher us out of the pits (Laguna Seca).

Not the next year, but the following year, I had the great fortune to chat with him three times in three consecutive years. Nicky always being kind and fully engaged in the conversations (he surely wasn't 'mailing it in'). So, yes in truth, I was/remain a Hayden fan.

"So then why are you hating on Pedrosa for making one bone-headed move? I'm sure he's probably made a few along the way, but everyone only remembers that one. He's been one of the cleanest racers in MotoGP. When he has made a move like that he's usually the first one to go apologize, unlike many other racers that walk away without a care in the world of the other rider they took out."

Hate may be slightly over stated, but what I do dislike is his peevish behaviour, and the fact that as a junior member to the team was clearly favoured. He signed with arguably the best team; and the one with the greatest political clout in Dorna. Pedrosa got his seat at Repsol largely based on his nationality. The Spanish oil giant strong arm Honda into signing him and until that signing he had not been on a premier class GP bike. He's MotoGP's 'Trust Fund Kid' of sorts.

"Again, why you hating on Dani for that? Hate on Dorna for changing the rules."

Honda then strong arm Dorna to invoke new rules that were clearly put in place to help diminutive chaps, like Dani. And I clearly dislike Dorna and their blatant jingoistic favouritism. To be clear, it's not that Dorna is Spanish, I dislike the French (family name, not nationality) family of NASCAR fame even more so.

"For the record, I'm not a Pedrosa fan at all, the only time I ever rooted for him was in 2012 when he was the only possible one that could prevent Lorenzo from winning a championship after Stoner broke his leg. I wanted Dani to win then only so Lorenzo doesn't lol I'm just saying it how it is and giving credit where credit's due. I've been more of a Hayden fan by far (mainly cuz he was american, and he really represented the US very well, plus he seemed like a really awesome guy!) "

I don't have much use for Lorenzo, either! And I'll give props to Hayden becoming friends with Rossi when the Italian jumped to Yamaha. Hayden inherited what arguably was the best bike in the paddock. Valentino was driven to prove that Repsol Honda won championships with him, because of him, and not just because of HRC's engineering prowess. And HRC were eager to 'put Rossi in his place.' And so Nicky won the next year, and then Rossi+Burgess+Yamaha went on a tear to win the last four of his seven championships with Yamaha. Most observers of the time came to the conclusion that it was more the rider than the bike. And to put an exclamation point to that line of thinking one only has to look at the (sans Stoner years) Ducati GP bike. Two former multi-time GP champs and no title.

You seemed to complain about Hayden's few wins in 2006, but his regular podium finishes to win the title. Hayden was never known to be a chronic crasher. He was not the first champion to do so; Eddie Lawson, four time 500 GP champion (1984, 1986, 1988, 1989) was well known for his penchant for not crashing. His strategy was to finish in the points - take what the bike and track would give him, rather than crashing, that he became known as "Steady Eddie." Some might call that lucky, others would call it smart.

Eddie's good friend and three time 500 GP champion (1990, 1991, 1992), Wayne Rainey did much as his older mentor did, and frequently finish in the points on a given Sunday and do all he could not to crash. This is why it was such a shock to the GP community that his crash at Misano (his favourate track) while in the points lead, and leading on the track resulted in his paralysis that ended his career.

Kevin Schantz (1993 GP champ) and Max Biaggi both could have been multi-year GP champions if they had the foresight to understand crashing cost racers championship titles. Well, that and one problem named Mick Doohan, a five time 500 GP champion (1994, '95, '96. '97 '98). And yes, there were times of that same steady pace complaint. Then he got tired of hearing that and just started to clear off from the start and would just start lapping the field. Yeah, people complained about that, too!

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
sbk1198 I'll call this a draw since you said you weren't a Dani fan.

In your "rider A" vs "rider B" illustration one piece of knowledge you had no way of knowing before hand is that I as fan of 'B' had four actual conversations of > 15-min. each with rider 'B'. It started with having N. H. signing my Arai RX7 Corsair Hayden replica. Nicky was exceptionally gracious and in no hurry to usher us out of the pits (Laguna Seca).

Not the next year, but the following year, I had the great fortune to chat with him three times in three consecutive years. Nicky always being kind and fully engaged in the conversations (he surely wasn't 'mailing it in'). So, yes in truth, I was/remain a Hayden fan.
Oh, ok I'll give you that. Sorry for making a poor assumption. You are lucky that you got to meet him and chat with him multiple times. I'm even more jealous of that now since he's not with us anymore, and sadly nobody else will have that opportunity anymore :(

I don't have much use for Lorenzo, either! And I'll give props to Hayden becoming friends with Rossi when the Italian jumped to Yamaha. Hayden inherited what arguably was the best bike in the paddock. Valentino was driven to prove that Repsol Honda won championships with him, because of him, and not just because of HRC's engineering prowess. And HRC were eager to 'put Rossi in his place.' And so Nicky won the next year, and then Rossi+Burgess+Yamaha went on a tear to win the last four of his seven championships with Yamaha. Most observers of the time came to the conclusion that it was more the rider than the bike. And to put an exclamation point to that line of thinking one only has to look at the (sans Stoner years) Ducati GP bike. Two former multi-time GP champs and no title.
Can't help but correct your history a bit there. That's not really how it went, you're off by a few years. Rossi went to Yamaha in 2004 and he won right away (starting with his very first race on the Yamaha). He won his first two championships with Yamaha in '04 and '05. Hayden won the following year. Rossi mentioned in one of the MotoGP documentaries (Fastest I think?) that he felt the 2006 yamaha was the worst MotoGP bike that Yamaha made. Even with that though, he had more wins than Hayden, but he also had a few more crashes, and combined with the infamous race at Estoril where Elias beat him by .002, was enough to lose him the championship by 5 points. Then was the whole Stoner thing with Ducati, and after that Rossi won his last 2 championships in '08 and '09. So Rossi did prove his point to the world that it was HE that won, not HRC. I believe even to this day he is the only MotoGP rider to win consecutive races with 2 different manufacturers (he won his last race of 2003 on the Honda, then first race of 2004 on the Yamaha).

You seemed to complain about Hayden's few wins in 2006, but his regular podium finishes to win the title. Hayden was never known to be a chronic crasher. He was not the first champion to do so; Eddie Lawson, four time 500 GP champion (1984, 1986, 1988, 1989) was well known for his penchant for not crashing. His strategy was to finish in the points - take what the bike and track would give him, rather than crashing, that he became known as "Steady Eddie." Some might call that lucky, others would call it smart.

Eddie's good friend and three time 500 GP champion (1990, 1991, 1992), Wayne Rainey did much as his older mentor did, and frequently finish in the points on a given Sunday and do all he could not to crash. This is why it was such a shock to the GP community that his crash at Misano (his favourate track) while in the points lead, and leading on the track resulted in his paralysis that ended his career.

Kevin Schantz (1993 GP champ) and Max Biaggi both could have been multi-year GP champions if they had the foresight to understand crashing cost racers championship titles. Well, that and one problem named Mick Doohan, a five time 500 GP champion (1994, '95, '96. '97 '98). And yes, there were times of that same steady pace complaint. Then he got tired of hearing that and just started to clear off from the start and would just start lapping the field. Yeah, people complained about that, too!
True. I wasn't really complaining though, just making an observation. You're absolutely right that you gotta finish the race to get points and it's obviously better to settle for a 3rd, 4th, or whatever than throw it down the side of the track. But my point was simply that Hayden wasn't quite at the same level as Rossi, or a few others on the grid. He had a fair amount of luck go his way in 2006. Hayden was definitely the people's champion though! There's a good reason he had so many fans.

Reactions: WERA689

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
Is it just me or is race direction being much harsher on handing out penalties and reviewing crashes when unwarranted compared to when they really should have with MM93?

Last race with Rins and this race with Pol. Any "clash" is now microscopically reviewed. :dowhat
Every clash has always been reviewed every since they had the technology to do so. But the majority of the times they just consider it a racing incident with no further action. It does seem like lately they've been handing out more penalties, but doesn't seem over the top to me. Seems like most are in the lower classes, like Moto 3. Or the WSS300 in WSBK. I'm guessing because those classes have younger people...aka immature kids with less experience. It's easier to teach a 16-year old a lesson about how to behave than a 36 year old so it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Yep, I think it's a foregone conclusion. Surprising to see that Dovi isn't challenging like last year. Or Vinales for that matter. Always too little too late with him this year.
Unless Marc falls down during a race (which doesn't seem likely) we can all assume the second place battle will be more interesting. :O

Rossi is right there in pretty much every race this year. He needs to win a couple (doens't seem like it'll happen) and get Marc behind him a few positions.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Unless Marc falls down during a race (which doesn't seem likely) we can all assume the second place battle will be more interesting. :O

Rossi is right there in pretty much every race this year. He needs to win a couple (doens't seem like it'll happen) and get Marc behind him a few positions.

That's more up to Yamaha than it is to Rossi :roll:

661 - 680 of 1036 Posts