Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a brand new 2013 leftover zx6r. I read a lot of zx6r owners do sidestand / kickstand pivots, etc. with their bikes. You also see a lot of people sitting on their zx's while on stand. I have no need in doing stand spins or such where I live, but I'm concerned with the owners manual stating not to sit on the bike with stand down. Its not a "warning" but I've never seen this in a manual. Safety or liability thing? Or is there an issue? Are they thinking the stand will bend, or worse, the frame be compromised? The stand looks pretty sturdy to me......New owner here looking to get some input by seasoned zx6r riders.... Thanks....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome! I too picked up a left over 2013 about a week ago....I'm not sure if its bad or but I do it pretty often...in fact i'm doing as we speak..just too cold to ride...

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Liability reasons. Because some folks are too stupid for their own good...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
they tell you not to sit on the bike when the stand is down because at any point the bike can move forward, cause the stand to kick up, and you'll be on the floor, you can get hurt if the bike falls on you, It becomes a liability issue if you hurt yourself while the stand is down ...

Basically what OkayH said lol .

I sit on my bike all the time with the stand down, nothing has ever happened to me or any of my previous bikes, including my 2013 636.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Stands fine. I put it on the stand to spin it all the time. With some of the rediculous long lights we have here, I also put the kickstand down to chill for 20 minutes (sarcasm) while sitting at each and every red light.

On a separate note, I was having a starting issue that the dealer figured out was the kickstand sensor. Apparently they use like a rubber piece to bolt the sensor I guess to help with vibration, and if it gets knocked a little lose, it'll cause the bike to not start in gear. It was only off by a little. I missed it in my attempt to diagnose the starting issue.

Also, this was around 4000 miles on the bike and was surprised at how much rust was already accumulating on the kickstand and I live in San diego that sees low humidity and very little rain. I would assume my bike wasn't special in this regard and that it's probably happening to all the current gens.

Make sure you clean and lube that kickstand on the metal on metal parts. That would be something that would degrade the kickstand and cause it to fail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I obviously came to the right place for the answer I sought! I figured (and hoped) liability was the reason rather than something else. Thanks guys, much appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
10 Posts
yea, its probably so, you dont end up possibly sinking the kickstand into the ground.

Ever see a bike thats been sitting for awhile on black top during july?
Kick stand will start to sink in, or make an imprint.

And yea whoever mentioned the bike rolling, thats probably one of the main things.

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
The kickstand is probably the strongest point on the bike... It can sustain a great deal of weight. Don't worry about it, it's fine.
I would like to argue that the frame is the strongest structural components on the bike...
Though Kawi kick stands are much more beefy than yami stands.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I would like to argue that the frame is the strongest structural components on the bike...
Though Kawi kick stands are much more beefy than yami stands.
This explains why the R6's are so much better for the track :naughty:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've heard of damage to where the stand mounts to the frame on s1000rr from people sitting or spinning the bike on its side stand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard of damage to where the stand mounts to the frame on s1000rr from people sitting or spinning the bike on its side stand.
See, now this is the first report I've ever seen of this, even after searching every corner of the web. .... Other than ducati or KTM where the stands mount to the motor. You say the case you know of was a Honda CBR?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I've bent enough side stands over the years I don't sit on them or put any undue stress on them any more. Granted I've not bent one on what you would call a "modern" bike but that may be because I don't do these things any longer.

They where never designed to support that much weight. It's just to hold the bike off the ground when its not being ridden. I can tell you I've watched my friend snap two of them off his KTM in the last couple of years. The thru bolt on those will snap in half. Takes some doing but that's where they brake.

So, just to avoid the chance of damaging it, I don't sit on them or pivot them on it unless it's absolutely a last resort.

And yes, I've seen them fold up while people are sitting on their bikes. I've even had it happen to me once or twice.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I wouldn't with some Ducati's, but a Ninja? I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
588 Posts
See, now this is the first report I've ever seen of this, even after searching every corner of the web. .... Other than ducati or KTM where the stands mount to the motor. You say the case you know of was a Honda CBR?
I've only read it in forums, not CBR, BWM S1000RR

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I was shopping for my bike, the dealers let me sit on every bike with the side stand on. I was getting a feel of the bike by moving around my seat with the side stand on. So I am sure its gonna be okay to sit on the bike with the side stand on.

·
Registered
588 Posts
local HD dealer lets you sit on bike and they hold the bike up vertical so you get a good feel for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts