Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wassup guys, this is my first post and the first forum ive ever signed up for. I am so frustrated with this bike I bought a few days ago from a guy. So Im a first time rider, and have little knowledge about bikes overall(probably an overstatement). I bought a 2013 ZX6R no ABS from a person on the 8th of April , I test rode it with no problems, he said it had no mechanical problems , and the day after no problems. However on Sunday I went to start it up and let it warm up and after about 2-3 minutes of a calm idle it slowly died. I started it back up and it slowly died a few seconds later and a few more times of the same thing. when it dies the electric portion stays on, and it starts up with no problem and sits at about 15-1700 RPMs then does. so it actually stayed on so I decided to ride it about 2 miles down the street to my buddies and it died when I would down shift to first gear at the lights, again low idle issues. so I have been looking up these issues on forums and youtube with not much distinct solutions. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Zenitram,

It sounds like a the issue a lot of us had which was a low idle adjustment. I just bought mine from a dealer 4 weeks ago, and it stalled out about 15 times on the ride home. Did a quick search, a youtube video later, and two seconds in the garage had it running like a champ.

Sounds like you just need to turn that idle up a bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zenitram,

It sounds like a the issue a lot of us had which was a low idle adjustment. I just bought mine from a dealer 4 weeks ago, and it stalled out about 15 times on the ride home. Did a quick search, a youtube video later, and two seconds in the garage had it running like a champ.

Sounds like you just need to turn that idle up a bit.
Man I sincerely hope this is user error, but when I try to adjust the idle it don't see any effects. the seller showed me the idle knob, and its purpose and it was functioning. but when I tried it the RPMs didn't move either way. idk what im doing wrong

·
Registered
199 Posts
Search around the forum for this issue. Most guys either came down to a idle or ecu issue. I would assume if you adjusting your idle isn't actually adjusting it.... there could be an issue there. Take a look on youtube and the forum just to double check. Just a question. If you had it run for 2 minutes, it stalled out, then started it again.... what is the RPM on the 2nd start idle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yea I was looking around youtube and this forum for similar issues but could find an exact match. the second time, as well as all other times the RPMs were about 1500 for 2 or 3 seconds then a slow engine shut down.

is there something missing that I need to know how to use the dang idle knob (what is the proper name for the idle knob)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I turned up the idle knob, apologies, I forgot to mention that in the original post. when I turn it I don't see any effect to the RPMs either rising or lowering

·
Registered
641 Posts
Could be you are turning it the wrong way and it may be turned out - I've never looked at it. I had a '13 it ran OK but did have a little bit of a slow idle. After the bike warms up a bit the idle drops, sound like that is when you are having the issues, mine died one or twice as I was slowing down after being on it a little bit. Pulled the clutch in and as the RPMs dropped to idle they dropped to zero. Frustrating if you are experienced but can be difficult if you are not experienced. I think you are on the right track just need to chase it down.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
If ur turning the idle adjuster and nothing is changing then the mechanism might have disconnected somewhere in there.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
No way! You are doing it wrong. You sure you tugging,er um turning the right knob? Which way are you turning it also?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If ur turning the idle adjuster and nothing is changing then the mechanism might have disconnected somewhere in there.
Yea that's what the guy who sold it to me mentioned, who btw is actually going to take it in and pay for repairs, but I'm ready to pay for it if it comes out that the idle knob is messed up because I'm sure that would be from my dumb ass over turning it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Take it apart and fix it yourself. It aint that hard.
I would man but I have zero knowledge of what to look for, or what is right or wrong you know. Im working on finding some help from someone at work. Can't find much on YouTube. If you have any ideas let me know, I'm all ears. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take it apart and fix it yourself. It aint that hard.
I would man but I have zero knowledge of what to look for, or what is right or wrong you know. Im working on finding some help from someone at work. Can't find much on YouTube. If you have any ideas let me know, I'm all ears. Thanks

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
U gotta remove the fuel tank and maybe airbox to get access to it. U need to remove the seat. First, take off the plastic trim under the seat.

·
Registered
206 Posts

If you are still in trouble, think about how the engine operates. Air, fuel, ignition. Did previous owner do any aftermarket stuff to either of these?

I would start with the idle and throttle connections to the engine. Then the air. A maintenance manual is a must, imo, if you can't stand the service fees. However, getting a good shop to put your purchase straight and clean to start with might be worth it.

The throttle is basically two cables opposing each other and I believe the idle screw your speaking of is just a mechanical connection to the throttle cable end point. I believe you can see that with a torch on the left side just inside the frame undr the tank. If the idle adjustment is a problem, holding the throttle open should keep engine running. If not, start looking to air flow, then ignition or electrical. Air should be easy.

I know that if your 'battery' is not optimum, you could also see start difficulty, backfire, idle problem, ECU&warn lite problem. Was the bike sitting for a while or in cold weather? That'll sap the life out of a battery.

Hope it works out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
wassup guys, this is my first post and the first forum ive ever signed up for. I am so frustrated with this bike I bought a few days ago from a guy. So Im a first time rider, and have little knowledge about bikes overall(probably an overstatement). I bought a 2013 ZX6R no ABS from a person on the 8th of April , I test rode it with no problems, he said it had no mechanical problems , and the day after no problems. However on Sunday I went to start it up and let it warm up and after about 2-3 minutes of a calm idle it slowly died. I started it back up and it slowly died a few seconds later and a few more times of the same thing. when it dies the electric portion stays on, and it starts up with no problem and sits at about 15-1700 RPMs then does. so it actually stayed on so I decided to ride it about 2 miles down the street to my buddies and it died when I would down shift to first gear at the lights, again low idle issues. so I have been looking up these issues on forums and youtube with not much distinct solutions. Thanks in advance for the help.
And by the way, you are one brave-ss dude choosing a 120hp ninja for a 1st bike. I wish you all the best.

Don't take it the wrong way, but, do some schoolin and don't ever stop learning. I started in 1970 on an underpowered 400 and progressed to a dragstrip eating H2750 triple while still in high school. And 'I'm still learning today'!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts