Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just moved houses, and during the move, the key to my bike got lost. 2009 zx6r. Took the title to the dealer and they said they cant replace the key without the key code for the bike. Where on the bike are the codes at? Ive heard that they are on the ignition switch and the seat lock. I really don't want to mess with the one way screws on the ignition, so is there anyway to get the rear seat off with no key to obtain this code?

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
New bikes have a little metal tab on the keychain with the key code. You have to have that number/tab and your license and registration for a re-key from the factory. Other than that... you might want to start digging for your key somewhere in those boxes from the move or call a locksmith who might be able to cut a new key.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took in my title, license, registration, insurance, etc, but they said the key code is on the back of the ignition switch as well as the rear seat lock. I just cant get the seat off to look at it lol. I bought the bike second hand so I only had one key with no key tab

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
You can probably work a slim jim under the seat and trip the lock with it. The lock mechanism isn't that strong. You might be able to hook the cable with something and pull it also. It's tedious and takes some time but it's doable.

The key code is on the seat lock barrel. It will be a code of Zxxxx where x is a number. So Z1234. I'm not sure they are actually on the ignition. Kawi didn't used to put them on the ignitions, or at least I don't think they did.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can probably work a slim jim under the seat and trip the lock with it. The lock mechanism isn't that strong. You might be able to hook the cable with something and pull it also. It's tedious and takes some time but it's doable.

The key code is on the seat lock barrel. It will be a code of Zxxxx where x is a number. So Z1234. I'm not sure they are actually on the ignition. Kawi didn't used to put them on the ignitions, or at least I don't think they did.
Awesome man....I appreciate the help. Ive got the sides of the tail section almost unbolted so Im going to try it again. Anyone have a picture of the lock mechanism?

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
If you can somehow pry open the bottom of the tail u should be able to see the cable that goes to the locking mechanism. Pull on the cable with something and the seat will pop open.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. Soon as I get off work in the morning ill try that. So the code is on that lock somewhere?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If anyone loses your key, the code is on the rear lock for the seat on the arm of the lock. Zxxxx

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's bs, cause i lost my key and i got the bike for a guy that lived 6 hours away from me and i called and gave them the vin and they gave me the code and went to the local kawi shop and order two new keys

M

·
0 Posts
sorry to bump but this is useful

Buy OEM blanks off ebay, take it with one of your keys to ACE, HD or Lowes, and have them cut you a copy for under $5. Of course this won't help people who lose their key but if you do this prior to losing it, you'll have plenty of spares. I have 5 hidden all around the house...

·
Registered
496 Posts
I am being proactive trying to get code before I need it, but I have no idea where the code is on the rear seat lock. Lock barrel - arm of lock? No idea what you are describing.

Is it (code) visible with just rear seat removed or do the tail fairings need to come off to see code?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
It's on the barrel of the lock. You have to remove some of the rear body work to get a look at it. Will be in the format of Zxxxx with the xxxx being four numerals. Not sure what else you need to know. Get in there and start digging until you can see the lock mechanism.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for the added info. - took off the just the seat to look for code before realizing the tail fairing needed to be removed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts