Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have my bike opened up for a valve adjustment and am about to finish it up finally.

While it is in pieces I wanted to find out about any air mods, specifically, if there is an air baffle on my particular bike that I could remove just for a better sound.

I've found tons on older zx6r models but nothing on this generation of bike (2013-2018).

Is there an air baffle on my bike? Has anyone removed it? Any other considerations?

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
388 Posts
You can remove the foam from the inside of the air box and the front fairing stay. Some of it will just peel off but it helps to use a little parts cleaning solution or mineral spirits to soften the glue to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
You can remove the foam from the inside of the air box and the front fairing stay. Some of it will just peel off but it helps to use a little parts cleaning solution or mineral spirits to soften the glue to remove it.

So I've been doing a lot of digging on airboxes and ram-air theory. Why would you want to remove the foam? From what I have found, a smaller air-box volume (aka leaving the foam in) forces the air into the cylinders at a faster rate, which reduces the internal pressure of the airbox even further and thus atomizes fuel better. In this instance, the foam taking up volume in the airbox would actually have performance benefits vs. no foam. What does removing this foam actually do?

·
Registered
388 Posts
So I've been doing a lot of digging on airboxes and ram-air theory. Why would you want to remove the foam? From what I have found, a smaller air-box volume (aka leaving the foam in) forces the air into the cylinders at a faster rate, which reduces the internal pressure of the airbox even further and thus atomizes fuel better. In this instance, the foam taking up volume in the airbox would actually have performance benefits vs. no foam. What does removing this foam actually do?
The foam is there to reduce db levels. Yes, the size of the airbox will have an effect on how the engine runs. It is calculated by a small Japanese man that is better at math than I am. I highly doubt removing the small amount of foam that is in the front section of the air box and the front fairing stay will have a measure-able effect on performance. If anything, it may reduce or increase turbulence of the air going into the airbox, depending upon the velocity of said air.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The foam is there to reduce db levels. Yes, the size of the airbox will have an effect on how the engine runs. It is calculated by a small Japanese man that is better at math than I am. I highly doubt removing the small amount of foam that is in the front section of the air box and the front fairing stay will have a measure-able effect on performance. If anything, it may reduce or increase turbulence of the air going into the airbox, depending upon the velocity of said air.

Never seeing the newer bike's airboxes, I have no clue how much foam was in there to begin with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts