Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've tracked my stock zx6r twice now, and I'm looking to make it more track worthy. These are the things I'm looking to upgrade initially:

1. race fairings (ordered)
2. vortex rearsets (delivered, need to install when brake lines come in)
3. clip ons
4. better throttle
5. race break pads
6. core moto brake lines (ordered)
7. Woodcraft Engine covers (ordered)

These are things I'll buy now if you can ship to FL.
I'm also open to any other suggestions.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would suggest buying spare brake/clutch levers, foot pegs, and handlebars. It'll cost you about 100$ but their is nothing worse than going to the track, having a small accident, and not being able to ride anymore because your foot peg ground down to nothing. Save the rest of your money for tires and entry fees.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I've tracked my stock zx6r twice now, and I'm looking to make it more track worthy. These are the things I'm looking to upgrade initially:

1. race fairings
2. vortex rear sets
3. clip ons
4. 1/8 turn throttle
5. race break pads

I find the Vortex rearsets too aggressive and damaging to my boots; I prefer Woodcraft.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have core moto lines on the way, along with a new regulator and vortex rear sets. Anyone have suggestions on race fairings? I'm considering buying them from an ebay seller in Australia for $600 including shipping (fiberglass 4 piece set comes with fasteners too). He will also paint it for $160.

I've looked into stuff from sportbiketrackgear like the HB color form option $599, or the AB primered grey option $799 but painting locally will be much more. I just want to get out there with the least money spent.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have core moto lines on the way, along with a new regulator and vortex rear sets. Anyone have suggestions on race fairings? I'm considering buying them from an ebay seller in Australia for $600 including shipping (fiberglass 4 piece set comes with fasteners too). He will also paint it for $160.

I've looked into stuff from sportbiketrackgear like the HB color form option $599, or the AB primered grey option $799 but painting locally will be much more. I just want to get out there with the least money spent.
I’m pretty sure SBTG is having a sale on HB that could alter your numbers.

Edit: just looked $349 plus shipping

·
Registered
704 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

1. race fairings
2. vortex rearsets (done)
3. clip ons
4. 1/8 turn throttle
5. race break pads

Don’t overlook a radiator guard as an essential upgrade. Bikes in front of you on the track throw major rocks and can end your day really quick! I think it is well worth the effort!

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 to woodcraft rear sets. Awesome stuff, and I've experienced them breaking in half as designed - you can still ride on half a peg ?

Would also think about clutch/engine/stator covers. The stock ones like to break when sliding on the pavement (I've experienced this too) and you're definitely done if that happens.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've got a full set of Woodcraft engine cases for sale. I mean, I'm not trying to be a salesman or anything here, LOL, but all of my bikes have had 'em. But I don't need a spare set for the spare set for the other spare set, so that's the reason for the sale.

·
Registered
193 Posts

1. race fairings
2. vortex rearsets (done)
3. clip ons
4. 1/8 turn throttle
5. race break pads

I'm not sure where you're going to find a 1/8th turn throttle on the used market. It's kind of a niche part. MSS Performance or Robby Moto are a couple suggestions.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
+1 to woodcraft rear sets. Awesome stuff, and I've experienced them breaking in half as designed - you can still ride on half a peg ?

Would also think about clutch/engine/stator covers. The stock ones like to break when sliding on the pavement (I've experienced this too) and you're definitely done if that happens.
+1 on the covers. I got the GBRacing covers and they are really good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your input, I decided the protection of woodcraft engine covers is worth the effort and price. Plus I found these slightly used 09-12 zx6r Woodcraft engine covers from two different listings on Ebay for $186 total including shipping.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
The woodcraft stator cover is a really great part, but I had a heck of a time with the stator itself when I tried to install it. The torx bolts which hold the stator in place are really firm and I stripped a couple of them before giving up and just putting GB Racing cover over the top of the stock cover.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The woodcraft stator cover is a really great part, but I had a heck of a time with the stator itself when I tried to install it. The torx bolts which hold the stator in place are really firm and I stripped a couple of them before giving up and just putting GB Racing cover over the top of the stock cover.
Thanks for the warning, I'm gonna be super careful with this part of the install now. I already had a snapped off frozen bolt in the frame when removing right rear set, and after trying everything (except welding a bolt head on it) I drilled it out completely. I'm just gonna bolt/nut it for now, until I have time to try to tap and thread it. FML!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts