Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

2014 TRS HID Install

6K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  Xanidus 
#1 ·
I recently bought the Stage 2 HID projector kit for my 2014 ZX6R from The Retrofit Source and I plan on installing them this weekend but I have no idea where to start haha. The kit is pretty standard: 4300k bulb, 35watt, mini gatlin gun shrouds, duel output harness and I requested a high beam splitter.

Does anyone know of an install guide for this bike? or have any tips? I could really use all the help I can get!

#2 ·
Well, luckily for you, I have already installed an HID kit from TRS. Currently, I am in the works of getting my Morimoto Mini H1 Bi-Xenon projectors, Mini Graphite and have a 3 sets of XC RGB Halos to install. I'm not sure if I will be using all 3 sets of halo rings, but I have them. I honestly might exchange two of those for a different size of just one, but I don't know yet.

Did you order a set of Mini H1 Bi-Xenon projectors too? I would assume so since you purchased the Mini Gatling Gun shrouds and the High Beam Splitters.

If you are doing a full retrofit with new projectors, you are in for some serious work here since you have a 2014, as do I. There are some videos from BKMoto on YouTube that will help you. Here is a HUGE tip. You CANNOT bake these headlights to get the headlights split open. Kawasaki switched to a new company with their headlight housings. Unfortunately, they use a permanent glue instead of a Butyl epoxy. This will take you several hours to get the lens off. It took me 3 1/2 hours to finally get them split open. You will need a few flat head screwdrivers and a box cutter blade. You have to work it pretty good for a while. I kinda effed up my housing, but it will be fine.

You will also need to order some OCI Butyl epoxy from TRS in order to seal your headlights back up.

You will also need to fabricate up some new projector brackets. You can't use the factory brackets inside the headlight housing that your projectors are mounted to. BKMoto sells them for $80 after shipping. Honestly, they are extremely expensive. They aren't on their website, but if you email them, he will sell them to you. So you can either spend the money on purchasing them or fabricate your own. I am thinking of fabricating my own and selling them once I get my brackets in from BKMoto, but I don't know how I can cut thick aluminum at a curve. So as soon as I get them in, I will be able to figure out if I can and if I can, I'll start selling them on here for $50 shipped.

So before I go on any further, answer some of those questions I listed above.

#3 ·
I ordered the whole stage 2 motorcycle kit, so yes it does come with projectors,

what do the brackets look like? what kind of brackets will i need? do you have a picture?

any tips for taking the headlights off besides just prying?

I thought you could just replace the halogen projectors with the HID projectors?

#4 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the new brackets. I can take a picture of the factory brackets, but the problem is, is that the new Morimoto Mini H1 projectors are smaller, therefor won't have a way to mount to the bracket.

Only tip I have for opening the headlights is just to take your time. Do it in one hour increments or you will get rather tired of doing it.

You can replace the halogen projectors with Bi-Xenon projectors. That's what we are doing, but you need the bracket that holds the projector. You will also have to remove the inner shield that has the reflective chrome. You can leave it in there, but you can't use the shrouds. So your option is to either use the shroud and leave the chrome reflective inner shield or you can use your shrouds, but have to take out the inner chrome shield.

Here are the factory projectors out of the headlight housing. The mount I am speaking of has the three plastic adjustment receivers that the adjuster bolts go through to adjust your projectors.

Here's a picture of the inner chrome shield that will need to be removed if you are using the shrouds.

#6 ·
I'm using one from TRS. It's the 5Five Ballast which is a 50w ballast with a 6000k XB35 Bulb.

I honestly don't know of a product that would remove the adhesive. Don't know what M3 would make. It just takes a few hours to cut the glue apart with a blade. I kinda did it in three steps. First is to cut a blade down the entire seem and then pry it all open with a couple of flathead screwdrivers and then to use the blade again to cut it. Third step would be to get it almost open at this point and nearly get it pried open and cut the adhesive from the back side of the lip.

Reactions: KawiDude
#9 ·
No, no one sells the projector mounting bracket. Trust me, I searched for a week and found nothing. You have to either fabricate your own from a machine shop or spend the $80 from BKMoto.

The difference honestly is quality. TRS sells Morimoto and I don't know what BKMoto sells. The difference is also customer service. TRS has awesome customer service as BKMoto will take care of you before the sale, even though all emails go through the owner, Boris. Lastly, TRS is more of a retrofit company for automobiles whereas BKMoto only does bikes. TRS doesn't really have any experience on our bikes, but BKMoto does.

There are DIY videos and instructions are on TRS' website on how to wire, but you will have to go to YouTube for BKMoto's instructions. It's a retrofit. It's a custom job.

If you can figure out the wiring, the rest is pretty self explanatory once you open up the headlights and see. There are how-to's on TRS' website on how to hook up the pieces that are in the plastic baggy in the box with the projectors.

#10 ·
Here are some pictures of the brackets I got in from BKMoto

Here's the thickness of them. That means that the three (per side) adjustment tabs will have to he dremeled down so they can be inserted into the new projector bracket.

#12 ·
Also interested in the installation and write-up.

I have a cracked chrome shield/reflector for the DRL. May upgrade the whole thing to TRS while trying to repair it.

#13 ·
If not, I may sell you mine. Which side is it? I'm hoping it's the left hand side. My right hand side is kinda scratched up a tiny bit. I dropped the DRL LED and had to get it out with a clothes hanger.

#14 · (Edited)
Oh! Mine's the LHS.

Def interested.

Only thing is that the cracked shield has started scratching my lens from the inside :(

Also, my headlights have a few other issues. Which makes me tempted in buying a new unit all together.
If you sold the LHS reflective shield, are you planning on not using them with the new HIDs?

Attachments

#15 ·
Correct. If you want to use the shrouds, then you can't use the chrome reflective shield.

PM me if you want to buy it.

#16 ·
Here is an update. I started to put everything together, but I noticed that the new projector mounting brackets from BKMoto won't work with the Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors. The projectors are too big to fit in the hole. You will have to use a dremmel tool or something else to shave the bracket down like I did. I repainted it with Black Chrome Paint, which is honestly suppose to be used only on Chrome, but I used it anyway. I also painted the white plastic adjuster tabs since they will be visible since I won't be using the chrome reflective shield.

I'll be posting pictures once I get them off my phone.

#17 ·
Just wondering where the problem lies with re using the stock mounting brackets with the new TRS mini H1 Projectors? Theres no way we could just modify the stocks to make them work, we have to get the BKmotos? Asking because I currently have a TRS kit sitting in my cart, just doing a little research before I commit to buying them.

#18 ·
The problem lies in the fact that the factory mounting brackets have a hole in them that are too big to mount the projectors inside. If you try to drop the projector into the bracket, it will basically almost fall through it. The OEM projectors are a tad bigger than the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors. The holes in the factory brackets are also different than the Mini H1 projectors holes.

Only way to use the factory projectors is to make your own bracket that can lay over the OEM brackets with different holes, but at that point, you might as well just make your own brackets.

I just got my brackets from BKMoto resized and painted black after the dremmel tool wondered off from me a couple of times. Now I can begin to start installing it back to normal.

I outlined my modified brackets on to a piece of paper, so now I have a template on a piece of paper. It may not look pretty, but it works. Can't make many things look pretty when you are using a dremmel tool to make a new hole in a piece of 2mm thick metal.

#21 ·
Any updates on your retrofit Texas636?

Sorry I haven't PM'd. Been trying to get my bike fixed, and I think my headlight unit has more issues than I initially thought, so I may be up to replace the whole thing.

#22 ·
I haven't had a chance to really continue working on this yet. I did get all three pairs of my angel eyes mounted to my shroud using picture hanging wire.

I just received a pair of LED's for my Demon Eyes. It has a heat sensor in it so it will turn off when the projectors are on, which is great! I don't have to mount up another switch.

I just have to figure out how to mount it.

I just remembered that I need to scan my traced mounting brackets. I'll work on it now.

#23 ·

Attachments

#27 ·
Hey Texas,

I'm sorry to bother you again but I have one last favor to ask, if possible. Can you mark the dimensions on that bracker drawing of yours? My good friend who I ride with all the time owns a machine shop, and with measurements (distance from hole to hole, distance of hole from side, dimensions of each gap), he can machine me these brackets with ease.

Let me know if you are able to do this, I'd be forever greatful!

If you need my e-mail its evan.steeves1@gmail.com

#25 ·
#28 ·
Unfortunately I don't have any dimensions of the bracket. I did however trace it on to a piece of paper, I just have to find it and measure it. I can be forgetful, so if I don't get it to you in the next day, PM me to remind me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.