Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
2010 zx6r overheating and leaking brownish milk-like fluid from the coolant reservoir overflow hoes. I just got the bike last week. Any idea? Could it be a significant problem?

update (07/06/2021):

So I got it checked yesterday, and the radiator is full of this brownish fluid. They are currently flashing the radiator and the extent of damage is unknown. They say I may need to get a new radiator and components related to the cooling system. Maybe more damage ( head gasket) etc.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
oil getting into the coolant, perhaps?

or just old dirty fluid?

What does the oil in the engine look like?

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki ninja zx6r white/grey
41 Posts
Hi
2010 zx6r overheating and leaking brownish milk-like fluid from the coolant reservoir overflow hoes. I just got the bike last week. Any idea? Could it be a significant problem?

update (07/06/2021):

So I got it checked yesterday, and the radiator is full of this brownish fluid. They are currently flashing the radiator and the extent of damage is unknown. They say I may need to get a new radiator and components related to the cooling system. Maybe more damage ( head gasket) etc.

View attachment 108679 View attachment 108680
This is why I’m too afraid to buy used

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi

update (07/06/2021):

View attachment 108679 View attachment 108680
Looks like straight water. I’ll bet it froze and cracked the oil cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
THAT is 100% oil in your "coolant". It could be leaking thru at the impeller AND/OR leaking thru a engine gasket. I would also check your oil for "coolant".
and by "coolant" I MEAN WATER!

If you used water as your coolant...soooo not good.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Overheating, AND oil/coolant contamination is a bad sign. Hopefully caught early enough to not need to rebuild the motor, but that's probably not the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AND/OR leaking thru a engine g
THAT is 100% oil in your "coolant". It could be leaking thru at the impeller AND/OR leaking thru a engine gasket. I would also check your oil for "coolant".
and by "coolant" I MEAN WATER!

If you used water as your coolant...soooo not good.

So we only found oil in the coolant. No coolant in the oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Overheating, AND oil/coolant contamination is a bad sign. Hopefully caught early enough to not need to rebuild the motor, but that's probably not the case.
I just got the bike and did not do a good job of inspecting it before buying it. We only found oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil. The mechanic told me the head gasket is ok. Changing the water pump and oil cooler seals 1st to see if that was the problem. May need to get the full system ( water pump/cooler) if they are cracked.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
If you plan on using this on the street only, I'd recommend going back to standard 50/50 premixed coolant after you rebuild the oil and coolant pumps. (same shaft, with a dividing seal). Make certain you have flushed all the various kinds of glop out of the radiator and all of the hoses along with the pump. Water only could potentially cause a crack in the block....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you plan on using this on the street only, I'd recommend going back to standard 50/50 premixed coolant after you rebuild the oil and coolant pumps. (same shaft, with a dividing seal). Make certain you have flushed all the various kinds of glop out of the radiator and all of the hoses along with the pump. Water only could potentially cause a crack in the block...
Yes, only using it for the street. The radiator was flushed multiple times, and we cleaned out the glop as best we can. I will go with a 50/50 mix after the rebuild. Hopefully, that would solve the problem. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Usually, with bad seals in the waterpump you would have liquid dripping out of the weep hole at the bottom of the pump assembly.... that's there so you have early warning of pump failure. Do you recall seeing anything dripping off the pump assembly?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts