Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, quick question on a 2009 ZX6R for sale..

The bike is immaculate, perfectly clean, no issues, but the fairings/tank/tail/nose (the entire body) are all from a 2011 ZX6R. Does this raise any red flags to you guys? Any opinions? The bike is 100% an 09.

Have not ran the VIN yet, the VIN does not come up on CARFAX but does come up on Autocheck... Weird.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Gene

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

The bike is immaculate, perfectly clean, no issues, but the fairings/tank/tail/nose (the entire body) are all from a 2011 ZX6R. Does this raise any red flags to you guys? Any opinions? The bike is 100% an 09.

Have not ran the VIN yet, the VIN does not come up on CARFAX but does come up on Autocheck... Weird.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Gene
Stupid question maybe: how do you know it's 2011 fairings on an 09? Arent they the same? I've only had and 11 and a 12 but I thought the 09 was basically the same bike.

·
Registered
13,978 Posts

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Gene
Yes it does raise flags.

Replacement bodywork is expensive...... very few people swap it out without reason.

Typically that means a crash. How serious is the question. What repairs did they go cheap on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Stupid question maybe: how do you know it's 2011 fairings on an 09? Arent they the same? I've only had and 11 and a 12 but I thought the 09 was basically the same bike.
The body style is exactly the same and the same color (blue in this instance) but the decals on the fairings/tank/tail are different and the nose of the bike is black on a 2011.

dID YOU ASK THE OWNER WHY ?
Owner claimed he had no knowledge of this as he only owned it for about 5 months.

Will need to run VIN to further investigate... If someone has crashed it, doesn't it seem very unlikely they will use all OEM Kawi body pieces? Most I've seen just use solid aftermarket 'cheap' fairings/tank/etc.

EDIT: Any reason the VIN does not come up on CARFAX? It does show up in Autocheck and a few other vehicle history sites.

Gene

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If someone has crashed it, doesn't it seem very unlikely they will use all OEM Kawi body pieces? Most I've seen just use solid aftermarket 'cheap' fairings/tank/etc.
Gene
Not necessarily...I've replaced fairings with oem, and my boy did exactly what you are describing when he crashed his 13 636. If one can afford it, replacing with oem parts doesn't raise questions like the ones you are asking...if he used 09 fairings no one would know anything was ever replaced....kinda scary

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
The other scenario is someone used the bike for a racing platform and eventually decided to return it to street use.... and had to buy fairings to do so.

Going over the thing with a fine toothed comb would be critical. any safety wire holes, scratches, cracks underneath that perfect plastic would steer me away in a heartbeat. If the seller has only owned it for a few months, why sell it?

I'd be more willing to think the current owner fixed up a crashed/wrecked bike and is flipping it. Could be it wasn't actually totaled by the ins co; could be that it was, in another state and has been re-titled..... any number of scenarios are possible.

This is one where I'd be checking to see if the engine numbers and the frame VIN are from the same vehicle. Not saying that's a deal breaker, but it would affect the price of my offer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If someone has crashed it, doesn't it seem very unlikely they will use all OEM Kawi body pieces? Most I've seen just use solid aftermarket 'cheap' fairings/tank/etc.

Gene
Not 100% accurate, but a good possibility. Granted I didn't ever hit the tank, but I have bought numerous OEM parts. (including headlight housing on my first bike) I dropped my last R6 in the driveway years ago. For the 2 years after that, I searched forums, and craigslist for all OEM replacement parts. Guys who just wanted rid of the fairings for track bikes and such. The rest I bought on the internet. Bike was sold in mint condition with all OEM parts. Granted it never went down hard, just a fall in the driveway, but no one had any idea, because it was back to mint.

I would look into this more if I were you.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Do not rely on CARFAX and Autocheck. I haven't looked into it in some time, but last I checked they only have access to accident history that comes up through a police report and occasionally through insurance repairs. Most accidents do not have police reports for them. When I worked in the insurance industry, I had access to a claims database whose content was populated by insurance companies that participated in it (voluntary) and it had loads more accident information than CARFAX did (Autocheck wasn't really used at the time so I never compared). Even then, it was incomplete. Nothing beats a really solid inspection. The key issue is what kind of problems may be hidden by the body work. Either way, a lot of my friends ask me along when they go to look at a used vehicle. Countless times I've found evidence of major repairs even though the car had a clean CARFAX. One time, I found evidence the airbags had deployed and were stuffed back in and sealed up to look like it hadn't deployed.

Generally speaking, if a repaired vehicle (I'm more familiar with car repairs) can get past an inspection I perform on it (mind you I am very discerning and have a pretty solid understanding of body repair techniques so I know where/how to look for evidence of repairs), then even if there was an accident, it means the previous owner likely had it repaired properly at a very good shop. If I can see evidence of a repair, I tend to suspect that there could be hidden areas that may not have been repaired properly. Unless such a vehicle appears to have been involved in only a minor accident, I'll usually walk away or ask for substantial discount depending on my comfort level with the repairs.

To be clear, I'm not saying CARFAX and Autocheck aren't good tools. But just know that they can not replace a good inspection.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
This is one where I'd be checking to see if the engine numbers and the frame VIN are from the same vehicle. Not saying that's a deal breaker, but it would affect the price of my offer.
I've never had a title where both the VIN AND the engine number were recorded. In Michigan I even went to the police station to see if there was a way to track the engine number prior to buying a used engine, and the answer was no.

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
I've never had a title where both the VIN AND the engine number were recorded. In Michigan I even went to the police station to see if there was a way to track the engine number prior to buying a used engine, and the answer was no.
I haven't bothered looking at my owner's manual for the bike I bought as the 3rd owner.... I think there is a spot in there to record such info. I would expect the sales documents from the initial purchase to record that, as well. I could be wrong about that, but I'd expect it to be there rather than on the registration.

Does anyone know if the serial number on the engine is coded out the same way as a VIN? Does it give a year of mfg, or anything?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow.. first impression of this forum is very positive! You guys are seriously helpful.

This post was actually made for a friend checking out a bike, I do have my own 09 ZX6R, and it looks like I will definitely be sticking around on the forums!

Thanks again for everyones' help,
Gene

1 - 14 of 14 Posts