Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with removing my battery out of my 2013 ZX6R. I just took off the seat and haven't disconnected anything as of yet, because I wanted to ask the professionals on here first. It looks like it's going to be a PITA, but I could be totally wrong, so.... Any help would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just undo the rubber straps and disconnect the cables from the battery. You need to kind of wiggle the battery out, just be patient and it will come out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome guys! Thanks so much! Didn't know if it was going to be harder than it looked is all! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just did some work on my bike this past weekend and thanks to this thread. Damm I think I forgot to rubber strap my battery in place I only hooked the cables up. I guess I need to re check my work tomorrow.

·
Registered
422 Posts
you have already accomplish the hard part. Like others said, undo rubber hold downs, remove screws from battery posts, take out battery.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Make sure to always take the red wire off first and leave the battery grounded.

When reinstalling, connect the ground wire first then the hot wire.

While you're in there, connect in a lead for a battery tender and run it underneath the tank so you can grab it and plug it in.

·
Registered
580 Posts

While you're in there, connect in a lead for a battery tender and run it underneath the tank so you can grab it and plug it in.

Now it's a done thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I know the thread is done...but this is the reverse way that I have been taught.

Its always been remove negative, then power. Re install power first, then negative.

I've not had a bad experience doing it that way and now my curiosity has the better of me. :hmm2:

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I know the thread is done...but this is the reverse way that I have been taught.

Its always been remove negative, then power. Re install power first, then negative.

I've not had a bad experience doing it that way and now my curiosity has the better of me. :hmm2:
Maybe it's just a terminology thing.

Black / negative / ground
Red / postive / power

I was taught to always ensure the battery is grounded. I'm not sure what harm could come with having a grounded battery :O

·
Registered
279 Posts

That is the way I was taught as well and here is the reasoning behind it.

If the ground wire is connected, then all of the metal parts of the chassis are potential shorts to the positive terminal. When moving the battery, or using a wrench or screwdriver to disconnect the positive terminal, one slip could potentially short the battery. If the battery has recently been charged, there is also a possibility of hydrogen gas lingering and the potential for an explosion.:eek: By disconnecting the negative terminal first, then the positive terminal is no longer a risk for shorting to the chassis.

Okay now, is this thread done? (HaHa).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts