Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup y’all, new to this forum. Just bought a 2016 zx6r super clean 300 miles on it so far, love the bike. I’m curious tho, how difficult is it to get rid of the ABS system? What’s the process? It’s something I want to do eventually, my last bike was non abs and I prefer it for sure. Not just disable it but delete it entirely (save some weight, easier servicing the system and more stopping power).

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Welcome to the forum…. Can’t tell you exactly what would need to be replaced but it’s mostly going to be replacing brake lines. If the feel is off I’d bet the fluid is the original stuff.

First thing I’d do is refresh the whole system with fresh fluid, then I’d look for an ABS braided set of lines. That’s going to cost less, and may end up with a marginally more desirable bike if you ever decide to sell it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum…. Can’t tell you exactly what would need to be replaced but it’s mostly going to be replacing brake lines. If the feel is off I’d bet the fluid is the original stuff.

First thing I’d do is refresh the whole system with fresh fluid, then I’d look for an ABS braided set of lines. That’s going to cost less, and may end up with a marginally more desirable bike if you ever decide to sell it.
Thanks, yeah I flushed the fluid a few days ago, it helped a bit for sure. I read thru the only other thread I could find on it and they talked about replacing the lines and bypassing the unit with a mod. I know they make kits for other bikes to get rid of the whole unit so I’ll probably just research how they do that or maybe look into buying some parts from a non-abs zx.

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Thanks, yeah I flushed the fluid a few days ago, it helped a bit for sure. I read thru the only other thread I could find on it and they talked about replacing the lines and bypassing the unit with a mod. I know they make kits for other bikes to get rid of the whole unit so I’ll probably just research how they do that or maybe look into buying some parts from a non-abs zx.
It's been done by a few on this forum, you may be able to find the threads if you search for them. That would potentially get you to a parts list of what needs changing to convert from ABS to non-ABS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It might sound dumb but make sure its actually has ABS, many have been fooled with fake ABS stickers (to get a higher price) and/or by thinking the sensors on the rims are just ABS sensors.
If your front brake lines go directly from the lever to the calipers you don't have ABS.
You have to use a kit to preserve other functions so you don't mess up traction, spedo, also have to install non abs lines. 3 lines instead of 5, The braided lines are a nice feel upgrade.
If you're not using it as a track bike getting rid of ABS doesn't make a lot of sense, more stopping power? ABS will stop you faster and safer But each to their own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It might sound dumb but make sure its actually has ABS, many have been fooled with fake ABS stickers (to get a higher price) and/or by thinking the sensors on the rims are just ABS sensors.
If your front brake lines go directly from the lever to the calipers you don't have ABS.
You have to use a kit to preserve other functions so you don't mess up traction, spedo, also have to install non abs lines. 3 lines instead of 5, The braided lines are a nice feel upgrade.
If you're not using it as a track bike getting rid of ABS doesn't make a lot of sense, more stopping power? ABS will stop you faster and safer But each to their own.
Good point I’ll double check the lines. In all likelihood I’ll be taking the bike to the track a lot so that’s why I said eventually.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
If you ride at the track you may want to keep ABS installed. It works alongside traction control and may help in case you get too aggressive with the throttle.

If you remove the ABS system the ECU will still be looking for ABS and it may reduce the ignition timing or put the bike into a limp mode. I’m not sure if the 2016 ECU is that sophisticated but it may well be. And you will have a constant ABS light.

If you have your mind set on it, then to replace the ABS system completely, look up the OEM parts you need on Kawasaki’s website and order them. You may need clips and fittings. Here’s a link: Owner Center
Since you are replacing the lines, I would not use OEM lines instead I recommend buying braided stainless steel lines from HEL or Galfer. The removal of the ABS and installation of the lines should be pretty straight forward and not take much time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts