Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new zx6r and when i turn into certain corners like the bowl at chuckawalla clockwise the front end bounces or chatters. anyone else heard of this problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dunlop q3+ its definitely not the tires . used different ones., use my friends wheel and tire and same thing.
had the front right fork replaced because the first on had no rebound at all. this was after my first track day.
same thing after that. had the settings on the front forks and rear shock done by joey lombardo. he worked for kawasaki for 20 years. he is crew chief for jd beach now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a brand new zx6r and when i turn into certain corners like the bowl at chuckawalla clockwise the front end bounces or chatters. anyone else heard of this problem.
The chassis on the Kawasaki is known to do that. The stiff carcass on the dunlop tires enhances the problem. I had the same problem before. Switching to pirellis rectified my issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jason pridmore has 4 bikes and they do not do it at all. also 2 of my other friends have the same year as mine and theirs do not do it either. my bike is at the dealership again. hopefully they can figure something out. ill try the pirellis thanks. it only happens on the side of the tire. lefts and rights, on and off the brakes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
jason pridmore has 4 bikes and they do not do it at all. also 2 of my other friends have the same year as mine and theirs do not do it either. my bike is at the dealership again. hopefully they can figure something out. ill try the pirellis thanks. it only happens on the side of the tire. lefts and rights, on and off the brakes.
Well you said on only specific corners, which would lead me to believe it’s not a mechanical issue. It’s either a setup or tire issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if a road or track has no bumps then the suspension really doesn't have to do anything. If there is a bump or series of bumps while the bike is leaned over then it has to work. plus 4 other bikes do not feel like mine. they run the same dunlop tires as well.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sounds like you need to talk to Jason Pridmore. I’d bet his bikes are all stock if he is still running a school out there...

I’ve been much happier with the Q4’s than the 3’s. Honestly, though, if you research “chatter” and zx6’s - especially on the WERA.com forum - the answer is always to not run Dunlop’s. I’ve never run anything but the Q tires on my ‘12, but I must not be pushing hard enough to experience classic chatter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im game to try anything. pirellis are the next try. its such a shame im having this issue. the bike is a rocket ship and pulls so hard. My gsxr was so smooth and no issues what so ever. I probably should have just purchased a new one of those and save me this issue.

thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Registered
192 Posts
im game to try anything. pirellis are the next try. its such a shame im having this issue. the bike is a rocket ship and pulls so hard. My gsxr was so smooth and no issues what so ever. I probably should have just purchased a new one of those and save me this issue.

thanks for all your suggestions.
Don’t be afraid to play with the clickers. This is what they are for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i had my suspension guy go thru them all. trust me. Also had joey lombardo set the bike up and still the same. You can google him if you want. He is jd beach's crew chief this season.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i had my suspension guy go thru them all. trust me. Also had joey lombardo set the bike up and still the same. You can google him if you want. He is jd beach's crew chief this season.
That doesn’t mean that it will not need fine tuning. 2 people can ride the same bike with the same setup and have a different feel for the machine. What exactly did this guy do? Spring changes? Sag? A base setup?

Too many people assume that because a seasoned professional turned the adjusters on their bike that the setup must be perfect and they should leave it the way it is. This is not the case. As you get faster, you will encounter more and more problems. Lots of them can be fixed with a screwdriver.

I think most people are not comfortable adjusting their own suspension because they don’t understand hydraulics. If you can understand very basic hydraulic circuits(its not complicated), you should be comfortable using the rebound and compression adjusters on your machine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
joey set up the bike i believe in the middle or where most guys run them. my other guy i work with went thru both rebound and compression for 2 days and still nothing worked.

·
Registered
651 Posts
dunlop q3+ had the settings on the front forks and rear shock done by joey lombardo. he worked for kawasaki for 20 years. he is crew chief for jd beach now.
joey set up the bike i believe in the middle or where most guys run them. my other guy i work with went thru both rebound and compression for 2 days and still nothing worked.
1. I don't know your pace but If your trying to make the stock suspension work, forget about that.
2. Joey and the "other guy" can't make your stock stuff work because... it don't work.
3. Since 09 the bike has been a bear to overcome the chatter. Everyone in the business knows this.
4. Upgrade the fork cartridges if you want a smooth ride.... even then it takes development.
5. And Dunlops are not the tire for the ZX6R. Some of us have no choice but to ride on them. You don't.
6. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
do you own or ride a zx6r? why does my bike chatter but 4 of jason pridmore's bikes do not do it??? Do you know who he is?

·
Registered
592 Posts
do you own or ride a zx6r? why does my bike chatter but 4 of jason pridmore's bikes do not do it??? Do you know who he is?
Are these serious questions? Cuz Jason pridmore is a pro and his inputs are superior to yours. Also, Backmarker has raced a zx6r in Motoamerica for years and is offering legitimate advice. So try some pirelli tires and at least upgrade to linear springs for your weight up front. With that said, I am about to race this season on stock suspension on a new to me 2016 , and I hope I don’t experience said chatter. But if I do, I won’t come crying to the forum to give me some magical fix to podium with my stock suspension, I’ll upgrade it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts